polaris rxl 650 gass leak from gasket that I think is called the base..

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
I took that one carb apart and was playing around with the horseshoe type thing were the float pushes on to the small needle and it seemed like the needle might of been to far out it kinda made a click then stayed there and I also fulled the bottom part up with gas to see if they floated and one was kinda stuck but I made it float freely and seemed to be fine !
I put it all back together and fired it up again let it idle for a couple mins and it seemed fine not even shooting gass out the overflow anymore !
I also checked to see if that gasket leaked when it was running and there was no sign of leaking or anything while it was idleing !
Think it wiuld build up more pressure if I was riding it or could it just act the same ?
I was wondering if you think it would be alright if I rode it the rest of the season like that without doing that gasket ?
Think I can get away without doing it now and do it in the summer instead ?
Its not like I go to go out to the mountians I just rip around on the lake and in ditches lol..
I think it could of been floading itself with fuel overnight cause the float was stuck down ! Could that be the reason ?
I now just making sure I do shut the fuel off when I'm not riding it just to be on the safe side !

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No that leaking gasket can cause you a burn down, very small price for the gasket if i remember right. and easy to do. Take the time to do it and save yourself some grief later. Glad you figured out the fuel problem. With the proper tools you can change that gasket out in a couple of hours or an evening at most. Just make sure when you put the coolant in have the front of the sled lifted up so you don't get an airlock.

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
Ok I will deffently make sure to do that ! Thanks for the heads up !
Ill try some gaskets tommorow !
Thanks again !

Reactions: cs5

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In your one pic is that stinger cracked?You'll gain some more power if your exhaust is sealed up and not cracked.And with over fueling you might get a spark too,not good!They look like psi pipes,those were loud mothertruckers!LOL!

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
Haha it is loud lol and ill check that out for sure I don't think I have a crack on it !
They are psi pipes I heard there almost the best !
There off a sks but the guy I bought it from made them fit !
Its a sweet machine I like it !
Lots of torque and power!

jonnyboy697

Reaction score
I'm trying to put my head back on to my base cause I put a new gasket in and I'm haveing a bit of trouble fiting the head over the piston !
am I soppused to push the piston down or something ? Feels likw the rings at the top of the piston won't fit in the head ?
Am I doing somthing wrong ?

Attachments

• 2013-02-20 22.53.44.jpg
    2013-02-20 22.53.44.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom