Please help! (Bikeman Perfofmance kit - Boyesen reeds, strange idle)

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I finally got the performance kit installed that I bought in July and I’m almost ready for the season. Went with 470 jets, Bikeman recommended 460’s or 470’s. Did part of the install myself then took it to a local dealer to finish it up. I didn't want to screw up the jetting and burn down a motor.

With the OEM reeds and rubber boots there was clearance between the bottom of my carbs and the engine compartment. Now with the aluminum Boyesen boots the bottom of my carbs are sitting very tight against the sled to the point it was difficult to get the carbs back in. I’m worried about motor torque flex when I go WFO or big bumps damaging the bottom of the carb or cracking the aluminum reed boots since it is so tight. I sure don’t want to get way back in some steep bowl and have an engine issue. This kit is common and just wondering if anyone else has had
this issue before and if so how they fixed it?

Also, I took it for a quick burn on the weekend to see how it was running. Seemed to get up and go fine but when I let off and stopped it idled
weird for the first bit until it idled normal. Any thoughts?

Greatly appreciate any advice.

IMG_1232.jpg

Last edited:

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cant figure out how to upload the video of it idling around 3600 then dropping slowly to 3000RPM.

Just fired it up in the garage and its around 2100 after running for about 5 min. RPM's still drop real slow after opening it up a little.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell might chime in here he put that kit on a sled not sure if he used those reeds. But I would think if your air box and stuff all fits in then you should be good. I had an RK head with those reeds and jetted at 470 also and I to had the weird idle. It seemed like it would stay up high for a bit, I would just flip my choke on for a split second and it would come down instantly. Now in saying that you would think its on the lean side if jetting but the plugs looked good and piston wash looked good to. I drove it for two years like that and it never had a problem.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes pilot jet now that u changed the main smaller.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, taking it back to the dealer on Saturday. I will let them know whet you all suggest. Appreciate it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may not need a bigger pilot jet, just crank the air screw in a 1/2 turn. its the angled screw on the intake side of the carb, usually opposite side of the idle screw. If that doesn't fix it then you will need a bigger pilot but I would turn the air screw in first and that will richen it up a bit (screw in means less air at idle).

For the clearance issue I would call Bikeman and confirm the fitment.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K, I have the same kit and I just want some clarification. Did you say your reeds have an aluminum boot that attaches to the carb? Mine came with the rage cage boyessen's that fit perfectly inside the stock rubber boots so theres no clearance issues with the carbs as they mount the same way from factory. I also added the power wings but don't think they did much

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a different style than I do. I saw yours on the Boyesen site. Maybe they sent me the wrong ones. I am going to try and call them again tomorrow. Here are the ones I have.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to me those carbs look the same as the factory position? even on a stock sled the carbs barely clear the chassis..but i cant really picture one at the moment...sooooo maybe not.

Yea the stock ones have about the same clearance,,, basically none. Wouldn't worry about that. Not an issue.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just called Bikeman about my idle issue and they recommended the following:

Main jet: 460 or 470 (I have 470)
Pilot jet: 20 pilots with 0.02 needle shims

Hopefully this info can save the next guy some time.

Last edited:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats stock for the pilot? Im running 470 and the 20 thou shims, think i'll drop to 460 this year

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't have that kit, but i do know that carb are extremely closet to the tunnel area. On mine it does rub with torque flex, not really a issue with rubber boots. Aluminum ones might be a different thing. if you are that concerned use the new skidoo torque brace they have, this is truly proper engine brace that counters forces between the engine and secondary. As a alternative i know Arctic Edge has one that mounts on the backside engine mount as a torque stopper, and as well is a proper brace.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't have that kit, but i do know that carb are extremely closet to the tunnel area. On mine it does rub with torque flex, not really a issue with rubber boots. Aluminum ones might be a different thing. if you are that concerned use the new skidoo torque brace they have, this is truly proper engine brace that counters forces between the engine and secondary. As a alternative i know Arctic Edge has one that mounts on the backside engine mount as a torque stopper, and as well is a proper brace.

Great idea, I don't know why i didn't think of that. I will certainly look into that as well. Thanks.

Top Bottom