Please help! I know nothing about sleds!

Greasyspider

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. I just picked up a 2000ish skidoo touring e. It doesn't run but the price was free. So how can I go wrong?
I know dirtbikes and wheelers, but I don't know a thing about sleds.
This sled has been sitting for a couple of years. It has spark and compression. It will start and run for a few seconds and then die. It has fuel but there is a bubble that is at the top of the line that just sits there. So, it doesn't appear to be getting to the carbs. When I remove the line I cannot get fuels to siphon out. I can't find a shutoff anywhere, the line from the tank looks as though it goes under the motor? I am assuming the filter is under there. How do you get to it? What else could the problem be? Thank guys!

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or the vac line from the crank case to the pump is bad I think you can rebuild the pump just a diphram pump I think

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has it been outside since it got cold? I know that after doo went away from a shutoff valve that the pump has a spring and ball deal check valve in there....if any water accumulates it goes to the low point and freezes, which happens to be the check valve in the pump....freezes the ball in the closed position and won't allow fuel to pass. disregard if it's been in a warm shop for a week.

Greasyspider

Reaction score
Nothing on air box. Maybe thats impossible to get to thing under the motor? The main fuel line runs into it, then the two carb lines and a vent line run out.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
k i found a parts brake down might help locate fule pump not shure on modle
there around 75$ but you can go into any sled shop and just get a twin or tripple pump for 35$

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is the compression? Drain the old fuel and put in fresh stuff. I doubt its a prob with the fuel pump. There should be a filter inside the tank.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also, get yourself a service manual. You can get them on eBay cheap. It will be the best investment you'll ever make. There on CD and you can print out whatever you need and easily searchable.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing on air box. Maybe thats impossible to get to thing under the motor? The main fuel line runs into it, then the two carb lines and a vent line run out.

the "vent" line is not a vent line, its a crankcase vacuum line, this sends the vacuum pulse to the pump so that it will pump fuel. If there is fuel in the lines to the carbs then there is fuel in the carb float bowls. A little bubble in the line is fine, so long as there is some fuel flowing in the line.

Are you keeping the choke on? Once it starts, then you have to leave the choke on full or at least partially until it almost dies, then shut it off and it should run on it's own.

Is there a fuel shut off? Take the gas cap off and try and start it, if it runs then the tank vent line is plugged, should be a small line on the top of the tank under the cowling.

I would clean the carbs, this sounds like your problem. You have VM 30 Mikuni carbs. You can get the roundslide manual from the mikuni website. After that I would suspect the fuel pump.

There is a filter in the tank, look in with a flashllight you will see it, its the thing with the metal spring around it (unless it fell off). the hose should not be open.

Last edited:
Top Bottom