polaris rxl 650 gass leak from gasket that I think is called the base..

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
Hello there I own a 93 polaris rxl 650..
I woke up this morning and came out to the shop with a quarter tank of gass on the ground !
I looked around and didn't see anything noticable why the gass ran out !
So I pulled it outside and let my brother try pulling it over while I saw at the far right side cyleender corner just under the exhuast a sharp line of fuel spraying from a gasket . I beiliev it would be at thetop of the crankcase ! Sorry I'm pretty new at this ! I beilieve I need to repkace that gasket for sure ! I was wondering if I had to start from the top end of the motor to get to this spot or do I have to pull the motor and accsess it from the bottom ?
I'm going to try and post some pics from my phone on here so I hope it willl work !
Do you think this is why the gass leaked all night ?
I do have my gas shut off now and it doesn't leak anymore!
Also when I tried to start it today it would start I'm geussing cause there's nit much compression in that one cylinder anymore ! I also pulled all my sparkplugs and they were bone dry looked good !
The day before it ran like a champ we had it running all day started awsome one pull !
Well I hope ill get some help! I wouldn't mind fixing it and taking it out on the lake again !
Thanks guys !

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its been converted to carbs

Most likely needle and seat in the carb stuck and filled the crankcase. You can replace the base gasket without pulling the motor out but if your are really new to it you may want to get some help with it. Oh and replace the needle and seats in the carbs. I have seen them fill the crankcase so full the engine can't turn over. Pictures would really help confirm things.

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
Thanks for the information !
Should I beable to just take down the one cylinder to replace the one base gasket ?
I shouldn't have to take the others apart unless they leak too right ?
How do I attatch a pic to this for you ?
I'm trying to use my phone to upload pics but it won't let me !
I have a pic right were its leaking you can see it looks like it blew the gasket out a but on the corner !
How do I get that gass outta the crankcase to start it ?
It ran awsome yesterday but came into the shop and lost a quarter tank of fuel overnight !

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
I think me and my brother are going to rip that one apart tonight !
Were pretty mechanically inclined so it shouldn't be too too hard for us lol..
The most part is putting it back together with the right torques !
Would you happend to know were I could find the torques for a 93 rxl 650 tripple ?

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
2013-02-18 22.17.22.jpg 2013-02-18 22.19.03.jpg 2013-02-18 22.19.37.jpg

There's a couple pics there

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes for sure you can replace just the one, there will be a very small plug at the bottom of the crankcase to drain it, don't over tighten it when you put it back in. Sadly I don't have the torque specs handy. If you are just looking to do a quick repair on the one cly I would even leave the head installed. Just pull off the coolant manifold obviously and pull the cly and head off as a unit. The only thing is that you have to strip off the same amount of things to get that cly off at that point and for the price of base gaskets I would change all three, thats just me. Those needle and seats are worth way more, the other thing that you could check is the fuel pump itself, if the diaphram is leaking it can also let fuel into the crankcase through the impulse line.

That plug will be straight down from your exhaust on the bottom front of the case and there will be one on each cly.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes for sure you can replace just the one, there will be a very small plug at the bottom of the crankcase to drain it, don't over tighten it when you put it back in. Sadly I don't have the torque specs handy. If you are just looking to do a quick repair on the one cly I would even leave the head installed. Just pull off the coolant manifold obviously and pull the cly and head off as a unit. The only thing is that you have to strip off the same amount of things to get that cly off at that point and for the price of base gaskets I would change all three, thats just me. Those needle and seats are worth way more, the other thing that you could check is the fuel pump itself, if the diaphram is leaking it can also let fuel into the crankcase through the impulse line.

That plug will be straight down from your exhaust on the bottom front of the case and there will be one on each cly.
That is some great info there and another reason I like this site.

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
Awsome thanks for all the help ! ill see what I can do !
Should I need to replace the neadle and seats ?
Or could I just give them a cleaning if they still look good ?

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a good look at them and you will see a line worn into the needle if its bad, pretty common from vibration over time. You will know when you get them out if they are just sticky or if they need replacing. Could even just be a bad float as well.

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
Well I never had a problem of it sticking it seemed to run awsome !
Lots of take off power ! Sometimes it seems like it bogs out in higher kilometers but I have been adjusting the choke abut and seems to run better !
that was yesterday when it was running !
But I don't really wanna try starting it anymore cause it just starts pissing fuel out of that gasket ! So I think I'm looseing compression there to in that one cylinder !
It was running so awsome I just bought it at the beginning of winter ! Then this happens !
Hope all ill need is that gasket then drain the crankcase and hopefully it will start for me !
Do you know what gasket that would be called ? Just a base gasket?
Are they all different for each cylinder or should they be the same ?

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that is the base gasket and on that model they should all be the same. Replacing the gasket and draining it will get you going, usually if the seat is leaking its not a problem when the engine is running because your using the fuel up, if you shut off your fuel every time you stop you will get away without replacing the needle and seats but I would have a look at them anyway or the first time you forget it will happen again. You will likely need new gaskets for the coolant manifolds as well they are hard to save but you can try.

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
Awsome thanks for your help !
Ill message you again if I need somethibg and let you know how the process goes !

Reactions: cs5

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
I just pulled thoese plugs on the crank case to drain all 3 I was wondering if you were to pull the plugs on anyother one that is good how much fuel would actually come out ? I had a pretty good stream come out of all 3 !

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Next to zero, I am sure one of your seats is buggered, there are no seals between cly so if one is leaking it can still fill all three. check out those carbs and that fuel pump.

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
Well I had it fired up here it was running good idleing there but noticed that obe overflow on one carb was pissing out gass when it was running !
Took like ten pulls but started up good when it did !
I pulled the needle out to cgeck it out on the one that the overflow was pissing out and didn't find nothing wrong looked good to me I couldn't find a line in the needle or anything fishy just pissing out when running !

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it's running out the overflow check that float as well sometimes they just don't float anymore and keep the needle opened all the time. the fuel pump you should be able to just pull off the impulse line that goes to the crankcase and no fuel should run out.

Top Bottom