Polaris front diff bushing

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 2012 Ranger 500. I noticed that there was a lot of play on the front pinion shaft. So it took it apart and found that there is a little brass bushing at the very end of the pinion shaft. I called the dealer and that bushing is not available as a separate part, you got to buy the hole diff case for the tune $420! Has any one else had issues with this bushing? Is there an after market place that sells that? And I think all Rangers have the same front diff.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 2012 Ranger 500. I noticed that there was a lot of play on the front pinion shaft. So it took it apart and found that there is a little brass bushing at the very end of the pinion shaft. I called the dealer and that bushing is not available as a separate part, you got to buy the hole diff case for the tune $420! Has any one else had issues with this bushing? Is there an after market place that sells that? And I think all Rangers have the same front diff.
have seen it plenty. take the case, what's left of the old bushing and the pinion and go to a machine shop. they can make a new bushing and press it in. do it often with units that run tracks.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have seen it plenty. take the case, what's left of the old bushing and the pinion and go to a machine shop. they can make a new bushing and press it in. do it often with units that run tracks.

I am going to take a brass valve guide out of a big diesel motor that my brother has at his work and make one. I got a lathe at work so I should be able get it. I think it's starving for oil on that bushing. I was thinking of drilling a small hole through the case at the end, to let the oil in to the bushing. Do you know what's behind there? The diff is still in the machine so it's hard to tell if that will work.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to take a brass valve guide out of a big diesel motor that my brother has at his work and make one. I got a lathe at work so I should be able get it. I think it's starving for oil on that bushing. I was thinking of drilling a small hole through the case at the end, to let the oil in to the bushing. Do you know what's behind there? The diff is still in the machine so it's hard to tell if that will work.
can't remember. I think it gets enough oil it is just the fact that it only holds about 10 ounces and it dirties up quick. I suggest to peeps to change it every service as well. when you are done machining it before you press it into the case soak it in some form of metal conditioner first. I use tripak. seems to help. can't hurt!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't remember. I think it gets enough oil it is just the fact that it only holds about 10 ounces and it dirties up quick. I suggest to peeps to change it every service as well. when you are done machining it before you press it into the case soak it in some form of metal conditioner first. I use tripak. seems to help. can't hurt!
I just been looking at the parts lay out and dont think the hole will work. The machine only has 590miles and the diff fluid been changed twice. Where did you get that tripak at?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just been looking at the parts lay out and dont think the hole will work. The machine only has 590miles and the diff fluid been changed twice. Where did you get that tripak at?
they have it in the rv division of where I work. it is so stupid that they have a bushing on the back of the pinion like that. the older machines had a caged needle bearing and they rarely failed. I will see if I can dig up a part # for it and post it. #3233479 needle bearing. discontinued from Polaris, go figure!

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
they have it in the rv division of where I work. it is so stupid that they have a bushing on the back of the pinion like that. the older machines had a caged needle bearing and they rarely failed. I will see if I can dig up a part # for it and post it. #3233479 needle bearing. discontinued from Polaris, go figure!

I wonder if a place like BC Bearing or other bearing supply place could match one up.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if a place like BC Bearing or other bearing supply place could match one up.

They probably could but would that bearing fit in the diff case now? I got an idea how to fix it. I am going to machine a new bushing then machine a new cap for the end of the diff. The new cap will allow for a bigger heavier bearing and be made of aluminum not plastic!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think something slippery like teflon would last longer? The plastic cap is super janky.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think something slippery like teflon would last longer? The plastic cap is super janky.

That plastic cap is kinda cheezy! I thought about a Teflon bushing. But I do this cap upgrade I don't think I would even need a bushing.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted. I don't even have 200km on mine yet but I'm sure it'll be an issue down the road.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I got the peace made! I think it looks really good! Should be way heavier duty! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370106871.680608.jpg
That's the old a new ones put together!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good, lets see some more pics. I don't see how it mounts. Does this replace the bushing or just a roller bearing with a ball bearing?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good, lets see some more pics. I don't see how it mounts. Does this replace the bushing or just a roller bearing with a ball bearing?

Oops I took that picture a little early, doesn't have the holes drilled in it yet! Lol. This replaces that skinny little roller bearing and cheap plastic cap with that bigger ball bearing ( the bearing is in that plastic cap if you look hard). There still is that brass bushing but that plastic cap and little bearing allows the shaft to flex to much and in turn where's the bushing out. I am on my way home to put it all together and will take more pictures! Thanx

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got it done and took more pictures! All in all I am happy how it went! For just over a $100 I fix and improved the front diff, and with parts from Polaris it would of been well over $500! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370116147.372460.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370116220.916179.jpg new bushing in!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370116271.964970.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370116284.220703.jpg
Done!

Top Bottom