Pre-Season Maintenance

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just thought I would put it out there on what you are all doing to get the machines ready for snow. I thought I would start it off with a list of stuff that I do, and if there is anything else that you can think of, please add to the list. Thought it would be good for some of the new sledders to know, and share some of the knowledge between all of us. I'm sure there will be a few things I might need to do too.

Clean
Check plugs
Check fluids
Check all bogey and axle wheel bearings
Grease all zerks
Check chaincase tension on chain
Check lights
Check brake operation BEFORE riding
Inspect brake pads and rotor
Inspect track, hyfax, drivers
Check shocks and springs
Check the entire sled for mice including airbox
Check suspension settings
Complete nut and bolt check
Check ski skags
Check all wiring connections (maybe add di-electric grease to keep water out?)
Check spare parts (plugs, belt, etc.)
Inspect clutches (maybe look at springs in them)
Carb sleds - check jetting, bowls, clean, etc.
Check throttle cable/oil pump cable
Check cut out switch or tether

Now, I know that I missed some stuff. Just getting off night shift, so....

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You pretty much sumed it up

Check Track Tension
Drain last years fuel. (if not done in spring)

ditch1000

Reaction score
Change the fuel filter at the start of every year.... No matter what!! Lots of burn downs happen because of plugged fuel filters on the Pro's.

Jeffpro800

Reaction score
Also a good idea to inspect oil injection lines for chafe damage or any loose lines/fittings, freshen up primary and secondary springs, inspect weight bushings for wear, inspect/ replace loose steering bushings or upgrade to oolite bushings, inspect/replace engine mounts, inspect reeds for any damage, inspect/clean exhaust valves. That's just a few I didn't see here yet, I'm sure there are more.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How am I doing? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382488693.460416.jpg

Also... A must for Polaris owners: get a compression test before the warranty is up!!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So far....... New hi fax installed, new skis rebuilt everything and installed,four piece vent kit installed to add to the other two, new spindles installed, skid greases and checked ,track adjusted,air box removed( picked up new screen today from specialty), need to remove clean and reinstall chain case then air box repaired replaced and a final checkout with new plugs and a compression test. Then the fun starts.....Polishing the tunnel! I'm a firm believer in maintenance, goes a long way when your riding a sled that has a bad rep.........

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of fuel filters, I thought that I read on here somewhere about a cheaper alternative than the Polaris filter, from NAPA or someone? Does anyone remember?

Jeffpro800

Reaction score
There are a few options when it comes to the fuel filter, you can carefully cut the old fittings off of your existing filter assembly and reuse them. A few things to make sure of is to use hi pressure Efi fuel tubing and clamps and to use a filter that has a fine enough micron count. I used an anodized russel filter assembly that has a cleanable screen in it, the screen is more coarse than the stock Polaris filter but it has caused no problems, I personally think the stock filter is too fine anyway. You are dealing with high pressure fuel so use caution and make sure your clamps fuel tubing and filter are Efi rated. The entire assembly was around 60 bucks.

Last edited:

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If u have a newer sled with warranty still is it neccessary to do all this stuff, I just change my chaincase oil, put fuel stabilizer in and grease suspension and makes sure everything is tight!

Jeffpro800

Reaction score
Never a bad idea to do maintenance. Warranty won't pay for a chopper to get your sled off the mountain.

Top Bottom