Poor Grooming on Frisbie Ridge

jumpingjack

Reaction score
On another thread poor trails were brought up and I think most understand that at this time of year when the traffic volume is high the trail will get rough. The issue I would like to bring up is the fact that the groomer on Frisbie is not doing a good enough job of smoothing out the bumps even when all the condition to make a good trail are present. I know this because our group came down Friday night after midnight and the trail had been groomed 4 hours earlier but was still full of bumps that the groomer only took the tops off. No sledding had come down since it was groomed. The trail was frozen and rock hard but still very bumpy. My understanding is that this situation is caused because the trail on Frisbie is being groomed with only the groomer and no drag. The groomer and operator are doing the best they can but without a drag behind I'm not sure it is possible to smooth out all the bumps. I have been up Boulder first thing in the morning on a smooth trail even after coming down the night before on a very bumpy trail. The difference is the drag that they use. Just my two cents but if your paying for a trail pass and your the first sleds up the trail shouldn't the trail be smooth.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Valid points raised here!
The weather has not been cold enough to establish a good trail base this year.
One good night of cold weather did freeze the trail, but until it continues to freeze each night there will still be some bumps present after grooming.
One must start by removing the tops and filling in the low areas and then redo each night till a base is fully established.
The drag does not put pressure in the low areas after knocking the tops off as it rides on the hard top cuts.
Once the bumps are spread out and gets set up, the drag will start working.
Try building an ice road in the muskeg?
It takes water trucks and tractors with drags (tires towed behind to fill in low bump areas) a long time to pound in frost, then add more snow, freeze in and redo over and over again to smooth the roads.
Same concept applies.
The trails are not supposed to be race tracks and a place to test your sleds ability to hit full throottle then check your engine braking all the way up.
Thanks for the post and lets hope the weather cooperates with some cooler temps.

Last edited:

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On another thread poor trails were brought up and I think most understand that at this time of year when the traffic volume is high the trail will get rough. The issue I would like to bring up is the fact that the groomer on Frisbie is not doing a good enough job of smoothing out the bumps even when all the condition to make a good trail are present. I know this because our group came down Friday night after midnight and the trail had been groomed 4 hours earlier but was still full of bumps that the groomer only took the tops off. No sledding had come down since it was groomed. The trail was frozen and rock hard but still very bumpy. My understanding is that this situation is caused because the trail on Frisbie is being groomed with only the groomer and no drag. The groomer and operator are doing the best they can but without a drag behind I'm not sure it is possible to smooth out all the bumps. I have been up Boulder first thing in the morning on a smooth trail even after coming down the night before on a very bumpy trail. The difference is the drag that they use. Just my two cents but if your paying for a trail pass and your the first sleds up the trail shouldn't the trail be smooth.
Not sure if your stating facts or whining:realmad:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
obviously a fact if a ton of others have brought this exact same issue up! no its not whinning but when you pay $20 a day plus your hotels and fuel to get there and you show up to a trail that is supposed to be groomed and it isnt it kinda makes you a bit choked and makes you wonder why we are all paying money to ride a trail that isnt groomed! i see your stauts says your from revy so for yourself it isnt a big deal but when you get groups of people coming from alberta and sask and manitoba i'm sure they would appreciate a groomed trail that they paid for! I myself was not impressed with the trails when I was there for 7 days of riding I never once saw the groomer move and the trail was viscious wich is very surprising cause usually revy has the best groomed trails in the industry so its kind of a shock to see the groomers just sitting there or not being properly operated on the busiest week for sledding in revy

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went up Frisby on Sat. and the trail was great. Maybe a few less beers at Zala's and you might get up earlier.:beer:;)

Reactions: krr

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has been rough last time but it was too warm to get a good solid base I think...

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Yeah it`s amazing what happens when it doesn`t rain all night, the temps drop and the rider #`s are down. ONCE AGAIN 3 MACHINES GROOMED EACH NIGHT, EXCEPT 1 NIGHT ON BOULDER WHEN 1 MACHINE BROKE DOWN. TWO MACHINES WORKED ON BOULDER EACH NIGHT TO ENSURE ALL THE TRAILS WERE DONE EXCEPT THE NIGHT OF THE 30TH, SO ONLY 2 TRAILS WERE DONE THAT NIGHT. WE DID AFTERNOON GROOMS DEC. 28,29 AND 31ST ON BOULDER, COULDN`T ON THE 30 CAUSE THE GUYS WERE ALL WORKING ON THE MACHINES TRYING TO GET THEM ALL UP AND RUNNING AGAIN. The machines run at night for your safety that`s why you don`t see them moving. When we do run the machine in the aft. on Boulder I ride pilot for it so you don`t eat a 14' steel blade. We all did the best we could with the conditions that were thrown at us.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Powder Puff: just want to say thank you to you and all of the people who work so hard to keep the masses happy. I'm very sorry that after all your hard work you have to hear whining and bitching over things that are largely out of your control. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be: contending with mother nature, maintenance, safety and consideration of others etc., etc., etc., to the best of your ability, only to hear complaints. It's a good thing you are as sweet, bubbly, and good natured as you are :).

Just know that although there is always a squeaky wheel needing to be heard, there are many who remain silent who appreciate all of the efforts made on a daily and ongoing basis.

For all the whiners: I extend a personal invitation for you to come and ride the 40km, ungroomed, whooped out trail into to the Torpy in PG.... It will help give you some perspective!! (The area is 100% worth the trip in.)

sledman65

Reaction score
I wouldnt say perfect groomer,just alot better snow than what we had a few days ago,colder temps.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went up Frisby on Sat. and the trail was great. Maybe a few less beers at Zala's and you might get up earlier.:beer:;)
Wasn't gonna bite on this one but I think I will. What with all the sarcasm (capt ass). I think all that is being said here is the trails werent as good as they usually are. Now that Ang has let everybody know that there was groomer troubles it makes a bit more sense. We don't have the luxury of looking out our window and driving to boulder mountain in 5 minutes on a blue bird day. A weekend for me cost me a minimum 700. I am usually one of the first sleds up the mountain in the morning. And yes I still had supper and a few beers at Zalas every night we are there. Maybe we take a few to many things for granted but after an 8 hour drive each way and alot of money it's nice to ride a groomed trail.

Last edited:

jumpingjack

Reaction score
I do appreciate all the hard work that everyone at Revy does to manage the trails and keep the areas open for us to enjoy. My point was not about grooming in general, it was about the grooming on Frisbie.

I understand that there is more traffic on Boulder and more grooming is done there with a drag. My statement was only about the trail on Frisbie Ridge. My issue is simply that the trail is managed different than Boulder. As stated in the first post, if your not using a drag behind the groomer you are not giving the operater a fighting chance to smooth out the bumps properly. Yes there will be days when the weather does not allow for good trail setup but at lease give the groomer/operater a chance. Thats all I'm saying here.

Sorry to thoughs that take offence to honest feedback.

This thread was not intended to point fingers or be about wining. It was only input about what was happening and some suggustions that might help others understand the situation.

jumpingjack

Reaction score

Must be nice to be a Capt. and have all the answers! To bad people like you can't handle the truth.

If you think the trail going up Frisbie was great Saturday morning you have a very low standard and I'd hate to be on your sinking ship. I know this because my group came down it after midnight and it was far from great but you are the Capt. so I guess we should just take your word, NOT!!

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truth about what pipes? That the trails in (pg) are terrible. I don't know never ridin up there. What are the trail fees and or club memberships? I'm surprised that she is calling some of the peeps posting a bunch of whiners. Tonight was the first I heard of the groomer problems they were having and I was just there for 6 days. Why so long to let people know that there were problems, probably would have saved all the (whining). As stated on my thread not knocking the club or the town. I've been a member for several years now and spend most of my winter in revelstoke. I was just a little concerned with how rough the trail up frisby was at 8 am last Wednesday morning and I was the third one to sign in (capt. Crunch)and I even had a few beers at Zalas the night before. Hey I was doing my part to help support the local economy. Over and out for me on this topic.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am very surprised sledmamma at some of your comments.

Oh... If you knew me, you would spend alot more time surprised!! Haha!!

I was simply referring to the very high expectations. There are alot of variables and alot of traffic to work with, added to the pressure of having slush to work with when temps are so high. 7 days a week these people bust ass while we all rest up for the sledding day ahead. I don't know if you have ever had the pleasure to meet any of the characters who maintain the trail, but I can assure you that you would feel differently about slighting their efforts if you knew what genuinely good and hardworking people they are.

We all pay money to be there and lots of it. So what- Thats sleddin'... Trails are trails and whoops are whoops- all are part of the experience. It's the backcountry, not a magic carpet ride :)

Top Bottom