Polaris fix kit

Hammer800

Reaction score
So I was in polaris today asking some questions in regards to fix kits and was told that Polaris has their own version of a fix kit. It comes with pistons, pin bearing,shim,both base gaskets, injector o-rings and head cover seal. $809.00 and packaged as Polaris OEM kit. No stock on the Polaris kit and has to be ordered in. They also carry a MtnTek fix kit for $750.00 which doesn't have the extra base gasket or injector o-rings . This is the first I heard that polaris has their own kit. He couldn't tell me if the pistons are Wiseco,SPI or someone else. Is this just MtnTek packaging for Polaris? Anyone else heard of Polaris having their own fix kit now?

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the mntek kit. Everything was in the kit, why do you have to change the injector o-rings? Mine came came with all the correct gaskets.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done 4 MTNTK kits this year. Kit comes with everything except extra base gasket and injector o-rings (no need to replace these). I replaced all the o-rings up top since I was already in there. This kit works very well.

mane3200

Reaction score
I got kit off of ebay for $445 delivered came with cat pistons and spacer, gasket but had to buy pin bearings. Sounds different and works good got about 100 km on it so far.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Upper rod bearings were all good in mine so I put them back in. MTNTK comes with Wiseco's.

Hammer800

Reaction score
I was looking at the RKTek kit and the MtnTek kit and am still considering my options. I was totally caught off guard when the Polaris parts rep said Polaris has their own OEM kit. Never heard that before today. Curios if a guy should go with an OEM kit because it must have been approved by Polaris in case a guy has issues.

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the RKTek kit and the MtnTek kit and am still considering my options. I was totally caught off guard when the Polaris parts rep said Polaris has their own OEM kit. Never heard that before today. Curios if a guy should go with an OEM kit because it must have been approved by Polaris in case a guy has issues.
You should get the part number for the "Polaris kit" to see if it is true. Seems weird that Polaris would make one. That would be admitting there is a problem.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know that too cause I've never heard that before. Last Polaris rep I talked too acted like they don't even know they have a problem. Funny how fix kits are still going into the new sleds.

Hammer800

Reaction score
Part number won't tell us much by itself. I will get it and call the dealer I bought my sled from to see if they have brought any in as well.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds weird. All I know is MTNTK has sold thousands (5-6 I believe) of their kit.

Hammer800

Reaction score
Ya. The guy said it uses a shim and taller pistons like the MtnTek kit. Sounds too similar not to be a knockoff ?

jerrydecoy

Reaction score
I been a Polaris guy for a long time but I definitely wouldn't be looking at a product they came up with to fix the iq problems! The mtn tek kit has been working in the dragons. The failure rate is WAY down with the kit installed. I've got almost 1500 miles on the fix kit and the pistons look good

Sent from my iPhone using

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I been a Polaris guy for a long time but I definitely wouldn't be looking at a product they came up with to fix the iq problems! The mtn tek kit has been working in the dragons. The failure rate is WAY down with the kit installed. I've got almost 1500 miles on the fix kit and the pistons look good

I agree... I am and have always been a Polaris fan, but mtn tek developed a kit that has obviously helped a lot of dragon 800 owners, I would recommend there product over one from poo... Now that being said, I could not imagine that Polaris would stick there neck out with a similar fix kit for this engine as they would obviously be admitting fault as mentioned earlier. Also from what I understand, the 2011 to 2014's still have a somewhat similar engine design with just thicker cylinder skirts.. I will definitely get to the bottom of this as I still have a couple Dragon 800's!!

jerrydecoy

Reaction score
Fix kit or no fix kit... IMO lean mid range was a huge part of the problem. I wouldn't trust these sleds with Polaris mapping. The fix kit definitely helps but I think a high percentage of guys are coupling that with a PC v or another box which seems to create a more reliable motor

Hammer800

Reaction score
Polaris part number from parts counter at local dealership is 2204168. The guy had the number sitting in front of him as he had someone else looking into the kit earlier. I tried looking that part number up on the parts website but had no luck.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done a fair bit of reading on dynotechs articles and they make a good point that crappy control of the exhaust valves contribute to the mid range problems. They mention that you're chasing a moving target because they don't necessarily operate in a predictable manner.

Although fix kit and pcv combos do seem to be making for a more reliable setup.

Kurtschaar12

Reaction score
Mountain tech all the way. I try to avoid using polaris parts as much as possible. Frustrating constantly waiting on our dumb ass reps to order the wrong parts 3 times..

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is no polaris fix kit. they offer no different pistons or shim or anything out of the ordinary. 2204168 is the update kit for the 08, 09 cfi 4's. sounds like some parts person has been brainwashed into trying to deplete their overstock. want that pig to rip and to live longer than 1/2 a season, put a 13.0:1 drop in kit from rk tek in it with a pcv. makes em come alive. my:twocents:

Hammer800

Reaction score
Thanks For the info Rhodsie. I figured there was something fishy. That's why I asked the question on this forum. I figured someone would be able to clarify. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom