Preferred chainsaw brand(s)

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a bigger and better chainsaw. Just wondering what everyone else might be using. What brand? Model? Bar length?

Thanks!

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I bought a Stihl 290 I think it is nicknamed the Farm Boss, It is a little heavy but will cut anything and everything I will ever need.
You will get people that like Stihl and you will get people who like Husq
I bought the Stihl because i could get a better deal to a compareable model.
I love mine, but i have found that the Stihl chains IMO SUCK, I have been running a Oregon chain this time and it has stayed sharp at least 10 longer that the stihl chain I was running before.
I Think stihl and Husq both make great saws and i dont think you would be disapointed with either brand.
Just my 2 cents

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
170 Stihl for small jobs & MS 361 for heavy work...15 & 20 inch bar lenghts !

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both the Stihl and Husky brands and they both have their good and bad points. The single biggest thing I would reccomend with either brand is to step up from a consumer level saw and into the pro level, it'll cost less in the long run as you won't be changing saws every 5 years. I have a Husky that was built in the '70s (I think) it was a my Dad's and it still runs just fine.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both Stihl and Husqvarna, I wouldnt buy another Stihl. I bought a Husqvarna 357 XPG, tons of power and the 20'' bar is great. I work at a Fire college, and they have both kinds for doing ventilation, the stihls are always broken and the Husqvarnas are always going.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 535 Jonsered with an 18" bar. ran that saw for a lot of years still like it. Upgraded to a Stihl 361 with a 20"bar. Bought it at T&T Powersports. Great saw a little heavier than my Jonsered but also way more power. Built a box to carry it in store a gallon of fuel and a gallon of oil files chainsaw pants gloves earmuffs and everything that you need when heading out to the bush.

heres a pic of the box for the Stihl. don't have one of the Jonsered

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I run a husqvarna model 55 with a 28" bar and skip tooth chain. I originally bought it to clear an acre of bush for a building site. Gone thru numerous bars and chains. Originally it came with a 16" bar. Reasons for going longer was cause i was tired of bending over. The skip tooth chain allows for the longer bar without losing power.

As mentioned earlier i would definately get a professional saw. The quality is that much better.

Remember if u get a stihl , it's short for stihl won't start. I've used them and by comparrison they are heavy and aren't reliable.

Jonsored Is also a quality name, built by Husqvarna. They generally are a cheaper consumer model, but offer a professional line as well.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got both a husky and a stihl, the husky is a 272 w/24 inch bar for the big stuff. the husky eats trees like my Doo Doo eats Poo Poo`s. LOL

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 290 with a 18' bar. It is a great saw and cuts everything I need it for. I do not use it for work just hunting and when I go quadding or cutting up fire wood at the cabin. I think I paid $450.00 with an extra chain and case.. I have found also that the Stihl chains don't stay sharp for long as well.. Just make sure you buy a good saw!!!! don't waste your money on a cheap POS.

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 husquarva's a 371 xp and a newer rancher 455 like theme both. go with a 20" bar, good for the bigger bar, you wont regret it. that my 2 cents

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still own my Stihl 009L. I bought almost 15 years ago, in St. Albert. Used it to the point I thought it would have died, out at Sandy Beach, when I lived there. It has a 16" bar. You can run it all day, and it will never tire you out. It's been all over Alberta, and BC. Went through numerous chains, and only one bar. It will spark under any condition, and will fit in a quad box. I was so happy with it, that I bought a Stihl weed wacker 3 years ago.

Bottom line, Stihl first.

Blu du

Reaction score
i have a 372 and 3- 350 huskys. the 372 has cut about a hundred cord of fire would. have wore out 2 sprockets and 2 bars. and still runs like new. a consumer saw won't last 1 year of heavy cutting i have been told

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to both dealers and try them out to get a feel for a saw. It really depends on what you are going to be using it for. If you are doing trail clearing and lots of dead fall you will want a longer bar for sure to help reduce bending over. If you are going to be carrying and walking throught he bush with it alot, you may want a little bit smaller, lighter saw. Also be sure you buy at a dealer that you like and trust - it also helps if they happen to be open on at least one day of the weekend as that is when you will most likely use the saw more and need a new chain, oil, etc... unexpectedly. I run a Husqvarna 345 e that is pretty much just used for trail cleaning with the sled club. It's been a good saw but I will get a larger one next time with a 20" bar.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey,Buddy. Stihl 290 with 18 inch bar. Mine has been trouble free for 2 years now. I do agree that the chains are not the best, but I really like the saw.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both saws r good, depends on what u want, its like the ford n chev thing.

i have sold stihl for 18 yrs and the only time guys have a hard time starting it, is fuel is bad, mixture is off, or they been playing with the carb settings, imo.

i think it is important to get a saw that is matched to what u do, you can buy a saw for 269.00 or 1400.00 so get a pro saw if your building a cabin or heat with wood. but if your a just regular saw user, clean up, occasional bucking up a tree, then get the one on sale(of the stihl or husky) which ever u choose.

tips. -
mix only what u need for fuel usually 1 gal. is enough for most jobs, - as the quality of our fuel gets worse or at least it has in the last 10 yrs. imo.

barsize- talking to the stihl techs there are 3 choices of bar length for each saw the make. the saw is designed to work best with the middle size- shorter or longer bar length is for convenience. the exception to the rule being when u get into the highend pro saws there are more choices of lengths.

chain life- ????? we have had good luck with stihl chain but im no lumberjack, from my experience as long as you keep the chain out of the dirt and off the rocks, and sharpen it correctly it should last as long as an other brand. but if you have ur prefference, then its ur choice...

fuel mix- this is very important to any saw, stihl makes diff size mix oil for 1 gal- 2 gal- 5 gal uses, which i like cause its easy..

any questions i would be happy to answer, find someone who sells saws and knows what the info is on the saw lineup that they sell, like whats the diff between the pro saw and the consumer besides the price?

- pro saws easier to service- better drive system (clutch-easily geared) and yes u can gear up or down a chainsaw....
- pro saws have more vibration dampners than the consumer ones which mean smoother operation under longer usage... ie 3-8 hrs of packing and running.
- engine porting- you can't go just by cc as the pro saws that are 50 cc are twice the saw that the 45cc consumer saws are...
- different bars on pro saws and higher end consumer saws have a greasable tip that helps prolong bar life under heavy usage.
- air intake on a prosaw is designed to be easy and quick to clean when you refuel.
-chain adjustment is easier-(imo - i dont like the quick adjust-no tools needed- consumer saws, tensioners dont stay tight.)

anything i forgot---oh ya balance. on any stihl saw you can balance it by holding the handle with two fingers any where on the wrapsection, regardless of the bar size u put on it.....neat huh......

and the thing i like about selling them is that stihl offers a 7 day money back warranty if for any reason you buy a stihl and dont like it! plus regular one year warranty on parts and life time on electrical!!!!

and this is offered from stihl- not brand x oil - who offers to double manufactures warranty- if there oil is used from new....who several business sell with there product because of this..

thats my 6 cents...

any questions????

t.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both saws r good, depends on what u want, its like the ford n chev thing.

i have sold stihl for 18 yrs and the only time guys have a hard time starting it, is fuel is bad, mixture is off, or they been playing with the carb settings, imo.

i think it is important to get a saw that is matched to what u do, you can buy a saw for 269.00 or 1400.00 so get a pro saw if your building a cabin or heat with wood. but if your a just regular saw user, clean up, occasional bucking up a tree, then get the one on sale(of the stihl or husky) which ever u choose.

tips. -
mix only what u need for fuel usually 1 gal. is enough for most jobs, - as the quality of our fuel gets worse or at least it has in the last 10 yrs. imo.

barsize- talking to the stihl techs there are 3 choices of bar length for each saw the make. the saw is designed to work best with the middle size- shorter or longer bar length is for convenience. the exception to the rule being when u get into the highend pro saws there are more choices of lengths.

chain life- ????? we have had good luck with stihl chain but im no lumberjack, from my experience as long as you keep the chain out of the dirt and off the rocks, and sharpen it correctly it should last as long as an other brand. but if you have ur prefference, then its ur choice...

fuel mix- this is very important to any saw, stihl makes diff size mix oil for 1 gal- 2 gal- 5 gal uses, which i like cause its easy..

any questions i would be happy to answer, find someone who sells saws and knows what the info is on the saw lineup that they sell, like whats the diff between the pro saw and the consumer besides the price?

- pro saws easier to service- better drive system (clutch-easily geared) and yes u can gear up or down a chainsaw....
- pro saws have more vibration dampners than the consumer ones which mean smoother operation under longer usage... ie 3-8 hrs of packing and running.
- engine porting- you can't go just by cc as the pro saws that are 50 cc are twice the saw that the 45cc consumer saws are...
- different bars on pro saws and higher end consumer saws have a greasable tip that helps prolong bar life under heavy usage.
- air intake on a prosaw is designed to be easy and quick to clean when you refuel.
-chain adjustment is easier-(imo - i dont like the quick adjust-no tools needed- consumer saws, tensioners dont stay tight.)

anything i forgot---oh ya balance. on any stihl saw you can balance it by holding the handle with two fingers any where on the wrapsection, regardless of the bar size u put on it.....neat huh......

and the thing i like about selling them is that stihl offers a 7 day money back warranty if for any reason you buy a stihl and dont like it! plus regular one year warranty on parts and life time on electrical!!!!

and this is offered from stihl- not brand x oil - who offers to double manufactures warranty- if there oil is used from new....who several business sell with there product because of this..

thats my 6 cents...

any questions????

t.

Terry you have room in you hot tub for a diehard Stihl user?

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run a husky 365 special with a 20" bar.....haven't meet a tree here in alberta to scare it yet.....we run stihl chop saws at work and there great too. Don't think you'll go wrong with either

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 2 Huskys, a 20 year old Model #42,16 inch bar, still runs like a top, and was given a 2 year old 350,16 inch bar, about 5 years ago. The 350 was not running, guy I got it from said it was going to cost more to fix than it was worth. I tore the engine down, looked like something hard had caught the edge of the exhaust port and squished the top piston ring. I freed-up the ring put her together, couple pulls of the rope and she came to life:d Has cut many trees since!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stihl 390
It has been good.
Am using a different different chain its more for rescue cutting.
It costs more money and cuts slower but if you hit a little dirt or a nail it's more forgiving.
You can also grease the roller wheel at the end of the bar.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya well what ever I cut 12 -15 cord a year with my Husqavarna 266 with a 21 inch .......had Stihl but I am brand specific ..

Husqavarna only used to cut line 3 miles a day on one .......could'nt pay me enough to part with my Husky

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

the problem i got with Stihl is the fricken balance points ........JMHO

Top Bottom