Polaris Crew Vs Yamaha Rhino stretched

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets get this thread alive again. I was planning to make my own stretch on my Rhino as a project, but due to some health issues, will have to take the factory extended route if we want it for spring. Obviously the Polaris crew become the first in mind. How does everyone like theirs? Anyone with a chinese type Wolverine (supposed Rhino Knock off?) Wife sat in a crew today and was tippy toe to touch the pedal's and floor panels. How is the ride, seats dont seam as comfy as the yamaha. Any facts of actual trials of the extended units would be appreciated,also the good and the bad.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets get this thread alive again. I was planning to make my own stretch on my Rhino as a project, but due to some health issues, will have to take the factory extended route if we want it for spring. Obviously the Polaris crew become the first in mind. How does everyone like theirs? Anyone with a chinese type Wolverine (supposed Rhino Knock off?) Wife sat in a crew today and was tippy toe to touch the pedal's and floor panels. How is the ride, seats dont seam as comfy as the yamaha. Any facts of actual trials of the extended units would be appreciated,also the good and the bad.

Oh boy. Hey bud there is no good in Chinese made crap period

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh boy. Hey bud there is no good in Chinese made crap period

Hey, I really like spring rolls and ginger beef.
Totally agree with you, just curious, not planning on purchasing some thing that no one want down the road.
Think the crew is the choice as long as I dont have to find a longer legged wife, but then does she belong behind the wheel anyways? Ha Ha

Last edited:

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
purchased a polaris today, cant believe I Had another Yamaha leave the garage, this polaris crew better not leave me on the trail or I will never hear the end of it from the group! Sure my chances are better than a ginger beef mobile lol

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
purchased a polaris today, cant believe I Had another Yamaha leave the garage, this polaris crew better not leave me on the trail or I will never hear the end of it from the group! Sure my chances are better than a ginger beef mobile lol

I'm not a big PooPoo fan but I think your money is way more better invested now. ;)

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd have rocks I your head to buy a streched rhino welded up in a garage by some amateur stick welder.

SMGron

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is actually my first post so "Hi".

I am normally a huge Yamaha fan. I used to run the raptor until the wife and kids came into the picture. I picked up my 2007 Rhino in 2007 from Parkland Cycle and dumped a bunch more money into it since then. I added the winch, windshield, fender flares, Roof, Did some stereo work, Rear Roll Cage and rear seats, battery kit, CDI chip, Clutch Kit, and 28" rubber.

First time I took it out, I hated the lack of power and speed (used to the raptor) but loved how it handled the mud. I went with a group of guys and dug through everything that they got stuck in. The only problem I had was getting high centered. In any case I was pretty happy with the machine.

Why I said I am "normally" a Yamaha fan is their lack of desire to keep up with the pack. I went into Riverside last fall to talk to the salesman there about a new Rhino with a much larger displacement. He said that Yamaha is like 3 years away from anything new with the Rhino. Disappointed I walked over next door to the Can-Am Dealer to look at the commander. Tool the salesmen about 15 minutes to convince me to put a deposit on the X1000. All I can say is wow. In the end I kept the Rhino and passed on the x100 when it came in. Decided to buy a bike since the Rhino only has 700 hours on it and isn't even really broke in.

Anyway a word of warning. I picked up my machine from Parkland Cycle. All my service was done there and every part I bought from them and was installed by them. When I did the clutch kit, they left something inside the clutch. I didn't notice any problem until I went into the bush with a buddy of mine. We hit a few small mud holes and my machine just didn't perform like normal. A slipping belt ended the ride and we limped back to my buddies house where we opened the clutch cover. Both the clutches were beat to crap, the belt was worn in the center where nothing touches it, and what ever was in there jammed against the cover and put a huge crack along the bottom. To top it off the clamps were loose and the rubber elbows in the air intakes and exits weren’t even on.

Anyway, I loaded up the machine and took it to Parkland Cycle for them to look at since they did the work. Being that I was just out playing the day before, the machine wasn't perfectly clean so when the owner of parkland cycle looked, he attempted to say that the reason the clutch was damaged was from misuse of the machine and not taking care of it. I was a "young punk" who wrecks his equipment and blames them for the damages. He even attempted to claim that Rhinos are not made for the mud, they are a utility vehicle! After hours of arguing with him about the issue and me mentioning that I will talk to a lawyer if I have to, he admitted that he would look at the machine and let me know. I guess he doesn’t believe in repeat business. Of course he attempted to stick me with the entire bill which was a 2800 fix to replace everything. In the end the best I could do was I still had to cover like 1200 of the bill. He knew his shop was in the wrong but what could I do?

Anyway you would think that with that issue they would go over everything with a fine tooth comb? Nope. I haven’t touched the machine too much over the winter, just way to busy. Basically only used it for plowing the snow in the driveway. I took it out just the other day in the mud and in a foot of mud my machine was planted. I had it in 4 wheel lock low gear and the tires were barely moving. Got it out of the mud and took it back to the rig to look at. Opened the clutch cover and sure enough they packed the clutch with so much grease that it flew all over the clutch making the belt slip like crazy. Also once again the clamps were loose, again. And lastly the oil change I had them do while they fixed the clutch was apparently to hard, they overfilled the out so much so that when I pull the dipstick, the entire thing is covered.

As I got it figured, I have about 22G into this machine with everything I have done and the original purchase price. The way they tried to stick me with the bill and how he claimed that any young guy mistreats equipment basically solidified the fact that I will not so much as purchase a bolt from them again. Not to mention get any of my equipment worked on by them. Just a word of warning from personal experiences. Sorry for the book.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there is no excuse for the clamps not being put on but I have seen bolts come loose inside the clutch cover that had never been touched by a dealer or anyone else. A couple of the rhinos we use for work got seriously abused up in Fort Nelson on a two week job, the guys were running them in high range all the time in the muskeg and completely cooked the wet clutches. What also happened as a result was that the wet clutch cover had expanded and contracted so much from the heat that all the bolts on the cover had worked themselves loose and oil spewed out into the belt housing, stopping the machines in their tracks. When I went to change the wet clutch I saw that most of those bolts were only hand tight and one of them was about 1 turn from coming out altogether. The machines only had 40 hours on them too so it didn't take long. Not saying this is what happened to yours, but it is possible.

Top Bottom