Preauthorized Border crossing info

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any one has heard of a pre approval for crossing into the US with your toys, (quads, sleds)? Some type of barcode that they scan at the border that makes it easier.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard of anything like that 2 years ago we went dirt biking to Idaho and Oregon the us customs (at coutts ) people never even asked us any thing about our dirt bikes when we crossed back to canada again they never asked us about the bikes at all

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your are referring to PAPS tracking info (US bound cargo) and PARS tracking (Canada bound cargo). When shipping cargo, we get this # (bar code) from the carrier and this # is matched up with customs documents that were pre-sent to broker by the shipper indicating this #. Unless cargo has been selected for random checking, all border requirements have been met in advance.

Big Diesel

Reaction score
I cross the border all the time and no issues, make sure you have proof of owner ship

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your are referring to PAPS tracking info (US bound cargo) and PARS tracking (Canada bound cargo). When shipping cargo, we get this # (bar code) from the carrier and this # is matched up with customs documents that were pre-sent to broker by the shipper indicating this #. Unless cargo has been selected for random checking, all border requirements have been met in advance.

That was the first thing I thought of as well. When I was hauling farm equipment north we would attach the bar codes to the paper work before we faxed it to our broker for customs clearance. When we got to the border they scan our paper work and if all good away we go.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any one has heard of a pre approval for crossing into the US with your toys, (quads, sleds)? Some type of barcode that they scan at the border that makes it easier.

Thats paps and pars for a broker either for import or export if you are doing to your self you don't need to be set up all the info you need is here Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to import anything, just a group going to the St Anthony dunes this summer. I heard this was more for coming back into Canada though.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride primarily in the US and have no issues at either side of the border. They usually ask for proof of ownership crossing back into Canada. At worst they want to see the serial number on the machine to verify it. Depends on how cold it is where you cross...

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we race in the US, we carry a list of everything we carry...ie race bikes, major components, major tools, the kist includes make, model, serial number, date purchased and value at time of purchase. Spare parts and misc tools are listed in groups...

When going down we stop at the Canadian customs side and ask them to view the list (about 50% of the time, they'll look in the trailer, check a couple serial numbers) then stamp the list. Makes coming back a breeze....This applies more for racing and frequent crossing, wont worry about it for recreational riding...

Just declare anything you buy, watched a first timer get caught in a randem search with a new motor in his trailer, that he didnt declare, he was charged, fined and banned, gave up racing in the US....

Top Bottom