Poll: Who would like to see a warming cabin at Silent

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I understand it there is a considerable amount of red tape involved in being allowed to build a cabin. The need for a cabin in the eyes of the forestry isn't for the enjoyment of backcountry users; they are justified by being classified as 'emergency shelters' for areas that have a lot of back country use but no nearby shelters. Silent will be at a disadvantage because of it's proximity to McMurdo for emergency use. I have heard rumors that a warm up shelter in Hope is in the works in the next couple of years.

I do agree that anything being built at Silent would be best served up near the lake. For one it puts if farther from McMurdo. And having people going up and down the tree trail/ waterfall all day would be a nightmare!!

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious.....why can't a trail be cleared from the groomer turnaround up to the Lake?:confused:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious.....why can't a trail be cleared from the groomer turnaround up to the Lake?:confused:

Big money to cut a 15 foot wide road. It would also allow trucks and quads to get up there. If this happens it would be the end of the pristine area.

mcridge

Reaction score
I agree with Pano Dude. It's one thing to be able to drive a sled up on 6 feet of snow. But if the quads got up there in the summer it would be done. I guess the only way would be to clear it just enough..... space the trees but leave all the brush. And wait until you had a good snowpack in December to cover everything over. But leave all the deadfall so you couldn't quad up there.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMHO some areas should be difficult to get to. When it's too easy things turn into a sh*t show.

Getting to the goods is part of the "fun"

As far as the cabin issue, how about building one of these?
pedly2004-1.jpg
[/IMG]

mcridge

Reaction score
Been there done that and still doing it. However that only works for very few of us. When we go out winter camping, it's not because we went to Silent Pass which has to many people and Mcmurdo cabin to stay at.. It's because we're in a new area which takes time to explore. For most people this doesn't work.

I look at the Revy snowmobile club. Lot's of people. Extensive riding areas for all skill levels. Extensive grooming. Great warm up cabins. Good volunteer turn out. It ends up being a great place to ride and economically speaking its great for the town. Sledders drop huge sums of money every weekend.

Golden is very much the same except in my opinion it has better and more challenging riding. Needs some more advertising. And requires a few more warming cabins to meet the needs of the sledders. It sure is nice to be able to take your family out and know that if your kids get cold there's a place to warm them up at. Sledders also drop large amounts of money into the Golden economy. So any actions to increase that would be good for the town. I'd like to see how comparable the dollars are vs. Revy. The grooming guys do a great job in both places and really make the whole expierience alot nice for everyone.

Why are people still driving past Golden to hit Revy. Some would say it's two totally different things. And in reality it comes down to person preference I believe. Both are wonderful areas.

But what do I care. I ride silent or gorman once a year. The rest of my time I spend exploring and winter camping. I mostly avoid the busy areas. Maybe I think its time I gave a little back to the sport and the area that I love. I could go and volunteer with the sled club which i'm going to have to do. And I could use some of the skills which I have to create something which will last and which all can enjoy.

Just my 2cents

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silent is going to be way colder then normal this year!! Better stay at home in front of the fire.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silent is going to be way colder then normal this year!! Better stay at home in front of the fire.

Well if I had a fire to stay warm with..Colder means better snow and LESS people. Sounds good for me and a few others that dont get scared off by the temps :d

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been there done that and still doing it. However that only works for very few of us. When we go out winter camping, it's not because we went to Silent Pass which has to many people and Mcmurdo cabin to stay at.. It's because we're in a new area which takes time to explore. For most people this doesn't work.

I look at the Revy snowmobile club. Lot's of people. Extensive riding areas for all skill levels. Extensive grooming. Great warm up cabins. Good volunteer turn out. It ends up being a great place to ride and economically speaking its great for the town. Sledders drop huge sums of money every weekend.

Golden is very much the same except in my opinion it has better and more challenging riding. Needs some more advertising. And requires a few more warming cabins to meet the needs of the sledders. It sure is nice to be able to take your family out and know that if your kids get cold there's a place to warm them up at. Sledders also drop large amounts of money into the Golden economy. So any actions to increase that would be good for the town. I'd like to see how comparable the dollars are vs. Revy. The grooming guys do a great job in both places and really make the whole expierience alot nice for everyone.

Why are people still driving past Golden to hit Revy. Some would say it's two totally different things. And in reality it comes down to person preference I believe. Both are wonderful areas.

But what do I care. I ride silent or gorman once a year. The rest of my time I spend exploring and winter camping. I mostly avoid the busy areas. Maybe I think its time I gave a little back to the sport and the area that I love. I could go and volunteer with the sled club which i'm going to have to do. And I could use some of the skills which I have to create something which will last and which all can enjoy.

Just my 2cents

I hear ya, and I think your intentions are good but not everyone who lives out in here wants all the riding areas to be like Boulder at Revelstoke. I am quite happy to ride 50km and freeze if it means riding all day and not have to fight for fresh tracks.

It should be the locals choice on what and where to develope. I think the best way to help is to join the club if you have not already done so and then sit on the board.

It's really easy to sit on the outside and toss out ideas but people(even locals) do not understand the amount of work that goes into doing something like this and not pissing off others.

mcridge

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that issues like this should be put first to the golden sled club and its members. If there is enough interest then it must pass the golden backcountry recreation commitee, which is there just for that purpose. Locals should definetly have there say but at the same time so should the clubs members. Just because we live in the mountains shouldn't mean that we're the only ones who should be able to say what happens in the backcountry which is for all to enjoy. It doesn't mean that some guy from Calgary should have any less of a valid opinion than the rest of us.
Good point on sitting on the snowmobile club board though and not just mouthing off on a forum. Might just try that on in the future.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup YOU ARE RIGHT!!! it isnt up to the people that ride there. Its up to the people that control it and make the rules,those that keep the areas open with all there hard work that we dont see that goes on behind closed doors. those who get the groomers ready and run them all winter and lets not forget the people that stand at the shacks and collect our money to ride there ofr the passes These people are the locals and the locals of golden rule on HOW, WHAT,WHERE and WHEN it happens
And you know what?
IM cool with that
:) :)
RP

mcridge

Reaction score
Maybe we should look at some of the advantages/disadvantages of backcountry snowmobile shelters. Feel free to add to this list.

Disadvantages:
-Takes away from the remote feel of an area.
-Increases users in an area.
-Increase in pollution levels of the environment....emissions.
-Bad for local wildlife.
-Someone has to maintain these cabins.
-Removal of sewage from outhouses.
-Removal of garbage from cabins.
-Cost.
-Larger volunteer basis needed.
-May give some people a false sense of security.

Advantages:
-A great place to warm up.
-Good for local economy by increased usage.
-More people may get exposed to the back country.
-Helps to protect an area for future users by having a cabin presence. If no cabin is there, then its easier for areas to be closed by other groups. Thats something we will face in the future.
-Has garbage cans. Instead of throwing out garbage on the ground....people might just throw it out at the cabin.
-Has outhouse. Alot better than seeing toilet paper hanging from the trees 6ft up in a tree the summer.
-Great place to meet people.
-Great for families.
-Keeps us away from Mcmurdo Cabin. The skiers will be happier.
-Safety. Its nice to know there's a cabin when you really need it. It helps in a rescue when you use a sign in, sign out system like Boulder Cabin.

There's some I missed I'm sure.

sledbeck

Reaction score
Hello all i'm new to this site and want to add my two sense as well. I live in saskatchewan growing up around the most beautiful lakes in the world. Enjoyed the camping, water skiing, hunting, quading, sledding ect. ect. all my life and it pisses me off to see all the outsiders coming here to use these lakes as if they were there's. making them busier dirties ect. but the fact is everyone deserves to enjoy these experiences as much as i have. so i understand as a local how we want to keep things from becoming an industry. everyone wants a place to go alone...to call there own. On the other side we all benefit from some development. as a kid i would not have had the experiences i have without some of the development. So as mcridge said earlier the pro's and con's should be weighed out. And within reason i feel these cabins are a good idea. There are a lot of locals who i'm sure would put the effort to make these possible. The club can (with more local and non local help) expand As there are a lot of successful clubs who make a lot of money and support there communities in other ways. Plus as i am also an avid back county explorer (having skied and sledded my way around quite a few alberta and bc area's) There are always area's in which normal folk are not going to access that we can still enjoy. I sincerely hope to not offend anyone in anyway, i just feel a little expansion isn't a bad thing while keeping some of the gems to yourselves just maybe not all of them. ty

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm impressed this topic is as long as it is!! Crazy.
It's come up in a lot of our local snowmobile club meetings and that area is deemed no cabins of any kind. There is an old cabin called McMurdo that is there for emergencies or you can even book it through the Invermere Forest Services to stay up there over night.
Unfortunately it is simply not an option for now as government will not allow it. I agree it would be cool to have one up there, but the numbers also show that Silent has the lowest rider numbers as far as our commercial zones go. I guess that also makes it lowest on the totem pole. It is a great zone though!!

71250ford

Reaction score
it would be awesome to see a warm up cabin for silent pass. went riding there at least 4 times last season and it quickly became one of my favourite riding areas. seeing a cabin put up there would very cool for groups to break for a bit and hang out.

CB1

Reaction score
McMurdo, thats the one I was trying to think of.. Was in there quite a few years back, is it still in the riding area or have they closed down boundaries getting to it? Where exactly is it again? Been a long time. Would love to book it and ride out of it for a few days.

Top Bottom