Polaris IDIOTS (Tether Instructions)

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Installing a tether... a SIMPLE THING on a 14 Pro....

Following the instructions, it says to mount close to the ignition switch, ok I find a good spot, drill the hole.

Now onto the wiring... Firstly, NONE of the colors match except the black. So I connect it up like the diagram in the instructions, hoping its the correct wire. I dont like how the connectors they give you mate up, I dont want it to wiggle loose in the mountains, so I soldered the wires together.

Now, im on the last instruction and it says to run two more leads (wires) back to the 5 pin ignition box, but there is no more wires!!!!

I put it back together, machine doesn't start. Scratching my head, followed the instructions to a T, after all, this is just a tether and very simple. Go through everything, yep, missing the last step and cant complete it.

So I Google it and THERE IS ALREADY A GOD DAMN PIN from the factory in the middle bundle of wires which are covered.

NOT ONE SINGLE WORD about this in the directions, anywhere!!

How do you sell a machine with a connection for a tether and sell the tether with NOT A SINGLE MENTION OF THIS CONNECTION?? Is someone brain dead or what!!

Now I have a hole drilled in the console up by the switch, I have wires soldered together and a machine that is a paper weight. Ready to throw this thing out on the road and run it over a few times.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Polaris RETARDS (Tether Instructions)

Those sound nothing like the instructions I had for the Polaris tether I installed on my 12 (they are probably the same). It definitely didn't say to install the tether close to the ignition switch. That's a good way to get your tether wrapped around your bars.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My instructions definitely showed a pic of of the tether installed down below the bars, right in the middle above the fuel cap. It also clearly states that depending on model year, you will have to cut wires like you did. However, it does say from model years 2011-2014 there's a plug under the hood by the bars. Plug and play. Sucks to have a hole cut in the dash, but that's pretty minor. You will figure it out.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Why in the phuck don't these phucking machines come with a tether on them anyway?!? Charge me $100 more for the machine and include the damn thing!!!!
Because the guys that buy these things for ditch banging and flat land stuff may not want a tether on it. Very little chance of it rolling down a hill on to you. Also gives you the option to install your preferred style of tether.

EDIT: For throttles sticking, yes it should have it. Still think not having a tether pre installed gives riders the option to install their preferred type of tether. I know lots of guys prefer the horseshoe clip style over the rubber cap style, like the Polaris tether.

Last edited:

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

should be mandatory on all in my opinion. Just like seat belts in vehicles. Up to the owner/ operator to wear, but at least the option is there.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

should be mandatory on all in my opinion. Just like seat belts in vehicles. Up to the owner/ operator to wear, but at least the option is there.

Completely agree!! Ripping across flat fields has the chance of barbed wire fences too. I'd bail, and prefer my machine shut off as well. If you don't wanna use it, clip it back to itself like every personal water craft and boat out there.

Last edited:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score

Because the guys that buy these things for ditch banging and flat land stuff don't want a tether on it. Very little chance of it rolling down a hill on to you. Also gives you the option to install your preferred style of tether.

That's a pretty dumb statement. I ride probably 50/50 mountains to ditches, fields ect.

I have been bucked off more and hit more in the ditches than in the mountains. Not to mention should I get bucked off
Or should my throttle stick in the ditch I have far more chance of endangering someone else with the risk of my sled fawking off into the hwy or onto a RR than it taking off down a hill in the mnts.

If say mnts or ditched a tethers
A pretty good idea

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

dosen't sound like you have the right tether, there's always been two wires under the console. usually the switch is handle bar mount as well.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Step #1: "Also make sure the electrical connections will reach the ignition switch"

The tether wires are about 10inches long so you have to be fairly close to the switch.

The instruction are not for these new machines and no one has taken the time to updated them accordingly.

IF you follow them, you wont get this tether installed correctly.

Now I have a hole drilled in the console that should have been down by the hand warmer switch.

Just plain stupid that these instructions are sent out like this. Hopefully someone sees this before installing one and saves themselves a huge headache and wasted time.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's a pretty dumb statement. I ride probably 50/50 mountains to ditches, fields ect.

I have been bucked off more and hit more in the ditches than in the mountains. Not to mention should I get bucked off
Or should my throttle stick in the ditch I have far more chance of endangering someone else with the risk of my sled fawking off into the hwy or onto a RR than it taking off down a hill in the mnts.

If say mnts or ditched a tethers
A pretty good idea
Right after X-Treme mentioned PWCs, I thought about the throttle sticking, and realized it's a good idea. I wasn't thinking about throttles sticking at all, just being mechanically pushed while rolling over. Honestly was just thinking about protection for the rider, not others. I've been bucked off a sled on a trail doing about 80kph in Ontario. The ground had heaved and a culvert now created a bump. In flat light I didn't see it and all of a sudden I was in the ditch and the sled coasted to a stop a 100m away. It didn't have a tether, so I was thinking about that bucked off scenario.

Yes, I agree for throttles sticking issues it's a good idea.

Last edited:

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Tether should be factory installed IMO ... added them to all of our sleds ... just watch the vids of the guys sucked into a spinning track ...
On topic, I used a basic tether Seadog (I think) which can be used as a NO or NC switch and it wired into to to leads in the wiring harness - OEM version has the matching plug but a couple of push on terminals did the trick.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I had a 1980 Yamaha enticer. Came with a tether from the factory. There was a petition going around last season for cat and polaris to install one from factory

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You talked about two connections? I'm not sure about this.

The tether I bought has two wires and cost seventy bucks. The Tether is nothing more than a switch which is open when the tether is pulled. If you have it installed by the key just find the brown wire going to the key and put the tether inbetween. I'm guessing on the brown wire. might wanna check that.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There is no brown wire going to the key it's a black and blue wire now. These instructions make zero sense for the new machines.

Huge piss off.

Im pulling this off and putting new connectors on and connecting it to the factory mount in the middle bundle.

just a huge pain in the ass at this point following these stupid directions. Turned a 15-20min job into 4-6 hours of dicking around now.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You talked about two connections? I'm not sure about this.

The tether I bought has two wires and cost seventy bucks. The Tether is nothing more than a switch which is open when the tether is pulled. If you have it installed by the key just find the brown wire going to the key and put the tether inbetween. I'm guessing on the brown wire. might wanna check that.

FYI
Pulling the tether cap closes the switch. The sled runs with nothing on the factory supplied connector.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

FYI
Pulling the tether cap closes the switch. The sled runs with nothing on the factory supplied connector.

YA, I was thinking that after. It would have to be closed. Simply pulling the key plug off will allow you to start the sled. Which would leave the circuit open.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There is no brown wire going to the key it's a black and blue wire now. These instructions make zero sense for the new machines.

Huge piss off.

Im pulling this off and putting new connectors on and connecting it to the factory mount in the middle bundle.

just a huge pain in the ass at this point following these stupid directions. Turned a 15-20min job into 4-6 hours of dicking around now.

Try sleeping on it. It's not hard to do, and if you think it through you'll figure it out. The key wires aren't a big scary monster. One of those wires is the ignition on/off. Just got to figure which one.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Huge piss off.

would you like the service manual for the polaris sleds? send me a pm if you do

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score

If you have to relocate again dont worry.
Just go to NAPA or Bumper to Bumper and buy a grommet plug. They come in rubber or plastic for many size holes.
Will cover hole and looks clean and professional.
They are cheap.
Beleive me, your not the only one to drill a hole in the wrong spot. Done it a few times.

I just drilled holes in a new tub surround yesterday and had the panel turned around. Matte side out, not the finished side. OOPS, a costly mistake. New one ordered. Ha Ha!
Grommets will not fix this error though. LOL!

Top Bottom