Portable generators

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a decently priced portable generator for light power consumption ie; camping, small tools, etc. I see Canadian tire has a few on sale this week, has anyone bought any of these products and what was your opinion. Any other's out there worth looking at in the $200 - $400 dollar bracket?. :happyholidayswreath

steveo

Reaction score
I bought the yard works from crappy tire ( 1000 w ) and works great for camping to charge the camper paid $350.00 about a year ago. A little more noisier than say the honda or yamaha but for the price diff it is well worth it ( 65 decibals)

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check the classifieds catmando had a nice gen for sale...not sure if he still has it but...1850 coleman for 300 great deal

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The big issues I find with the less expensive generators is:

- realiability
- Noise factor

I find if you spend a few hundred more dollars you will gain these and will not have to hand out pairs of
images
to all the people around. I have a Honda EU3000 and Ive had it since they first came out about 7 years ago, It gets used alot. And Ive serviced it by the dealer on a regular basis and have had no issues with it whatsoever. I bought one of those coleman generators first. And there half decent units as well but would never compare to the Honda or Yami units. I remember people clapping when I turned my unit off that I had 9 years ago at BVJ in camrose. Both Honda and Yamaha make less expensive units as well there not as quiet but the reliability is there.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a Champion 4000/2800 w gen. about 3 years ago from Costco, for around $400. It has ran 3 newer 24' trailers, only one A/C unit at a time. I built a deck, and ran a stick nailer, and mitre saw at the same time. I think that Canadian Tire carries them now. It's not as quiet as a Honda, but nothing is. It has been the best 4 bills I have spent in a long time, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. With a 25' trailer extension cord. You can barely hear it purr. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree i also have the eu3000i great generator super quite and runs forever great on fuel as well...but 2000 compared to 300 he originally wanted to spend

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the new trailer came with a built in Onan 5.5 after using it a couple of times, I decided to keep the honda 2000. It will run for 12 hrs on 4l of fuel and is quiet as can be. The big Onan sucks back fuel like a litre/hr and is noisy (keeps bears away,but can not here if someone is walking around the site). If I were to do it again I would option out of the built in Generator and stuck a honda 3000 in instead. MY 2c

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is nothing like the Honda and Yami generators, the 3000W units will last forever for personal use and put out power for trailer air and appliances. I have the Honda EU3000i, super quite and 12-16hrs on a tank of gas. You get what you pay for Switch, shop around if you're not in a hurry and the boxing day deals are just around the corner!

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it boils down to you get for what you pay, the sweetness of the deal soon sours with quality. Thanks for everyone's input.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been reading about gens for years.It is very tempting to buy one of those "great deals" but there is a reason for their price. As that has been said above,the noise alone is a big turn off for the bargain brands.You might not mind that clanging from your bargain brand,but others do.But the biggest thing I found is the fuel efficiency of my Honda 2000. It has an eco throttle that only runs the RPM's needed for load so its not only conserving fuel its being quiet as well. You get what you pay for,if you only go camping once a year than get the cheapy.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of the cheaper ones as well and will never buy another now that I've owned a Honda eu3000i. There is a big difference in quality and the noise difference is huge.

roland

Reaction score
Check out the Kipor model at All Seasons in Sherwood Park. They are identical to the Honda 3000 Inverter except $600 cheaper. I have had one for 3 years and not a problem with it. We have 2 more Kipors and 2 Hondas and they all run the same.

Mr. Machine

Reaction score
Website
www.machineinked.com
I have to throw down, :rant:You get what you pay for. I do work @ Riverside but I have had an EU 3000 for about 3 years now. All i do is oil it up and add gass. The thing is so quiet and freakin great on fuel.
You buck up once and it will last for a long time. :beer::beer::beer::beer:
HONDA

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Add another happy owner of the Honda eu3000!! So quiet....tuck it around the corner and it doesn't bother anyone. Yes...more $$$$....but...

If you need to stick to the budget, Costco does have a good return policy if anything goes wrong....

Top Bottom