Poor Grooming on Frisbie Ridge

Sledshredder

Reaction score
Wasn't gonna bite on this one but I think I will. What with all the sarcasm (capt ass). I think all that is being said here is the trails werent as good as they usually are. Now that Ang has let everybody know that there was groomer troubles it makes a bit more sense. We don't have the luxury of looking out our window and driving to boulder mountain in 5 minutes on a blue bird day. A weekend for me cost me a minimum 700. I am usually one of the first sleds up the mountain in the morning. And yes I still had supper and a few beers at Zalas every night we are there. Maybe we take a few to many things for granted but after an 8 hour drive each way and alot of money it's nice to ride a groomed trail.
WOW! The trails up Boulder were amazing yesterday!! Thank you!! Highway right to the alpine where we enjoyed sunshine, pockets of powder and very few other sledders! Bring on the 2012 Revelstoke powder dumps!!

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I wasn't going to comment on this post, as I was the one in my group telling everyone that the trails were what they were because of how many sleds were going up in the day, and the weather was playing a huge factor. To have some respect for the peeps that do what they do and without them we would have alot worse conditions then this. The revelstoke grooming society was working hard to make sure the trails were in great shape, I know this and so do you. So thanks. We rode the 27-1st. However not once was it groomed over to the Peaks? It was wooped out the entire time, we actually stopped riding revelstoke because of the trail conditions. We rode Sicamous for a couple days and the trails were in way way way better shape. On the 31st we decided to ride one last time at boulder. We were the first up on the mountain, I happened to check the grooming report before we left and it was stated that they had groomed all the way over to peaks and had also groomed Veidiman. We elected to ride from Peaks, as it said it was groomed - we soon found out that the trail had not been groomed again:-( wish we knew this as we had to stop several times as the Turbo Pro gets very very hot on the woopped out iced trail. I actually broke off both of my scratchers from the ice whoops and I wasn't the only one. We kept telling ourself that it would get better when we got to Bezanson, it would be groomed, well now I know why the trails were in such bad condidtion all week, the grooming job on Bezanson was absolultey horrific, and we were the first ones up that day. I know I know weather plays a huge factor but I was pretty dissapointed. Apperently it was done twice? I can't even imagine what it would have been like after the first 50 sleds. Anyhow we took Veidiman in hopes it would be better, well that was not groomed either (said it was) Then to top it all off, why was above the cabin not groomed? I understand one of the groomers broke down, and another one got lost on frisbee? Please don't get me wrong. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into making the trails, but one has to ask do we have the right people driving the groomers? I was just embarressed this year after telling my group how great revelstoke is and how much goes into ensuring the trails are in good shape. Thanks for all your hard work.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Truth is 100's of trucks in parking lot equals whooped out trails. Maybe i just have realistic expectations.

I was the first (or third) sled up the mtn for 3 days in a row last week. the bottom half was still a rough from the night before(suprizingly) until you hit fresh powder. On one hand I was sad that it cost me $20 to go up and feared the ride down... but I just assumed they were doing their best with what they had (Shat happens eh...)

3 days of perfect riding makes it all great!
Good luck with keeping things together.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
wow is it ever hard to keep everyone happy... its hard to keep a nice groomed trail speaicly with this winter we are having.. warm weather and rain will make it nearly impossible to maintain a nice trail, and with the high traffic on the holidays what do you expect? and my biggest pet peeve in the sledding industries is ppl complaining aout trail fees when the trail isnt smooth as the highway.. gotta rember most the ppl who do work on trails are volunteers using there own resources time and money to keep a nice trail.. do you guys ever think about all the work we volunteers do on a trail in the off season to keep it ridable in the winter? every bit ads up and no one should complain and bitch about paying a mesely 20$ for a trail pass even if its poorly groomed, think about it 15 years ago when noting was groomed and you were taking the 20 mile trek on a single goat path to the alpine, ow did u like that? wanna try that again? im sure if you ppl keep bitching the volunteers will just say fugg it and to hell with all the selfish riders out there that need to have the perfect trail.. to everyone who complains, give your head a shake

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com

Grooming report the Dec. 30 for Dec. 31

Boulder
Kirkup, Bezanson
-5 deg.c, 5” fresh, 7’ total, snowing, blowing, fog, very poor visibility.
Frisby to top
-6 deg.c, 3” fresh, snowing, blowing, fog, very poor visibility.
Groomer operators had great difficulty tonite.

.........and the reports for the W trail from Peaks.
Grooming is done the night before for following day.

Grooming report for Tues. Dec. 27, /11 10:30 pm
Boulder
Kirkup, Bezanson, Veideman, top, West trail, LaRoy Lane
-6 deg.c, 8” fresh, 7’ total, snowing, blowing.
Frisby to top
-4 deg.c, 8” fresh, snowing, blowing.

Grooming report for Wed. Dec. 28, /11 12:00 midnite
Boulder
Kirkup, Bezanson x2, Veideman, top, West trail
0 deg.c, 4” fresh, snowing, windy.
Frisby to top
Snowing, windy.

!! CHECK AVALANCHE FORECAST !!

Grooming report for Thur. Dec. 29, /11 midnite
Boulder
Kirkup, Veideman, top, Bezanson x2, West trail to top of hill
-4 deg.c, snowing.
Frisby to top
-4 deg.c, snowing.

Grooming report for Fri. Dec. 30, /11 10:00 pm
Boulder
Kirkup, Bezanson
-5 deg.c, 5” fresh, 7’ total, snowing, blowing, fog, very poor visibility.
Frisby to top
-6 deg.c, 3” fresh, snowing, blowing, fog, very poor visibility.
Groomer operators had great difficulty tonite.

Grooming report for SUN. Jan. 1, /12 10:30 pm
Boulder
Kirkup, Veideman, top, Bezanson x2
-9 deg.c, no new, 7.5’ total.
Frisby to top
-4 deg.c, no new.

Happy New Year !!

E-Z where did you check the grooming reports? Here is the most accurate place to check. The report does not say the W trail was groomed or that the Veideman was groomed on the evening of the 30th.
Grooming Report - Revelstoke Snowmobile Club

I wonder if you know Telus had that acces plowed until just before Christmas to complete putting in a new tower. When the SRS does groom that trail they can only groom to the hwy. (old lot, across form Can. W campground) and can not groom down the hwy. through the trees to the neighbouring property with the drag on (nowhere to turn around because of the fence the property owner has put up. They also can not groom the trail to access the Peaks, it is private property. I feel the Peaks should be explaing this to their customers.

The reason one of the groomers was broke down on was because on the trip down on Thur. Dec. 29 for the aft. groom the drag ripped the guts out of the groomer on the Bezanson trying to groom the horrific trail. The machine was down for the groom on the evening of the 30th.
Only the 2 trails were done that evening with 1 machine and because of weather conditions the groomer could not travel into the alpine to groom. That is the evening the groomer on Frisby got in trouble also. Actually on Stoke FM that morning they were thanking the groomer oprs. on the ski hill because it was such a challenging evening to be up in the mtns.

I sure hope if you ever come to ride in Revelstoke again we don`t have a pineapple express roll through, an overwhelming amount of riders show up and that there are no problems with the equipment.
Were you the guy who felt he had to download on me? I was working the booth at that access on the 31st. If it was you I was glad the other riders showed up and told you to stop.

One more thing to note is that the 2 wks. before Christmas the Gov. allowed the opr. of the pit at 2.5 km on the trail from the main lot to plow the road, sand and haul gravel. Until we got some snow we could not move the machines down the mtn. to start grooming from the far side of the bridge.

Last edited:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it`s amazing what happens when it doesn`t rain all night, the temps drop and the rider #`s are down. ONCE AGAIN 3 MACHINES GROOMED EACH NIGHT, EXCEPT 1 NIGHT ON BOULDER WHEN 1 MACHINE BROKE DOWN. TWO MACHINES WORKED ON BOULDER EACH NIGHT TO ENSURE ALL THE TRAILS WERE DONE EXCEPT THE NIGHT OF THE 30TH, SO ONLY 2 TRAILS WERE DONE THAT NIGHT. WE DID AFTERNOON GROOMS DEC. 28,29 AND 31ST ON BOULDER, COULDN`T ON THE 30 CAUSE THE GUYS WERE ALL WORKING ON THE MACHINES TRYING TO GET THEM ALL UP AND RUNNING AGAIN. The machines run at night for your safety that`s why you don`t see them moving. When we do run the machine in the aft. on Boulder I ride pilot for it so you don`t eat a 14' steel blade. We all did the best we could with the conditions that were thrown at us.
Hey Kathy. it was warm and rain in almost the entire province and a ton of riders this year so the trails were complained about everywhere. water off a ducks back is what we have to do as club members. imagine if it had been 20 below, perfect trails due to cold weather, it might have been the clubs fault for that as well. keep smiling like you always do, later.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember people! Kathy and the other great folks that work the booths and parking lot control do not drive the groomers and are not responsible for the weather.

Steve O Nytro

Reaction score
Was there from the 27th to the 1st and had nothing but a good time rode boulder twice and 2 more days at sicamous couldnt care less wether the trail was rough or not when theres as many sleds on the hill as there was i didnt expect great trails. If 20$ is too much spend the 130 and join the club its well worth it. Forgot to mention there was no vacancy anywere in town that might have had something to do with the rough trails

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
E-Z where did you check the grooming reports? Here is the most accurate place to check. The report does not say the W trail was groomed or that the Veideman was groomed on the evening of the 30th.
Grooming Report - Revelstoke Snowmobile Club

I get my updates from the above link and when I checked it must not have been updated yet, and must have read the grooming report from the 29th. No worries, and please don't take my comments the wrong way. I thank you very much for all of your efforts. I was not the guy who unloaded on you, we actually just missed each other as we were already past the W booth when you pulled up. I'm not like that, and I appologise on behalf of whoever decided that he would unload on you. I had one of the best rides I have had in a long time on Boulder on the 31st, I don't come to Revelstoke to ride the trails, the snow uptop makes up for everything. If the trail is in good shape then that is just a bonus. I will be back countless more times. Thanks again and Happy New Year.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
How is it that you were the first one up on the 31st.
Kathy, myself and my daughter were up the trail before daylight.
Kathy went to the booth and myself and my daughter went to the cabin to clean the stairs. deck, washrooms of the nights snowfall and start the fire to warm the cabin for the morning people arriving.
Got wood chopped and cabin cleaned and sweeped up.
Funny, we never saw any tracks other than the pine martins.

Damn volunteers do nothing I guess!!!!!!!!

Funny how peeps can stretch a little story........Nobody bitched me out at the cabin when they showed up, go figure.....

Well I wasn't going to comment on this post, as I was the one in my group telling everyone that the trails were what they were because of how many sleds were going up in the day, and the weather was playing a huge factor. To have some respect for the peeps that do what they do and without them we would have alot worse conditions then this. The revelstoke grooming society was working hard to make sure the trails were in great shape, I know this and so do you. So thanks. We rode the 27-1st. However not once was it groomed over to the Peaks? It was wooped out the entire time, we actually stopped riding revelstoke because of the trail conditions. We rode Sicamous for a couple days and the trails were in way way way better shape. On the 31st we decided to ride one last time at boulder. We were the first up on the mountain, I happened to check the grooming report before we left and it was stated that they had groomed all the way over to peaks and had also groomed Veidiman. We elected to ride from Peaks, as it said it was groomed - we soon found out that the trail had not been groomed again:-( wish we knew this as we had to stop several times as the Turbo Pro gets very very hot on the woopped out iced trail. I actually broke off both of my scratchers from the ice whoops and I wasn't the only one. We kept telling ourself that it would get better when we got to Bezanson, it would be groomed, well now I know why the trails were in such bad condidtion all week, the grooming job on Bezanson was absolultey horrific, and we were the first ones up that day. I know I know weather plays a huge factor but I was pretty dissapointed. Apperently it was done twice? I can't even imagine what it would have been like after the first 50 sleds. Anyhow we took Veidiman in hopes it would be better, well that was not groomed either (said it was) Then to top it all off, why was above the cabin not groomed? I understand one of the groomers broke down, and another one got lost on frisbee? Please don't get me wrong. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into making the trails, but one has to ask do we have the right people driving the groomers? I was just embarressed this year after telling my group how great revelstoke is and how much goes into ensuring the trails are in good shape. Thanks for all your hard work.

Last edited:

jumpingjack

Reaction score
wow is it ever hard to keep everyone happy... its hard to keep a nice groomed trail speaicly with this winter we are having.. warm weather and rain will make it nearly impossible to maintain a nice trail, and with the high traffic on the holidays what do you expect? and my biggest pet peeve in the sledding industries is ppl complaining aout trail fees when the trail isnt smooth as the highway.. gotta rember most the ppl who do work on trails are volunteers using there own resources time and money to keep a nice trail.. do you guys ever think about all the work we volunteers do on a trail in the off season to keep it ridable in the winter? every bit ads up and no one should complain and bitch about paying a mesely 20$ for a trail pass even if its poorly groomed, think about it 15 years ago when noting was groomed and you were taking the 20 mile trek on a single goat path to the alpine, ow did u like that? wanna try that again? im sure if you ppl keep bitching the volunteers will just say fugg it and to hell with all the selfish riders out there that need to have the perfect trail.. to everyone who complains, give your head a shake

Wow are you off base. The operters that run the groomers at Revy are paid employees not volunteers. Yes there are lots of volunteers that put in countless hours but that is not what we are talking about. Try reading what people are saying. Did you not read the part where the person checked to see if the trail had been groomed but found out that it was not. If your the first person up the trail after it has been groomed you know it.

Again read what people are saying!

WE CAME DOWN ON A GROOMED TRAIL THAT WAS FROOZEN WITH NO TRACKS ON IT AND IT WAS WOOPED UP STILL BECAUSE THE GROOMER WAS NOT PULLING A DRAG BEHIND. THIS WAS NOT THE OPERATORS FAULT.

POSTING THAT A TRAIL HAS BEEN GROOMED WHEN IT HASEN'T PISSES PEOPLE OFF. ALL WE ARE ASKING FOR IS THE TRUTH, WHICH IS NOT WHINING IT IS RESPECT!

Sorry for the yelling but some just don't get it.

Also while I'm at it lets be clear on the facts. In Revy there is the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club that fight to keep our areas open and countless volunteer hours maintaining cabins, firewood, and so much more.
Thanks is not nere enough for all that the volunteers do.

Than we have the Revelstoke Snowmobile Society which looks after the grooming part. Which includes grooming equipment, staffing grooming operaters, and staffing people at the toll booths to collecting trail fees. These people are paid to do these things. The person managing this is a paid employee and is the person that should be addressing these concerns.

Part of you tail fees and memberships go to cover these expenses

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is it that you were the first one up on the 31st.Kathy, myself and my daughter were up the trail before daylight.Kathy went to the booth and myself and my daughter went to the cabin to clean the stairs. deck, washrooms of the nights snowfall and start the fire to warm the cabin for the morning people arriving.Got wood chopped and cabin cleaned and sweeped up.Funny, we never saw any tracks other than the pine martins. Damn volunteers do nothing I guess!!!!!!!!Funny how peeps can stretch a little story........Nobody bitched me out at the cabin when they showed up, go figure...
Check the book, signed in @ 7:30, talk to your daughter, we had a brief conversation about which trail you guys came up and the condition of it compared to ours. We signed in and left right away, I never saw you, you never saw any tracks. We came in from the west.

powder oggy

Reaction score
You people need to get over it. Never realized what a bunch of whinners snowmobilers are. There shouldn't be any doubt in anybodys mind that the grooming crew is doing the best job possible with the equipment,that sometimes fails, and the weather that they can't control.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if it was that rough, the snow up top must have been awesome. and on the way down, just visualize your favorite snocrosser on a groomed race course testing out the latest suspension to smooth out those bumps on the trail!! LOL couldn't resist, clubs, volunteers, paid volunteers, rain, snow and weather. Add in some sledders that drove a bazzion miles with credit cards itching to get swiped, Hey it's a sport for fun in the winter! you could be in the desert with a crazy carpet for fun with no food, water or shelter for miles. Got to go, getting ready to go to Revy regardless of the trail conditions!!!

jumpingjack

Reaction score
I'm sorry that this thread has cause many people to think that we are whining. All I wanted to do was provide some feed back on what I know and saw in the hopes that the situation on Frisbie would be looked into and evaluated. All great businesses constantly look for feed back from there customers to determine where there are short falls and opportunities for improvement. Base on this theory I was just providing the SRS with some feed back. Unfortunately this was shortsighted on my part as everything must be as good as it's going to get. That's unfortunate!

SRS

Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
The following is simply to address and perhaps clarify some of the concerns raised on this thread. There is no doubt that the trails were rougher than they usually are and I do apologize for it although it was certainly beyond my control, let alone my staff’s control. Snowmobilers often mistakenly comment that we aren’t doing our job because they have not seen the groomer in operation. If you do not see the grooming equipment on the trails, this is generally a good thing. Our groomers work at night when snowmobiling traffic is at it’s lowest to ensure that grooming efforts are the most effective and that there is proper time for the freshly groomed trails to set up. Trail grooming is very expensive so we make every effort to ensure that when grooming occurs, it will be effective and create trails that are as durable as possible. Snowmobile trail grooming times, frequencies and methods are influenced by many variables including:

• temperature
  • type and depth of snow
  • terrain
  • snowmobile traffic volume and use patterns,
  • wind
  • storms including poor visibility especially through open areas
  • avalanche conditions.
The safety of our operators is always our first concern. For this reason the Veideman trail was not groomed one night due to heavy fog, blowing snow and high avalanche hazard.

Please also understand that the actions and equipment used by snowmobilers – fast starts and stops, powering through curves, aggressive tracks and powerful engines have a tremendous impact on the conditions of the trails and essentially destroy a trail in a very short period of time. Each passing snowmobile, as the suspension extends and contracts causes the mounds to get higher and the dips to get deeper. The greater the speed the more the suspensions expand and contract, the deeper the moguls.

Our overall objective is to provide smooth trails that are suitable for all levels of rider experience. This means establishing a trail base at the beginning of the season, reestablishing trails after heavy snowfall and restoring trails that have become heavily moguled. Heavily moguled trails are the most difficult to recover. There are two critical factors in restoring trails.
  1. Allowing sufficient time for the snow to set up after grooming. This can take anywhere from 4 to 10 hours depending on conditions.
and

2. For bonding to occur, the snow temperature must be below freezing.

Unfortunately due to the recent rain and warm temperatures, the snow temperature did not drop enough to bond. No amount of grooming will produce quality trails in these conditions no matter what type of equipment or drag is used.

Specifically in regards to Frisby ~ bumps and holes in the ground should improved or removed where practical. Bumps located under the snow trail can reappear as moguls on heavily traveled trails almost immediately after grooming. As many of you know, we were informed that logging was going to take place on Frisby in mid November. This did not allow for sufficient time to remove all stumps and brush. We worked as quickly as possible with government and contractors to establish a route up Frisby that would bypass the logging and reduce potential conflict and safety concerns as much as possible. The trail is not perfect but there is still access. Next season the new trail will be improved and the old trail up the road will be open again.

Please understand that I am continually challenged to make grooming resources go further to keep up with the ever increasing demand for smooth trails. Your $20 trail pass fee now covers the costs of three groomers not two.

Yes, our snow cat operators are paid, but only at fraction of what heavy equipment operators typically earn. Some of the operators donate their time. Furthermore, due to the heavy wet snow, our well maintained equipment failed and the mogul master caused substantial damage to one of our cats. Operators worked all day and then groomed that night. Special thank you to them for their hard work and continued commitment to making this program as successful as possible.

Our booth staff are paid as well, however, I guarantee that they didn’t get paid enough for some of the grief they took for a situation beyond their control. Special thank you to them as well. They are great ambassadors with their smiling faces and positive attitudes.

Finally, yes, as the Executive Director for this organization, I am paid. I am on a salary and I don’t get paid overtime. Every hour that I work over and above 40 per week is donated. I worked 12 to 15 hours a day this last week to make this program go round. Believe me when I say that when things don’t go as smooth as I hope, it’s not from a lack effort or commitment.

Last but not least. Yes a new drag for the Frisby cat would awesome. I am actively pursuing funding for the purchase of additional grooming equipment. In November of 2009 we purchased our third cat at a total cost of $133,700. The City of Revelstoke Resort Municipality fund provided us with $75,000 towards the purchase of the groomer leaving a balance of $58,000. We secured a loan for a total of $80,000. This covered the remaining $58,000, radios, safety equipment, insurance and the additional equipment needed to be able to pull the mogul master. Currently there is a balance of $49,157.86 remaining on the loan. At this time we are not in a financial position to purchase additional grooming equipment. However, as soon as we are able to do so and or as soon as I can secure grant funding, we will purchase additional grooming equipment including a drag for Frisby.

While it may appear that the society receives a tremendous influx of revenue during the Christmas season, this revenue often barley carries us through the entire year. There are days where we do not collect enough revenue to cover that day’s expenses however the revenue through the Christmas season carries us through. Grooming equipment, parts, fuel and insurance are very expensive and as I said above, I am continually challenged to make grooming resources go further.

To those that visited us through the Christmas season. Thank you! We hoped you enjoyed your time here as much as possible and that you understand that if we could have provided smoother trails, we would have done so. Thank you for making wise terrain choices and staying safe in the backcountry. Thanks again to my staff…. You’re Guys and Girls are the best!

As always I am available. You can call me at 250-837-3325 or email me at sledrev@telus.net

Let’s hope for cooler temperatures and more snow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom