Pop, Fart POP Fart Misfire BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Calling DOO Gods!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
true water would not block it like ice would. that may be your issue. hard to diagnose until you rule that out for us. take it for a rip

Ah a little bit closer to the problem... AWESOME guys Ill have to try her out.... My brother has the can off of it right now, hes gonna blast er clean so i can repaint her (surface rust, wanna stop befor it eats thru) So cant run till can is back on, but I will keep u all posted on whats up.... Again thanks S and M community..... Ill never say a bad thing about you again!!!!! :) LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it doesnt work out i have a 2013 summit with your name on it LOL

LOL!!!!! I gettin rid of it before u get it???? I honestly love the REV too much to quit on her yet... Besides, the wife likes the sport too, might have to check one myself!!! ;)

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets go back to the first issue - doesn't idle well, idles low, pops and burps when idling. Also wouldn't reach top rpm. This happend on the trail after riding for two days, and also once you were back home after sled sat.

What happend in the two days of riding that didn't cause any problems until you were riding it down the hill on the last day? You recently did a fresh top end, an oil delete and changed plug boots.

You changed the plugs on the trail? What did the old plugs look like? Lots of build up/deposits? How much oil are you adding to your fuel? What is your mixture ratio? Did you double it up for the first tank then lean it out afterwards? What type of oil?

Have you pulled the caps off your rave's? Push in the rave's with your finger. Do they appear sticky? When you are on the throttle is there lots of smoke from the exhaust? Is your premix gumming up the rave's?

These are just random ideas, but when someone changes something and then they have issues, I look to the changes they made first.

Voltage regulator as mentioned can be the culprit though. You have a shop manual, it describes how to check it in there.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets go back to the first issue - doesn't idle well, idles low, pops and burps when idling. Also wouldn't reach top rpm. This happend on the trail after riding for two days, and also once you were back home after sled sat. Only happened last day, cooling down, was halfway down trail (went pretty quick), water was able to freeze up with the windchill the speed created..... and it happened at home AFTER driving thru snow and sleet for 8 hours and then running it warm, then going for a quick rip (remember its about -8 to-10) and Idle did the same thing.... Intitial startup the sled runs perfect, its only when you go for a rip and stop again the idle turns low and erratic, including backfire....

What happend in the two days of riding that didn't cause any problems until you were riding it down the hill on the last day? Just before leaving to ride trail down, I got stuck... Rolled the sled to get out the easy way, snow buildup on headlight melted and ran down onto ECM and ECM vent.... You recently did a fresh top end, an oil delete and changed plug boots. Plug boots were done 2 rides ago, did them before we hit up Renshaw Dec 16..... Ran flawless then, minus Recoil....

You changed the plugs on the trail? What did the old plugs look like? Plugs looked really good... Nice Color... Lots of build up/deposits? Plugs before trip started looked clean and no sign of deposits... Plugs that I swapped out on trail looked Identical, will get pics of pluga on here soon... How much oil are you adding to your fuel? What is your mixture ratio? 50:1 Did you double it up for the first tank then lean it out afterwards? Yes What type of oil? Brp Semi Syn
Have you pulled the caps off your rave's? Not Yet... Push in the rave's with your finger. Do they appear sticky? When you are on the throttle is there lots of smoke from the exhaust? No, sled burns normal smoke.... Is your premix gumming up the rave's? Dont think so... will have to check when I Get My can Back on (as stated earlier, brother took can to blast and paint, cant run motor without)...

These are just random ideas, but when someone changes something and then they have issues, I look to the changes they made first. And its good practice to tackle the new changes before hitting up old things that might still be fine..... Im on the samew mindset but nothig I did recently IMO connects or is a direct cause of the issue....

Voltage regulator as mentioned can be the culprit though. You have a shop manual, it describes how to check it in there.Ill have to check the regulator, once the can is back on....

Thanks for your reply.....

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok here are pics of the plugs that I pulled OUT of the sled, on the trail when the issue started happening......... Also note that these plugs are brand new from the beginning of weekend, and only have about 80-90km on them...... 1/2 tank of doubled up 50:1 (break in for top end) and partial half tank....

001.jpg

002.jpg

BUT, I did notice this weird marking on my PTO side plug....

004.jpg Dont know if it had anything to do with the issue, cuz new BR9ECS's didnt change the problem.... The e3's are #E3.31... Was given number right by Ski-Doo Shop....

Now what yall think???

Thanks for replies... Once ECM is in and Can is on Ill fire up and try some more things...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok here are pics of the plugs that I pulled OUT of the sled, on the trail when the issue started happening......... Also note that these plugs are brand new from the beginning of weekend, and only have about 80-90km on them...... 1/2 tank of doubled up 50:1 (break in for top end) and partial half tank....

BUT, I did notice this weird marking on my PTO side plug....

Dont know if it had anything to do with the issue, cuz new BR9ECS's didnt change the problem.... The e3's are #E3.31... Was given number right by Ski-Doo Shop....

Now what yall think???

Thanks for replies... Once ECM is in and Can is on Ill fire up and try some more things...

I think you need to throw those E3's away and put in some good old NGK's.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The weird markings are carbon marks from your spark jumping out right there. Your new plugs boots might be no good. Buy some really good quality ones. I have plug caps from SLP and they are nice they have a lock so they won't fall off!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The weird markings are carbon marks from your spark jumping out right there. Your new plugs boots might be no good. Buy some really good quality ones. I have plug caps from SLP and they are nice they have a lock so they won't fall off!

Boots were NKG as well... Oh well ill change that out too.... And Br9 compared to what i can get E3's for , theres 3$ difference.... I was more into reliability/reputation of the E3's.... Thanks for your reply

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might of got water in your plug cap to. Put a good size gob of electrical grease in your plug caps then water never gets in. Some times cheap plugs are the best ones. In my girlfriends m7 if I put the iridium plugs in they fowl up right away, but just the cheap NGK they last for ever. Good luck on getting your sled running!

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might of got water in your plug cap to. Put a good size gob of electrical grease in your plug caps then water never gets in. Some times cheap plugs are the best ones. In my girlfriends m7 if I put the iridium plugs in they fowl up right away, but just the cheap NGK they last for ever. Good luck on getting your sled running!

X2 ^ My iridium plugs didnt last half the day the cheaper NGK's made it the season!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes, what he said ^^ Do they wipe off or is the porcelain actually cracked?
If they wipe off, buy a good sealing plug boot, you might have got some water in there when you rolled it and that resulted in spark arcs. If they are down that low it looks like you got some moisture in there.

E3's are junk as many have said. All that extra ground electrode does is shroud the flame kernel. I'll post a pic of how I cut my plugs tomorrow.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, what he said ^^ Do they wipe off or is the porcelain actually cracked?
If they wipe off, buy a good sealing plug boot, you might have got some water in there when you rolled it and that resulted in spark arcs. If they are down that low it looks like you got some moisture in there.

E3's are junk as many have said. All that extra ground electrode does is shroud the flame kernel. I'll post a pic of how I cut my plugs tomorrow.

The porcelin is actually cracked..... can feel the edge with finger....:realmad:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The porcelin is actually cracked..... can feel the edge with finger....:realmad:

Were your plugs wet when you took them out? Popping and backfiring through the exhaust is a sign that the motor is too rich, popping back through the carb is a sign it is too lean. Was it running on both cylinders (y-pipe from both sides is hot?) The fact it would only run to 7000 sounds like too much fuel. Could be a misfiring cylinder, you need to inspect all plugs and wires, make sure everything is dry and tight, use dielectric grease as mentioned above. If electrical checks out then it might be fuel related. Sounds like it might be water related in the electrical from you rolling it, which is why you should really try to dry everything out before diagnosing anything else. If something was broke, usually they don't run sporadically, they run poor all the time.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were your plugs wet when you took them out? Popping and backfiring through the exhaust is a sign that the motor is too rich, popping back through the carb is a sign it is too lean. Was it running on both cylinders (y-pipe from both sides is hot?) The fact it would only run to 7000 sounds like too much fuel. Could be a misfiring cylinder, you need to inspect all plugs and wires, make sure everything is dry and tight, use dielectric grease as mentioned above. If electrical checks out then it might be fuel related. Sounds like it might be water related in the electrical from you rolling it, which is why you should really try to dry everything out before diagnosing anything else. If something was broke, usually they don't run sporadically, they run poor all the time.
Hmmmm, when I pulled motor out I put dielectric grease in Every plug I could find, minus the plug boots.... I figured they were easier to get at with the motor out. I'm gonna go for a burn tonight ECM should be dry and new boots and plugs again!!! Will let u all know!!

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, when I pulled motor out I put dielectric grease in Every plug I could find, minus the plug boots.... I figured they were easier to get at with the motor out. I'm gonna go for a burn tonight ECM should be dry and new boots and plugs again!!! Will let u all know!![/QUOT Sounds like your going at it right. Looking at the simple stuff first and then going deeper. Good luck!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, when I pulled motor out I put dielectric grease in Every plug I could find, minus the plug boots.... I figured they were easier to get at with the motor out. I'm gonna go for a burn tonight ECM should be dry and new boots and plugs again!!! Will let u all know!![/QUOT Sounds like your going at it right. Looking at the simple stuff first and then going deeper. Good luck!

Thanks Boss!!!!!!!!!!!! Will have to come up this weekend and dig into her some more..... She'll be a Finely tuned Machine soon enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a Heads Up On the situation..... I pulled old plugs off, seems i forgot the step of "threading" on the wire to the boot..... Ooops... Its amazing, the wire was only and I MEAN only TOUCHING the tip of the stud inside the boot, and the sled actually performed very well for 3 trips!!!!! Other than the odd miss, but nothing noticeable until now!!!!!

I changed also from a 3 piece boot (NKG) to their Red Racing cable Series, really flexible and seem to take the cold better..... Sled fired right up after I put in some Dielectric Grease into the boots and in the connection on the ECM (Still have to relocate, but the snow might disappear soon around here) ....

So heres to the test I guess.... gonna sneak her out of town (sled is too wide for ranger step-side, and the specialty can is kiinda loud...:p Ill let u know when and if I get back).....

ALSO, when I pull the wires out of the coil, the original wires had what looked like a little anchor pushed into the end that then connects to the coil..... Is that anchort there just because the original wire is a woven style not the solid core????? Wouldn't the solid core do just as good of a job???? I mean I gots no radio on my sled so I don't need to worry about interference or anything right???

Top Bottom