Possible to tell if my 2007 Summit has a 2008 shortblock?

Anarchos

Reaction score
On an impulse I bought a 07 Summit 800R with a "blown top end" because it was a killer deal. I was told it had a 2008 motor in it (although I'm sure everyone selling a 2007 says that..). Is there any way to tell whether that's actually the case? I'm a bit confused, but it seems from what I've read an 08 will fit into an 07 chassis, but not the other way around. Is it true that the 08 motors have a mounting plate with the correct holes for the 07 chassis as well? So in theory there'd be a bunch of mount points that aren't being used on an 08 block in a 07 chassis...or I could be completely wrong.

I'm pretty sure I can borrow a dial indicator from work and check the crank run out, if that reading seems okay, is there anything else I should check before just ordering a top end kit, besides obviously the cylinder walls/head?

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
On an impulse I bought a 07 Summit 800R with a "blown top end" because it was a killer deal. I was told it had a 2008 motor in it (although I'm sure everyone selling a 2007 says that..). Is there any way to tell whether that's actually the case? I'm a bit confused, but it seems from what I've read an 08 will fit into an 07 chassis, but not the other way around. Is it true that the 08 motors have a mounting plate with the correct holes for the 07 chassis as well? So in theory there'd be a bunch of mount points that aren't being used on an 08 block in a 07 chassis...or I could be completely wrong.

I'm pretty sure I can borrow a dial indicator from work and check the crank run out, if that reading seems okay, is there anything else I should check before just ordering a top end kit, besides obviously the cylinder walls/head?

Pull the PTO bearing retainer plate off and remove the seal. Check for isoflex grease. Might as well pull the recoil off and remove the flywheel and remove the stator and inject some isoflex in the hole at 12:00 and pump it in untill it comes out the hole at 6:00. And yes, check the runout.... this will help with the bottom end. Both engines are powertek 800R's so interchange should not be an issue.

Anarchos

Reaction score
Pull the PTO bearing retainer plate off and remove the seal. Check for isoflex grease. Might as well pull the recoil off and remove the flywheel and remove the stator and inject some isoflex in the hole at 12:00 and pump it in untill it comes out the hole at 6:00. And yes, check the runout.... this will help with the bottom end. Both engines are powertek 800R's so interchange should not be an issue.

Awesome, thanks. Is it possible to pull the PTO bearing plate and the stator and re-grease without pulling the engine? I've helped pull a primary clutch off before using the water method on a friends sled, but that's about the extend of my experience working on snowmobiles.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
yes, I've done lots of pto sides and just did my mag side with 5500 km's..... check out my blog on this site for the pto side and I'll try and post another for the mag side

Anarchos

Reaction score
check out my blog on this site for the pto side and I'll try and post another for the mag side

If I don't install a bearing buddy, can I just pry off the seal and pack some more isoflex in there and then use the same seal again?

I borrowed a dial indicator from work and measured it tonight and got less than .002" in movement, which I think is ok :confused:. I was only able to get one with a magnetic base and was having trouble finding something that wasn't aluminum to stick it to, so I might rig up something with some scrap iron and re-measure to make sure it wasn't moving at all, but so far so good.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If I don't install a bearing buddy, can I just pry off the seal and pack some more isoflex in there and then use the same seal again?

I borrowed a dial indicator from work and measured it tonight and got less than .002" in movement, which I think is ok :confused:. I was only able to get one with a magnetic base and was having trouble finding something that wasn't aluminum to stick it to, so I might rig up something with some scrap iron and re-measure to make sure it wasn't moving at all, but so far so good.

yes, my first time I carefully pried the seal out and re-used it. As long as its in good shape, its ok.

Top Bottom