Polaris TEAM clutch seized?

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was getting my 2004 Polaris Edge Touring ready for he season this past weekend, and while greasing the jack shaft it occurred to me that I have never taken the belt off. I might be missing something but the sheeves will not spread with the tool. I can't see anything else that would need to be loosened. What gives? Can it seize? Could use some ideas guys.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lift the rear of the sled from the ground, get the sled started and slowly open the throttle to engage the clutches. See if it opens up this way as a starting point, may need to be removed and serviced.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sleds moves fine, tore up the yard and loaded it onto the trailer.
The tool just wont open the clutch. Its a different clutch than my other trail touring. That clutch opens easy with little or typical effort.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess im looking to see of theres a trick to opening the clutch of a TEAM clutch im not aware of

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need the tool or a bolt, there's a threaded hole in the front of the clutch, thread the tool in and it spreads the sheaves.
2016-Arctic-Cat-ZR-8000-RR-BOSS-Clutch-Sheave.jpg

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought....if the last direction of travel was reverse, it will not open since it will be caught in the reverse cut of the helix

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need the tool or a bolt, there's a threaded hole in the front of the clutch, thread the tool in and it spreads the sheaves.
View attachment 191981

That's the issue, the tool goes in but it won't go in enough to open the sheaves. I don't want to force it any further fearing a broken tool or stripping the threads. It feels like it's hitting and pushing against something that won't budge. There is absolutely no play or movement like a normal clutch.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought....if the last direction of travel was reverse, it will not open since it will be caught in the reverse cut of the helix

:yeahthat:What he said, fire it up and drive forward and try again. Had this happen once brain fart moment.

Last edited:

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ill give'er a whirl and see what happens

Top Bottom