Power Engineering classes

joeboo73

Reaction score
Has anybody taken power eng. classes? Just looking for some insight

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know alot of people that took it. My roomate of 2 yrs took the Power Eng. Technology course at SAIT, he's got his second class and he's only 21. Definetely a good course

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never took it myself but I do have a few friends that have, and they said they did it at home so that would be cool!!....plus 90% of them stay quite busy as well!

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I'm a power engineer in Lloyd, what kind of info are you looking for?

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never took it myself but I do have a few friends that have, and they said they did it at home so that would be cool!!....plus 90% of them stay quite busy as well!

Any idea who they took the correspondance classes from (like NAIT, SAIT, etc)? I might be interested as well if it could be done at home.

indydude

Reaction score
I did my 4th at the local comunity college, as a nite class, and my 3rd was correspondance from sait. Just had to mail exams to them, and find a prof. (teacher, lawer, ect) to write my final in front of. Worked good for me, being that i am two provinces away.

joeboo73

Reaction score
What are you lookin for joeboo? I've taken quite a few over the years, but I'm not exactly sure what your asking.
Is it worth taking and how difficult is to do at night? Might take it through distance program but need time for play time too

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 year PE Tech from SAIT, Grad 91. You can get a job taking the 4th and 3rd seperate if you know someone in the industry, but most employers look at the 2 year Tech or Chem Tech as a minimum.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are intersted in plant work then yes the degree program may be better.
But if you are interested in operating in the field, as long as you have the ticket you'll get calls. I speak from experience, former plantsite worker now operating in field. I also took a degree program and hated it, got my ticket more or less on my own.
Most degree program guys couldn't operate their way out of a mop closet...(hahahah that'll get em talking) just kidding guys. It all depends on how you learn best, in a classroom or on your own, and if you can afford to take time off work to go to school???

Good Luck it is a good field to get into...might be kinda slow for the nex little while though, my company is in the middle of alot of layoffs right now

mawson21

Reaction score
Joeboo;

I've completed my Fourth through night classes, my Third at college and my Second through Distance Education through NAIT. If your looking at doing it on your own time, I would recommend NAIT. Everything is done online through multiple choice tests, there're a couple of tests which have be supervised at a local college affiliate of NAITS or at the main campus. I think you have two years to complete the course and extensions can be purchased.

SAITS distance course is not to bad, everything is completed through long answer and then mailed to them to be marked.

If your considering getting into the field, you'll need to start looking for a plant that will take you on as a student for firing time. You'll need to put in around nine hundred hours working around boilers and signed competent by the steam chief before ABSA will let you complete the government test. Depending on the plant they may pay you, they may not.

Good luck
Mawson21

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it worth taking and how difficult is to do at night? Might take it through distance program but need time for play time too

A fourth class is usually the minimum requirement to get into any gas plant (that's where I work) and many companies looking for field operators are starting to require it. Refineries, hospitals & pulp mills are a few other places a steam ticket is required. It's a great way to make a living, I make decent coin with a lot of time off. The downfall to plant work is shift work, nights suck.

If you can't do the full time course then I would recommend the SAIT correspondence course. It's a very good course and you can do it at your own pace. I don't know if the course is available through the distance program.

I think that the power engineering field is a great choice joeboo. Good coin and lots of time off to ride. You have good options to get your 4th class as well; correspondence at your own pace or full time student if you can afford to do this. A good idea may be to go to SAIT's website and check out there programs at SAIT.ca - Welcome to SAIT. Hope this helps joeboo and good luck.

Cheers;
Shane

PS Like Mawson said above, I think NAIT would be a very good choice for you as well.

joeboo73

Reaction score
How hard are the final exams? Pretty tough or not to bad?

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This depends on how well you know your stuff. If you've done the whole course and understand it, you shouldn't have any trouble with the final exam. What are you doing for work right now?

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nothing comes easy... Your gonna need to put your time in and struggle, believe me, I'm just about done my 4yrs of engineering. Just remember it's all worth it in the end :d:beer:

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did my 4th at the local college and we used the SAIT course. The text books were very good with enough info to get you though the tests. If you worked around a power plant would definatly make it easier. Our classroom had an operational steam plant in it. Seeing something in a book then get to play with it makes things easier to grasp. After I got the firing time I studied and chalanged my 3rd and passed without to much problem. I work in a local hospital power plant and it is decent money and tons of time off.

Top Bottom