Post Up Your Dirt-Sled-Water or Pavement Race Pics!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys post up your pics of your racing days whether on dirt, snow, water or pavement careers from years gone by or now! Always love seeing any kind of racing machines!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here’s my Sprint sled I raced in the old NWSA, SSRA and USSA!
CFCA14AD-2B45-4D15-A7DE-1FEB0AFA033A.jpeg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here’s another. This was my SkiDoo Pro Stock 50 build from 84’. This is a pic from the NWSA snocross open class. Not the air back then that the kids get now.

Attachments

• A04FB52E-63CC-4B6A-ABB7-04E61471DC5E.jpeg
    A04FB52E-63CC-4B6A-ABB7-04E61471DC5E.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 114

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mainly my dime...although I won a bit of cash and goodies in the RZ Cup. Only raced locally, but did get to race with the top dogs when the national championships came to Calgary. They threw us local 400 Production Pro riders in with the National 600 Production Pros a few times, so I was on track with Duhamel, Crevier, Picotte, Mercier. I was terrified I was going to be lapped by those mad dogs...you know...last corner of the last lap, like I had seen them do to others on many occasions. I was so terrified, I rode the best race of my life and only ended up around a third of a lap behind the winner...I felt like I had won the race...the race going on in my head. lol

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know how that feels. You don't want to be embarrassed. You are representing your association back home when I went to Worlds the first time. I was losing hair in the motel shower the morning of heat races. Racing against your idols. My buddy that crewed for me told me to quit worrying as they zip up the same as me after having a pizz. As soon as the green flag dropped everyone was someone to race against. Couldn't tell one from the other. HaHa

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the funnest races were the endurance races, as they set up a hay-bale chicane in the middle of the front straight to negate the speed differences between the different displacement bikes. I could go through the chicane at full speed on my 350, but the bigger, faster bikes had to get on the brakes hard. It was a blast racing against the Open Class bikes...I was like a pesky mosquito that they could not get away from. makes me smile just thinking about it.

What was it like racing the sleds...looks like they had/have awesome grip/traction?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the funnest races were the endurance races, as they set up a hay-bale chicane in the middle of the front straight to negate the speed differences between the different displacement bikes. I could go through the chicane at full speed on my 350, but the bigger, faster bikes had to get on the brakes hard. It was a blast racing against the Open Class bikes...I was like a pesky mosquito that they could not get away from. makes me smile just thinking about it.

What was it like racing the sleds...looks like they had/have awesome grip/traction?
We have positive traction with over a hundred ice picks and razor sharp carbides on the ski's. The cleaner the ice the faster you could go. We'd pull the skis off launch. The twin was so nice to drive. Had a Can Am motorcycle clutch that would disengage the inside track from driving when you turned the handlebars left for a corner. The outside track would drive and it would help you corner at 90-100mph depending on the track size. It took your breath away until you got used to it. Adrenaline is a good drug. Lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It amazes me the degree of lean you guys have through corners at speed. Amazing the tires will hold traction with so little surface on the track.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have positive traction with over a hundred ice picks and razor sharp carbides on the ski's. The cleaner the ice the faster you could go. We'd pull the skis off launch. The twin was so nice to drive. Had a Can Am motorcycle clutch that would disengage the inside track from driving when you turned the handlebars left for a corner. The outside track would drive and it would help you corner at 90-100mph depending on the track size. It took your breath away until you got used to it. Adrenaline is a good drug. Lol
Curious SnoPro - did you ever run across the Rotary V2's that were in development in the mid to late 90's? I ran across them in person a couple of times, but couldn't get anyone to spill much about them at the time. I know they still met 670 dimensions, but could never look at them long enough to understand how the Rotary valve was timed.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious SnoPro - did you ever run across the Rotary V2's that were in development in the mid to late 90's? I ran across them in person a couple of times, but couldn't get anyone to spill much about them at the time. I know they still met 670 dimensions, but could never look at them long enough to understand how the Rotary valve was timed.
No I didn't. I remember hearing something about them but was never privy to the engine. I didn't start getting an in at Doo till the early/mid 2000's with future product

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep it going guys. Maxwell? Trashy? Trollcat? Predator? Puba? Any car guys playing around at the track now or ever? Gotta think Got Boost has done some?

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last pic on the starting line a few of you guys may know some of the names as they are still in business in the industry. Ken and Donny Benson, Sylvan Lake, Ken Dohei from Edmonton, Everett Backus from Mara Lake and Len Bratco from Calgary. Dohei started at Mountain Magic and Backus started Backus Racing in Mara Lake the Polaris dealership out there.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to get Curtis and Ric to chime in. They have both grass drags and snow drags under there belt.
Great! I love all forms of racing! Great if Ken Reich would post some drag racing and ashphalt sled racing as well

Top Bottom