Plugging in Diesel trucks

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering at what temp everybody plugs in there diesel trucks. One friend has a 05 Chev diesel uses synthetic oil and never plugs it in. Another one with a dodge ram mega cab 5.9l plugs his in at about -18. I have the same truck and plug it in at -10. Father in law has an older '92 chev 6.5 and it needs to be plugged in at basically 0. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks:d

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most newer diesels will start at -30 with no problem. That being said I plug mine in if it's going to be -10 or colder, it's just so much easier on them if you do that.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most newer diesels will start at -30 with no problem. That being said I plug mine in if it's going to be -10 or colder, it's just so much easier on them if you do that.

I'm with you there. That's what I do too.

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to have a 05 Ford 6.0L and it had a hard time starting at anything colder than -15 without being plugged in. I have left my 08 Duramax that I have now at -30 and it started no problem, it wasn't happy about it but it started. I usually plug in at -15 or colder.

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering at what temp everybody plugs in there diesel trucks. One friend has a 05 Chev diesel uses synthetic oil and never plugs it in. Another one with a dodge ram mega cab 5.9l plugs his in at about -18. I have the same truck and plug it in at -10. Father in law has an older '92 chev 6.5 and it needs to be plugged in at basically 0. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks:d

lol my old 6.5l had to be plugged in if it was like +5 and had to be started every couple days. was afraid to shut that thing off if i ever went anywhere for fear that it might not start again. around -10 is when we start plugging the 7.3l powerstroke in and if its plugged in at -50 it usually starts

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for me its anything around the 0 mark. just starts easier and its not as hard on the pumps and injectors. Another plus is it doesnt take as long for the cab to warm up. just depends if you like to hear your truck moan and groan as it struggles to move the oil...

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
for me its anything around the 0 mark. just starts easier and its not as hard on the pumps and injectors. Another plus is it doesnt take as long for the cab to warm up. just depends if you like to hear your truck moan and groan as it struggles to move the oil...

Same as You S.W.A.T...... Use the Alaskan pad pan heaters and when I know I am going to need the truck I plug the block heater in. -40 this winter,started with no effort at all.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most GM Vehicles 1999+ have a thermostat in the block heater, and they don't turn on internally unless it is -18C. That way, you can plug it in at night, and it won't turn on until it dips that low. This is an easy way to prevent some of the block heater fires that can happen. Just an FYI.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most vehicles with wnter oil will start fine i know a 2005 up dmax has a temp sensor built into the block heater cord it will not allow block heater to come on unless temp is below -15 or 20 somewhere in there it can be bypassd but a cel light will appear and will keep coming back without correct cord only when starteed cold good idea to prevent wasting power and encourage customer to use correct grade of oil too my 73 dont like it any colder than -20 then needs to be warmed up it does not like it but every truck is different and needs it own care i have see 7.3 ford start no issue at -30 the best stating cold diesel is a cummins though

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just use my espar heater get out in the morning 170 degree water temp nice and warm :d and warm heat to the heaters instanly

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My dads Cummins 07 5.9L starts no problem at -30

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most GM Vehicles 1999+ have a thermostat in the block heater, and they don't turn on internally unless it is -18C. That way, you can plug it in at night, and it won't turn on until it dips that low. This is an easy way to prevent some of the block heater fires that can happen. Just an FYI.

What causes block heater fires?

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i plug my 08 F350 6.4 when its anything under -10C
its way easier on the truck

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i plug my 6.4 in at -10 ish too and i also run 0-40 syn XD3 so i know i have instant oil pressure.
and if its cold out durring the day and im comming and going from the house lots i plug it in, it keeps the coolent warm and you get heat way faster, and its not my power bill lol

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Anything below -10 for sure :d It's best you treat your diesel with care because it will bite you in the ass later. Turning a crank bearing is not a good thing because of a hard cold start :( I run 15w40 Shell Rotela T in mine and only have 2085 hrs so it's alittle stiff yet.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember just because the truck starts doesnt me its good for it. Have you ever seen what oil looks like at -30. just try and imagine trying to feed it into a motor. hard on valves and everything.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember just because the truck starts doesnt me its good for it. Have you ever seen what oil looks like at -30. just try and imagine trying to feed it into a motor. hard on valves and everything.

Definetely not good for it, but just saying sometimes you don't have a choice. Synthetic is a must as well, the cloud/freeze points are much better than conventional.

Top Bottom