primary clutch removal

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do I need to pull the back part of primary clutch off???????????????don't have any tool,motor tech gone yad yad yad trading in for newer one ??????

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is what you need

Attachments

• tra%20spring%20comp.jpg
    tra%20spring%20comp.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 341

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is that to pull the other half off the motor,ive took the bolt out and only got half the clutch. some on said you need a speical puller?,that looks like the tool for changing springs no?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
boots - that is a clutch service tool.

carbon - yes - you need a clutch puller. Looks like a long bolt.

You will need to put the front of the clutch back on so that you can hold it from spinning to break the seal.

You can use water and the clutch bolt to take it off without having to buy a new puller, just need some teflon tape. I can explain later if you like, or someone else can, or you can search on here, I know there was a thread about it. I gott run to a meeting right now. will check back tonight.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"you can use water and the clutch bolt to take it off without having to buy a new puller, just need some teflon tape"

. ???????????please tell:d

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you did not say that you need to take off motor and yes there is a thread about this just search for it

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"you can use water and the clutch bolt to take it off without having to buy a new puller, just need some teflon tape"

tape a fitting of the same thread as your clutch and pressure up the system with a baker pump.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

carbon - I tried finding the old thread but no luck. So here goes my explanation:

There are two thread sections for the clutch bolt to thread through - one in the clutch and one in the crank. When you screw the clutch bolt in, you will feel it hit the threads and then you will get past those threads and there will be a spot where it is loose and you can't push it in and you can't pull it out (this is before you screw it into the crank threads - second set of threads). The first set of threads are threaded in the clutch (this is where the clutch puller would grab and push on the end of the crank to push the cluch off).

This is how I would do it.

Thread the bolt in until it just starts screwing into the first set of threads and make a mark on the bolt, then screw it in until it just passes through the first set of threads, make a second mark on the bolt. This will be the useable thread length in the clutch (don't want to risk only being threaded in a couple of threads on either end and stripping them out). So lets say for instance this length is 1" of useable thread. Make a mark on the bolt half way between the marks already made, this will ensure that the bolt is engaged in pretty much the middle of the threads (call this Mark "A"). Then tip the sled on its side, fill the clutch bolt hole with water up to a point that the bolt gets tight as it is screwed in to about Mark "A" or just before Mark "A" (allows for some tightening of the bolt) - might take a couple of tries to get the water amount right. Then wrap the threads of the bolt with teflon tape and screw it in and tighten, as it tightens into the clutch, it will force the water into the taper and should (hydraulically) pop the clutch off.

Lots of guys have had good luck with this method, I have never personally tried it but lots have said it works really well. Hopefully they will speak up here and say so.

Hope that makes sense.

rmk mod

Reaction score
A clutch puller is way too cheap and easy to get thean to bother screwing around with h20. Yes h20 will work if you need, but it is not how the manufacture designed it to come off.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A clutch puller is way too cheap and easy to get thean to bother screwing around with h20. Yes h20 will work if you need, but it is not how the manufacture designed it to come off.

Actually the water trick is far easier than a puller apparently (as indicated by lots of people) and by using the water pressure to hydraulic the clutch off, it should be far easier on the crank bearings and hardware as well. No big bangs and pops when the clutch comes off. With the water method, you are using the hydraulic pressure to force the water to pop the clutch off (the water does the work). With a traditional puller, you are using brute force to literally pull the clutch off the crank.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either method is better than the guy I saw pounding his clutch off with a hammer. Unbelieveable. Yes,the crank lasted about an hour. Then he was REALLY ticked off.:nono:

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a must have.$41 to my door clutch bolt from Royal dis.water idea sounded good.as yes clutch came off fast and hard. wasn't ready to ketch a clutch:eek:

thanks all for help.:d:d:beer:

Top Bottom