Possible Polaris dealership in Golden

cschmidt17

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals! I'm throwing around the idea of opening a Polaris dealership in Golden B.C! Seeing as the closest dealer is either Calgary or Mara Lake there needs to be one in the middle. I'm trying to get an idea of interest if there is any at all! Please leave comments and suggestions!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think u will stay busy enough, look at last winter for example

I understand that polaris suck and u will have more work than say brp dealer , but it's been done before and never flew

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do your research, you will be busy in the winter, summer? if you find it will, work go for it! lots of naysayers everywhere, that is the difference between an employee and an employer. better to say why did I do that- than sit and always wonder what if.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Larry, don't want to see the guy loose everything

I've seen backus for example, this last winter they didn't do much, if they don't come, nothing to do

I've looked at buying a tirecraft in sicamous, good location ect

But last five years has lost money, bank won't give nothing to buy it..
Yes the owner and crew sucks and that's y for the most part.... But I'm sure some is from it being slow summer and winter

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also motor tech is a real good sled shop, hard to find and beat

Going to have a hard time getting clients from them..... But that's what it might take to keep going

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a dealership may be questionable but a full on sports shop where you carry everything that anybody could what on the hills or trails for all brands may fly. Sleds in the winter with snow bikes mixed in. Mountain bikes, chain saws, bikes, quads, and street bikes in the summer. I think if you stick to one brand your questionable and your market selling would have to be large based on your selling. Look at TnT in B-ville. Parkland in Red Deer to name a couple. Great sales ethics go a long way. I also think if you spend the time to learn what is needed for all brands your footprint can be smaller catering to more of the Golden area alone. Just my thoughts. I was in this spot once as well. Was going to set up a Yamaha, Polaris shop and was beaten to the punch by somebody else. In that time period that dealer ship sold off the Yamaha and Polaris side of things and kept the summer side Trailers and boats. The polaris dealer ships and yamaha dealerships are still in business under new management but I wouldn't say they are huge.

cschmidt17

Reaction score
Thanks every body for the replies! I wouldn't be a full out dealership, Polaris would provide sleds, quads, sxs and whatever else apparel that was needed to make the requirement for Polaris. I would also cater to multiple different gear selections like Klim, Strikt etc along with parts and accessories for every name brand out there!
the plan would be to also rent out sleds at an affordable price so everybody can get the big mountain experience! For summer months I would carry a full line of mountain bikes for rent and for sale as well as a clothing side for general shoppers coming through. My goal is to put out the best service at good prices.
Again thanks for the replies and keep them coming!
Thanks!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Larry, don't want to see the guy loose everything

I've seen backus for example, this last winter they didn't do much, if they don't come, nothing to do

I've looked at buying a tirecraft in sicamous, good location ect

But last five years has lost money, bank won't give nothing to buy it..
Yes the owner and crew sucks and that's y for the most part.... But I'm sure some is from it being slow summer and winter

yup, that is why you have to do your research. see what other are doing (good/bad), can you do better? it involves a business plan, financing, customer base etc etc. to just get a phone and open a door is a recipe for disaster. success requires research, dedication, vision an usually up to your eyeball debit.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks every body for the replies! I wouldn't be a full out dealership, Polaris would provide sleds, quads, sxs and whatever else apparel that was needed to make the requirement for Polaris. I would also cater to multiple different gear selections like Klim, Strikt etc along with parts and accessories for every name brand out there!
the plan would be to also rent out sleds at an affordable price so everybody can get the big mountain experience! For summer months I would carry a full line of mountain bikes for rent and for sale as well as a clothing side for general shoppers coming through. My goal is to put out the best service at good prices.
Again thanks for the replies and keep them coming!
Thanks!

There is 2 dealerships in Golden already. Can it support a third? Only one way to find out I suppose.
I bet the other 2 dealers might not be too stoked, but hey competition is all part of doing business.

Good luck on your venture.

Cheers:beer:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck but take it from me. It takes a special person to have a dealership in a destination town. After talking to Randy and Dawn over the years be prepared for people knocking on your door 7 days a week, demands made and putting in lots of overtime. You will be in tough competing with the other 2 dealers who are both very well liked and respected but anything can be done with the right mindset. You have a great mountain sled lineup to showcase so you should get people in the door to give you a try.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a question how big is the summertoy market in golden?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep in mind there are already 3 established bike shops plus the ski hill rents out bikes of all sorts. They also host numerous bike event in town.

As for summer toys you don't see a lot around here. The only thing to do is blast forest service roads, no real hill climbs, tight trails, or mud pits. Most fsr don't goto the peaks like other destinations and logging has been really active in the common areas.

Sledding is great in golden but the riding is limited and if your willing to go out of the common 3 areas the risk becomes higher. That's probably the biggest reason tour and guiding services haven't really escalated here. Plus golden really hasn't been recognized as big snow country like revy, sicamous, or the west coast. Keep in mind Toby creek adventures spends a lot of time in the golden area.

just some thoughts.

I think if you kept it more of an outdoorsman type store you will be fine, but catering to motorized activities will really hinder you. golden seems to have been getting busier every year in the summer.

Last edited:

Eric4Prez

Reaction score
If this year is like the last just have a stand on the side of the road and sell scratchers and french fries, youll make a mint.

Top Bottom