Please help! Im out of ideas ( rmk dragon 800)

johnnyboy84

Reaction score
I really dont know what to do anymore, i did brin my sled twice to the dealer without any results... The problems is i have the mid range bog and my sled cant go more than 7900 rpm. I currently run at 0-3000 ft so i had the 10-68 ramps and i tought by putting 10-66 i would of solve my issue but no luck. I cleaned my fuel filter, power valves ( nothin broken) , changed fuel and added octane booster, sealed the airbox. Well i did everything that was mentioned over the internet .. So now im thinking about a reflash even know it was done last year, maybe they did it wrong?
Any others idea?

Thanks guys

johnnyboy84

Reaction score
Ohh forgot to mentioned , i run a full slp single and im waiting for low altitude clutch kit ( slp spring and weights) for the primary. Other than that sled is stock

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check secondary clutch, springs and helix, rollers.
Check bushing on outside primary clutch cover. Check your throttle body rubber boots. Maybe sucking air or pushing crank case pressure out at full rpm.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you had your exhaust valves out did you look at the pistons? I would do a compression test,it sounds like your pistons are ready to crap out.What reflash do you have,the 2010 april flash was for the mid range bog.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year of dragon ?????????????? and what flash is in the power commander ???? and check the comp like tim said and then get back to us.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and how do you clean a fuel filter on a dragon??????? that would be a neat trick, but I dint think my customers would go for it.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No power commander just a re-flash.I think he needs a fix kit and a 08 re-flash then it will rip.

johnnyboy84

Reaction score
The sled is a 2010. The engine has been rebuilted last season. I did check the pistons while i cleaned the valves and they seemed fine to me.

For the fuel filter , well i removed it ,then used brake cleaner and blowed some air into it. :) i guess its better than nothing lol

bolt clutched have been cleaned and springs are fine. But i didnt check the bushing.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So your gonna need a new fuel filter to start with.Get a good compression tester and verify compression,contact your dealer and have them pull up your vin and see what re-flash you have.If motor comes up good then look into your clutching.How long has it run like this,since the rebuild??

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theirs a guy on here and BCR (actually he posted in the "fix Kit feedback thread" on here about other mods that he has done to his dragon) that built his own fuel filter for a dragon with parts from Napa, the part numbers are on their as well. Ended up being a lot cheaper, like around $30 bucks I think the total cost was plus $7 something to change the filter each time, better than the $100 and some Polaris one.
ebutuvar.jpg

Last edited:

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Had a slp pipe give me the same problem try your stock pipe.They sent me a new one and it was golden problem gone.MY sled was a 01 800 but might be worth a try?

johnnyboy84

Reaction score
So your gonna need a new fuel filter to start with.Get a good compression tester and verify compression,contact your dealer and have them pull up your vin and see what re-flash you have.If motor comes up good then look into your clutching.How long has it run like this,since the rebuild??

I do have the april re-flash . Compression at 120 both sides, ill wait until i get my clutch kit to see if it changes anything and then ill send it to the dealer to get a new fuel filter and maybe a tps sensor ajustment.
Thanks

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
I'm running 10-68s at 1780ft with the fix kit a full slp pipe and power commander and only getting 8200 so try lowering your weight to a 10-64 maybe that will big your revs up . Also when did you change your belt last I noticed no one asked you that yet you could be loosing a few rpm from a worn belt.

johnnyboy84

Reaction score
I removed the fuel filter and plugged it whit a strait hose to test it but same thing happened. This morning i put the slp clutch kit on it, same thing...
I even put 10-62 ramp and again ... Same! I also removed the airbox again and made sure i was plugged the right way.
Im starting to thing that the engine is going..

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you installed the SLP pipe, did you change your exhaust power valve springs? Another thing to try would be to disconnect the two small hoses coming off the power valves and plug or put caps on the nipples coming off the valves... I had to do this to one of my 09 Dragons.. Also If or when you take it to the dealer for fuel filter change/TPS check, have them check your throttle cable free play as well.
Hope this helps.... Good luck...

johnnyboy84

Reaction score
Ok ill try that!

An other question, will a 2.5 challenger extreme track is too much for the stock gearing? Maybe i should try 18-41 instead of 19-41

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throttle freeplay is 10-30thou measured on backside of flipper and throttle block,adjuster is about 6" down the cable.How good is your belt?Mark your primary clutch with a felt pen and see if it is shifting out(will wipe the mark off).Are the exhaust valves opening?Something is outta wack or a failure is coming.

Top Bottom