Premium Fuel (best quality)

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just wondering where is the best place to pick-up premium fuel for the sled. I know ethanol (which i heard is bad for storage) is in most places as well as some places dont have a dedicated premium line, so you actually end up with a few liters of crap before you get any premium.

Any suggestions?

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My understanding is there is no ethanol in Shell premium (not saying they are the only ones though). If there is no dedicated line I will pump a few litres in my truck. When I drove diesel I carried a small jerry can to purge the line.. that eventually went in my lawn mower or

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just wondering where is the best place to pick-up premium fuel for the sled. I know ethanol (which i heard is bad for storage) is in most places as well as some places dont have a dedicated premium line, so you actually end up with a few liters of crap before you get any premium.

Any suggestions?

I did the search for ya- Read away, this thread pretty much covers anything and everything in regards to fuel.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/costco-fuel-56721.html

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your really concerned about your octane rating, go buy 20L of AV Gas (100LL) and mix 5 litres AV GAS to PREMIUM... All the av gas does is make sure you have your octane rating... And its a "DRY" fuel...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the search for ya- Read away, this thread pretty much covers anything and everything in regards to fuel.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/costco-fuel-56721.html
As kidder17 said check out the above link. I posted on it and have since talked to a Parkland Rep. Just buy fuel at location that goes through lots of premium.No ethenol in any premium!! All fuel after 90 days starts to loose octane if it isn't in a sealed container.
Tested a 1 liter jug with 1/2 91 octane and the other 110 octane and it was only a rating of 93 octane.
The fellow from shell said also not to mix fuels . If you need more octane use av gas or 110. He has high performance engines also and will not mix fuels.
Just my findings.

SNAFU

Reaction score
As mentioned above, make I try to find a pump with a dedicated hose for premium. If not, chances are that the hose and pump is full of regular 87 octane, then I'd fill my buddy's sled first!

cbsharp

Reaction score
As mentioned above, make I try to find a pump with a dedicated hose for premium. If not, chances are that the hose and pump is full of regular 87 octane, then I'd fill my buddy's sled first!
Haha i fill my buddys sled first in the same scenario, he is none the wiser!

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've also read not to mix race fuel with reg or prem gas.
If you guys always fill your buddys sleds first no wonder you guys have no one to ride with, you blew up there motor or there sled runs like crap all the time. lol.

jdaniel

Reaction score
question to elkford snowmobilers, how is the premium off road fuel at racetrac gas? any problems with it?

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score
Why not mix fuels, I've mixed for years & never had issues? Never had the octane tested, where can a guy get that done?

Stantheman

Reaction score
Haha i fill my buddys sled first in the same scenario, he is none the wiser!

I'm always willing to jump up on the deck to fuel the sleds, that way I choose who gets the "hose gas." Its never my sled.

If we're towing the enclosed, its the lazy fella who stayed in the truck.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not mix fuels, I've mixed for years & never had issues? Never had the octane tested, where can a guy get that done?
Now one said you would have issues and all i was doing was passing the info on that was presented to me buy someone that nows fuel. I don't know fuel so i ask lots of questions to people that should know.
I have been mixing fuel also but all he is saying that it isn't a good idea to as it screws up both fuels.
Going to start just running AV gas as buy the time you buy 110 at about 3.50+/- per liter and mix it with 91 at 1.10 +/- it is about the same cost.

Top Bottom