Preferred chainsaw brand(s)

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm using 16" Stihl right now and has been working great. Starts every time no problem.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to both dealers and try them out to get a feel for a saw. It really depends on what you are going to be using it for. If you are doing trail clearing and lots of dead fall you will want a longer bar for sure to help reduce bending over. If you are going to be carrying and walking throught he bush with it alot, you may want a little bit smaller, lighter saw. Also be sure you buy at a dealer that you like and trust - it also helps if they happen to be open on at least one day of the weekend as that is when you will most likely use the saw more and need a new chain, oil, etc... unexpectedly. I run a Husqvarna 345 e that is pretty much just used for trail cleaning with the sled club. It's been a good saw but I will get a larger one next time with a 20" bar.

How about for us cheap campers who don't have a million dollars to spend? Did I mention I am cheap and I don't want to spend 500 dollars on a chainsaw.:d

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like TT said, this is just like the Ford vs Chevy thing.
My dad has been using Stihl his entire life for everything , back in the day when he was a faller, to cutting firewood and these days for running his mill. He will swear by them. Guess in the end though, it's what you prefer and what fits your budget.

94fordguy

Always been a fan of Stihl myself. My dad's had a Stihl 084 longer than I can recall, it might be older than I am for all I know, best saw you could ever hope for. It has a 28" bar on it most of the time but we have several bigger bars all the way up to a 50":eek::d

Gotta say I do like the smaller one we picked up about 8-10 years ago, an 026. I think its bar is about 20" or so, nice lightweight compared to the 084. Only problem we have had with it was after we left some old fuel in it for a couple years when we just didn't need it, other than that it has been an awesome saw:d

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about for us cheap campers who don't have a million dollars to spend? Did I mention I am cheap and I don't want to spend 500 dollars on a chainsaw.:d

You get what you pay for. Brands like Poulan, etc... are JUNK !!!!!!!!!! Buddy got one from crappy tire and it is absolute garbage.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Husky 61 with a 20" bar that is now 21 years old and on about the 12th chain, I think the third bar and the ORIGINAL PISTON. You get what you pay for.

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with either Stihl or Husky, partial to Stihl, cause its what we use at work, but I know lots of guys that love their Husky saws too.

Cabinboy

Reaction score
Stihl AV 28 Wood Boss. Purchased Aug 5 1987. Replaced 20" bar about 5 years ago. I always have at least 4 chains going at a time. Never want to be without a sharp chain. Been very very happy with that purchase. Think i paid close to $500 back then. It has been worth every penny. About 5 cords a year, plus quadding, camping, and sledding on trails around the cabin. Nuff said:d

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you are running a tank of gas through it a year then one of the store brands is probably fine (poulin etc) If you are planning to use it a fair bit, spend the extra cash, you should never have to spend again. I had a little poulin lasted 2 seasons of trail cleaning then cratered. Own a husky 450e now.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about for us cheap campers who don't have a million dollars to spend? Did I mention I am cheap and I don't want to spend 500 dollars on a chainsaw

You can buy a saw with a case for $250.00 to $300.00 easliy

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's just for a camping trip or two a year, get whatever's cheap. If you are going to use it a lot, get a professional grade Husky or Stihl. I have two Stihl 046's that I cut survey line with 60-100 days a year for 9 years, and only did a carb kit on them about 4 years ago.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ya well u can get them on sale for as little as 269.00 with a cas and chain, and occasionally we get used ones in that customers trade up so dont be afraid to ask if there are any .....we sold probably 5 used this yr...n about 65 new...

T

Les Meat

Reaction score
I have raped many an acre of forest (pillaged a few women as well) and have used Stihl the whole time. I have never needed an extra saw afraid mine wouldn't run. Whatever floats your boat.

Most importantly is to keep your saw sharp. A sharp saw is a safe saw.

I personally file the rakers first thing. 2 or 3 passes on each raker.

File your saw evenly....each tooth both ways.

Your saw should be pulling into the wood....do not push!

If your saw starts to get dull...stop immediately and sharpen or you'll rock out worse.

Silly point but wear chaps and eye protection.

If you can't file a saw, just do like my friends and get me to do it.

Cheers
Chris

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sthil or husky are good brands. I got a sthil 390 with a 18" bar. I will say this much though, get a husky chain as they are wey better. I got the sthil chain on mine now and im gonna upgrade to a husky chain. I have owned my 390 for 2 years and no issues so far.

Blu du

Reaction score
we use a gallon of oil every year which mixes about 55 gallons gas. i also hit my rackers with a flat file 1 time every time i sharpen my saw. nothing funer then cutting a 20" oak and try to hold the saw back.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I vote for Stihl all the way, just this week-end i was cutting some trees at the farm set the saw down near the quad, my little guy needed a diaper change so without thinking jumped on the quad and bang drove right over the bar, i was so mad at myself i thought i screwed it up picked er up dusted off the mud fired it up and it ran like a dream. Nothing was bent and it ran fine. They are good solid saws.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pipes that is a sweet storage box, anyway i have a stihl 025 that i bought off the old man, still works great I have put on a new bar and a couple of chains but she runs like a dream.

zrtdarryl

Reaction score
nordegg summers lake havasu winters <retirement p
if you are frugal like me < i mean absolutely cheap > and only use it for 5-10 mins at a time for camping wood go get a poulin. i have had my poulin wildthing for 5 years and the biggest thing is to always use gas stabilizer if you dont it will hardly start and run like crap
i also notice that when it is time to cut lots of wood the guys with stihls and huskys always want to show off and this also helps to cut done on the actual workload too ! < did i not also say i am lazy >

Top Bottom