Price of diesel going up still

taz3038

Reaction score
How come gas is dropping so much in price and diesel goes up, at least where I live anyway. There still can't be a shortage of diesel still from last year is there? When will it ever go down

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a big factor in me buying a gasser one ton this week instead of the diesel. Not the only factor but a big one

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled a thirty foot trailer from Edmonton to PG with a gasser one ton a few weeks ago, 30l/100k,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes but do you do it on a daily basis? Take that pull once in awhile plus daily driving empty then compare it to the cost of a diesel. Of course this will be different if you do it weekly.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not much worse than my 26! Not driving slow but still pretty bad.
Edit. Duramax LBZ. Twin turbo.

'12 T4
Husaberg 570FE

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not much worse than my 26! Not driving slow but still pretty bad.
Edit. Duramax LBZ. Twin turbo.

'12 T4
Husaberg 570FE

You probably didn't have to turn up the radio 'case the engine was sitting at 6K in second though??

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You probably didn't have to turn up the radio 'case the engine was sitting at 6K in second though??

Only 5500!! Hahaha. I did pull the trailer to red deer area and back ( 300km loop ) at 105kph and my mileage got better by exactly 0.5 mpg. So I usually go faster. By the end of the trip the baby is usually screaming so one minute less is welcome!

'12 T4
Husaberg 570FE

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Burning diesel is job security to me, so it takes part if the sting away too haha

'12 T4
Husaberg 570FE

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of diesel used in the world. From trucks to trains to ships.

Imagine what the price would be if all the heavy haulers and
locomotives had to go to clean burning?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Motorweek this week had a little feature on the "super truck" semi of the future. Apparently the manufacturers can get their semis to better fuel mileage within a few years, maybe that will change the amount consumed.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking to one of the instructors at Nait and apparently all new diesels will have both DPF and SCR by 2015, with certain gen sets being the exception. Kind of makes me laugh that small diesel equipment will have all this equipment while many large cargo ships go around belching blue and black clouds 24/7.

But with all new equipment requiring it I'm sure someone will find more fuel efficient ways of reducing emissions.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes.

"In March 2008, EPA finalized a three part program that will dramatically reduce emissions from diesel locomotives of all types -- line-haul, switch, and passenger rail. The rule will cut PM emissions from these engines by as much as 90 percent and NOx emissions by as much as 80 percent when fully implemented. The standards are based on the application of high-efficiency catalytic aftertreatment technology for freshly manufactured engines built in 2015 and later.

EPA standards also apply for existing locomotives when they are remanufactured. Requirements are also in place to reduce idling for new and remanufactured locomotives."

Locomotives | Nonroad Engines, Equipment and Vehicles | US EPA

Or the technical emissions regs.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like rather than creating a diesel engine that uses less diesel but provides the same amount of power or more. They just create these mechanisms like DPF that reduces emissions but causes the engines to use more diesel? They want us to use more fuel obviously because the rich get richer. It's much like not finding the cure for cancer because you make more money of treatment than a cure.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds kinda backwards, but the new diesels are very clean burning. If you compare a mid 90's cummins to one that is in today's motors, it is pretty astounding.

Too bad the technology is not bulletproof and so many people have problems with it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like rather than creating a diesel engine that uses less diesel but provides the same amount of power or more. They just create these mechanisms like DPF that reduces emissions but causes the engines to use more diesel? They want us to use more fuel obviously because the rich get richer. It's much like not finding the cure for cancer because you make more money of treatment than a cure.
Yes, u delete the dpf ect, chip it with stock or close to stock and gain 5-8 actual mpg..... Pays for it self fast, truck runs cleaner and has more power, uses less fuel cause it has more power

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, u delete the dpf ect, chip it with stock or close to stock and gain 5-8 actual mpg..... Pays for it self fast, truck runs cleaner and has more power, uses less fuel cause it has more power
Dont throw away your old parts if you modify, around here they wont take your truck on trade if it has been altered. It is illegal for them to sell an altered truck and a big fine is levied, to go with that the dealership has to return the vehicle to stock on their dime.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just to clarify though is this on a 6.4 PSD? From what I've heard on newer diesels particularly for the 6.7PSD there is little to be gained by deleting the emissions equipment, maybe 1mpg, obviously with a programmer the lie-o-meter in the dash can say anything, but when hand calculated there is not much to be gained.

For example my old LB7 Duramax only gets 15-20% better economy than my 6.7 PSD, and it has no emissions equipment what so ever (even the crankcase vents to atmosphere), where my 6.7 is fully emissions intact, and I can attribute most of this difference to the Ford being 1200lbs heavier and having a substantially larger frontal area creating more wind resistance, so I'm not sure the emissions equipment lose that much.

Top Bottom