Possible closure for Revy

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard it now in a couple of discussion's, Revelstoke's Frisby ridge might be permanently closed to snowmobiling.
Revelstoke snowmobiling club has done a fantastic job in putting up warning sign's and making sledder's aware of cariboo closed off areas but some are not getting the big picture.
I personally have never gone to Frisby and not seen sled track's in the closed off area.

So keep it up people, your righteous attitude is doing a great job on eroding the sport.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there for the first time on Friday. Was very impressed with the amount of signage. Even has the date on the sign so you really have no excuse! I will say this...I was very impressed with how little tracks were in the closure based on how many sleds move through that area. goes to show it really does take one bad group to ruin it for the rest

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of people can't read mike, from everywhere

But more so out of towners looking for fresh, no tracks snow, they have no consequences and don't care, years ago I heard a group down the first part at the corner there, I went down and reamed them out, that's exactly what there reason for being down there

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there for the first time on Friday. Was very impressed with the amount of signage. Even has the date on the sign so you really have no excuse! I will say this...I was very impressed with how little tracks were in the closure based on how many sleds move through that area. goes to show it really does take one bad group to ruin it for the rest
isnt this how it always goes, you can have several thousand riders on that moutain all winter playing by the rules and it only takes a couple riders in between snow cycles to track it out and make it look like someone is riding there all the time. But it's such a small percentage that break the rules and it reflects bad on all of us.
We all know it's not about the caribou they saving by not going there, but closed is closed!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isnt this how it always goes, you can have several thousand riders on that moutain all winter playing by the rules and it only takes a couple riders in between snow cycles to track it out and make it look like someone is riding there all the time. But it's such a small percentage that break the rules and it reflects bad on all of us.
We all know it's not about the caribou they saving by not going there, but closed is closed!
It's not a couple riders. Unfortunate for the ones that follow the rules but sledding has a disproportionate amount of azzhats that participate in the sport. I estimate the '1%ers' is more like 30-40%

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was riding Frisby ridge with a group of 6 march 24-27 and we rode past the temptation everyday, just dreaming of crushing the untouched! I'd hate to lose this area. Poor Glacier house.....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, what happens to those riding in a closed area?

Anything from a warning to a fine to a sled seizure depending on the circumstances and prior offences.

I was riding Frisby ridge with a group of 6 march 24-27 and we rode past the temptation everyday, just dreaming of crushing the untouched! I'd hate to lose this area. Poor Glacier house.....
From what I have heard I don't expect Frisby to be closed but that the current voluntary closure up there managed by the club could become a mandatory closure enforced by the government.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great....I wish it was a $10,000 fine and seize your sled. Bet that would stop the tracks in a hurry.

How about those helis that fly around with a dart gun to tranquilize animals? Could use those on delinquent sledders. Dart, lift and transport with the heli, let the sledder wake up with a $5k bill in his pocket some hours later.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I,ve been riding Frisby lots since the January 1st closure right to the cliffs. Never saw any track going into closer more then a turn around. If I did see any one I would call Fish Cop pronto. Who is the source? Sounds like a fairy tail bull sh!t story to me. Maybe a lost planker saw some sleds one day. The bull sh!t never ends!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I,ve been riding Frisby lots since the January 1st closure right to the cliffs. Never saw any track going into closer more then a turn around. If I did see any one I would call Fish Cop pronto. Who is the source? Sounds like a fairy tail bull sh!t story to me. Maybe a lost planker saw some sleds one day. The bull sh!t never ends!

Huh, ok for you to call fish cop but IF a skier did they are bad???
Always some one else's fault....

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It only takes one and on a sled leaving behind its print can look like a dozen that went there. Either way, this came from a fella that work's in BC environment ministry. I sledded all day with him in Revy and in conversation he said that Frisby is unfortunately on the radar to be shut down to sledders.
They patrol by chopper regularly and sledders are seen out of boundary. They have been working with the club and the club has done everything to meet the ministry but even then some are too tempted. We will see.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard the CO's have used net guns to get a couple sledders too. They fire them into the tracks if you try and run.

Wow! One would think that would open them up to some serious liability for a reckless endangerment charge.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone is obligated to call in violators. I was being facetious when I made the comment about the plankers, It clearly went right over your head. Sorry for poking a little fun at the plankers, couldn't help my self. I know they do the same to sledders. Just read the comments following any news article published on sledders.
Huh, ok for you to call fish cop but IF a skier did they are bad???
Always some one else's fault....

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone is obligated to call in violators. I was being facetious when I made the comment about the plankers, It clearly went right over your head. Sorry for poking a little fun at the plankers, couldn't help my self. I know they do the same to sledders. Just read the comments following any news article published on sledders.

Sounded more like a rant, hard to catch sarcasm sometimes.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now we know why less than half of them survive transplant stressed to the max drugging them with darts would be better imo
looks to me like easy prey for wolves when there out walking around on lakes like that also but i guess its still the snowmobilers fault for dwindling numbers

Yaaaa.....that's not how they do it. They use net guns. Could still be pretty effective on a sled though. :hmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q1FeMVo2x8

Top Bottom