Plugging in Diesel trucks

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
The cord can become brittle, Can arc and fall off. My brother burnt down a barn because of this. Had a tractor plugged in. Pay close attention to the condition of the cord. Esp close to the heater.

Use a GFI and no more worries about a fire

cutty72

Reaction score
Around 0 if we know we're gonna use it.
For the one on the cattle trailer, it's plugged in constantly during calving season.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the new GMC,Chev etc block heaters dont come on until -15 or some thing like that.

My 08 Buick Enclave, plugged it in and could not hear a thing, phoned the dealership they told me that all the newer trucks and cars are this way. Don't qoute me on the temps as I don't remember but it was around there somewhere.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cord can become brittle, Can arc and fall off. My brother burnt down a barn because of this. Had a tractor plugged in. Pay close attention to the condition of the cord. Esp close to the heater.

LOL, I know what causes them to burn up, it's just that Sleeper700 made it sound like using them for such extended periods will cause a fire. :d

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. It seems everyone has a different temp to plug in at depending on vehicle, age, motor and oils used. If there is any chance of it going colder than -10 mine will be plugged in. As this is my first diesel I was kinda curious about plugging them in. Even all my gas jobbies got plugged in when starting to get to the 10 below area. It sucks when they don't start and you are trying to go to work. (Extra day off is always good though). I use Rotella -T 15-40 oil, should a person go to the synthetic? It has 158k on it. Thanks everyone. :d

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. It seems everyone has a different temp to plug in at depending on vehicle, age, motor and oils used. If there is any chance of it going colder than -10 mine will be plugged in. As this is my first diesel I was kinda curious about plugging them in. Even all my gas jobbies got plugged in when starting to get to the 10 below area. It sucks when they don't start and you are trying to go to work. (Extra day off is always good though). I use Rotella -T 15-40 oil, should a person go to the synthetic? It has 158k on it. Thanks everyone. :d

I run amsoil in everything but that is only becaue I get it fairly cheap. If I was paying full price it would be different!

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run the amsoil full syn in my 06 duramax. will it start if not plugged in at -30, you bet. is it waaaaaaaaaay better for the truck to be plugged in, you bet!!!!!! i always plug it in if around -10 or more, just so muchg easier on it, even with the synthetic oil. just my $.03

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I park mine in the garage!! It's very happy ........... just sayin! :beer::d:beer:

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes cdi 3 l. I plug it in every night if it's below -5, I do not know if I need to but I warms up fast and runs better sooner, and that enough to keep it happy and me happy.
Also the heated seats kick but.

Top Bottom