Premium to regular

flandersander

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and opinions. I ended up buying a cheap used slip tank, throwing it on the back of my truck, and just filling that with premium. Thanks again.

Dadbro

Reaction score
I just bought a rmz 250, and the guy before me always ran premium. I don't have really any access to premium fuel. So to run regular, do I need to jet it up or down, or can I just run it?

I here you there, we only have regular and diesel at our little gas station here in the sticks.
I would recomend premium fuel forsure, I found that Husky premium is 94 octane so I fill up a jerrycan and store it in a cool place till I need to fill up. but dont use it if it sat all winter.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its Dependant on the compression of your motor like others have said.

The reason is with a higher compression motor the fuel must burn/explode slower as to not hurt the motor with detonation. basically detonation is when it explodes too fast and the gas has no where to go which is really really bad for your motor.

Octane has nothing to do with power of the fuel it just causes the fuel to burn slower.

so the question you need to answer is ..What compression is the piston(s) in your machine.

If your running 9-10 : 1 you can probably get away with regular pump gas.

If your running 10.5-12 :1 you should be looking into premium 91 or better octane fuel @ 12 you should be maybe even looking for higher than 91 as it might still not be enough .. most guys try to run 95+ for 12:1 comp

After 12:1 comp -- like 12.5 - 13 :1 comp motors most people start running race fuel or av gas.

hope that helps.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Run premium in everything if you can. It's a better, cleaner, more efficient fuel. If its not around I would add octane boost as it also contains the cleaners etc. that premium would have. I even run premium in my chainsaw.
Try this sometime, fill your tank with regular ... see how far you go then try premium and try it again. You'll see what I'm talking about. :beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your jetted right altitude dont matter

Altitude always matters in relation to fuel octane and motor compression. This is a basic understanding of motors. DaveB's comments are entirely correct. Jetting is a mixture issue for the stoichiometric ratio of air to fuel, octane relates to a fuels ability to resist detonation, which relates to cylinder pressure. Jetting is used to compensate for altitude and less atmospheric air pressure to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio when the carburetor venturi has less pressure than at lower elevation for a given amount of fuel - not for octane requirements. As cylinder pressure goes down - octane requirements go down. You can't have one without the other - or BOOM goes your motor.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I here you there, we only have regular and diesel at our little gas station here in the sticks.
I would recomend premium fuel forsure, I found that Husky premium is 94 octane so I fill up a jerrycan and store it in a cool place till I need to fill up. but dont use it if it sat all winter.

I'd Stay away from Husky 94 as it contains Ethanol. There are a ton of threads on here about Ethanol and off road vehicles so I won't elaborate and derail the thread.

Top Bottom