pressure treated wood and aluminum on deck

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard this isn't a good mix??? all I have.... so can I stain the wood or paint it any suggestions welcome. Been awhile since I've posted but nice to be back!!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to Rona and got a container of wood treatment. Comes in green or clear.
Used clear and retreated wood.
Stain or paint won’t last lmo

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google Galvanic Action.
I will tell how to stop the corrosion.
Depends on what wood treated with though - you will need to know this.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used aluminum checker plate instead of wood?

DUS

Reaction score
There was someone who posted recently about a deck he overhauled and line X’d or rhino guarded the plywood for his deck. Looked slick.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was someone who posted recently about a deck he overhauled and line X’d or rhino guarded the plywood for his deck. Looked slick.

That line x might actually be a decent way to go. I personally hate the wood no matter what it warps dripping sleds and sunshine no chance. When my current deck(one year old) starts warping enough I will be using composite. $1000 is what I was told from guy at cross trax as an upgrade probably a little cheaper if you do it yourself.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that would be slippery as all get up!

Mine is checker plate. Slippery when wet! Walk on the ski glides when you can. No maintenance for the last 12 years. Sun,age and weather do not hurt it. Stays very light too.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've tried everything. Now I just go to Ukrainian Tire and get the cheap undercoat tar. It is in the bodywork section and comes in a can, about 2/3 of a litre. Its thick so you need to thin with gasoline or some other thinner before painting with a brush. It holds up pretty good but it gets sticky if you spill gas on it. About $10 does the entire deck. Gone are the days of paying $80+ for something fancy like box liner that held up no better. Other things I have tried. 2 part epoxy paint, stain, and one deck I completely replaced the wood with 1/2" plastic. That was good except warped bad when hot and needed extra bracing underneath.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Treated plywood lasts 8-10 years but doesn’t look new after couple years as expected.
Coating is a waste of time on plywood. IMO
If your not wanting to spend the 1000 ish on good material just replace treated plywood.
I am fussy and have tried the checker plate aluminum and went back to treated .

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used fir. And just painted with a cheap wood paint. It’s held up not too bad for a year and a half now but next year I’m going to redo it with something better. I thought about aluminum sprayed with line x as it seems to hold up fairly decent in a truck box. 70% of the surface is covered with Superglides anyways.

Composite is just a little too pricey and heavy for my liking so I think I’m going to try using marine grade again. That stuff lasted 10 years previously on this deck with some sort of sealer. Both the aluminum and plywood were still in good shape too when I removed the wood.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas!! I think I will just plan on re-staining every year. I like the look of black and will use plastic superglides on it as well.

Irocaz

Reaction score
I did a sled deck with spruce plywood 3/4"(heavy but really stiffened up the frame) for the deck and 1/2" on the side slides. 2 coats of semi transparent cedar on both sides of all plywood, all SS screws (very pricey), and super glides. after 1 full year and left in the truck outside it still looked good/fresh. some carbide marks on a few spots but a dab of stain and wipe off with a cloth covered up the marks really well.

I wish i could find pictures of it, always got comments on the black/ cedar - it really looked awesome! ended up selling it to buy the 7' + 2' Marlon deck

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a used deck a few years ago that the previous owner had Line-X'd the wood. The middle was done on just the top and is fine. The wings were done top and bottom. This is a good idea as if you only coat one side the wood curls because it catches a lot of spray on the bottom when extended or even wicks it up from the middle when collapsed. A problem arose in that water would get into the side wood where it fit into the aluminum extrusions. The wood sucked up the moisture and because it was 95% wrapped in Line-X it couldn't dry and rotted. When I repaired it I had to go from the original 5/8 plywood to 1/2" so that after the new Line-x was fully applied it would fit the channel in the aluminum. Once coated the 1/2" was just as rigid as the 5/8. Now hopefully it's good for life. A bonus of all this is my box is rain proof.

Top Bottom