play areas

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey everybody, just looking for new areas to ride. Quartz, oldman, silent pass are good but just want to see some different country. Anybody heard of area 51 or 52? Heard it's better than silent pass. Any help would be great. Thanks:d

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
area 51 & 52 are up to the right from the "saddle" in Quartz & no where near silent pass or Silver Mines or Chatter Creek or Hope creek;):d There's a few for ya to explore.............. find a buddy that knows the area a bit & giver'

RN

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks RN, isn't the silver mines and chatter very avalachey? The helisking is in hope correct? Know anybody who would like to show me around?

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've moved to Airdrie now so not around there as much now, but if i'm out there at the same time......... i'll give ya the tour! Silver Mines can definitely be risky at times but well worth going in there in the right conditions. Chatter is the Cat-skiing & heli-skiing operations, but they really welcome us as long as we stay out of the areas that they're skiing. You have to go at least once to see the lodge in there!!! Hope has some heli-skiing too, but has some pretty good riding(I don't like it much myself :( ) It's about 90km into Chatter from a little town called Donald(1/2 way from Golden to Quartz on the right side of the hiway.) Silver Mines are at km 17 on the way into SilentPass. It's about anoither 50km i think to the good play areas. There are maps all around town of the different areas around Golden.

RN

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey everybody, just looking for new areas to ride. Quartz, oldman, silent pass are good but just want to see some different country. Anybody heard of area 51 or 52? Heard it's better than silent pass. Any help would be great. Thanks:d

you could hit Gorman lake, you stage at the very base before ski hill on right, gets busy on weekends but its a easy drive mid-week, pretty easy to find your way,
we hope to be riding in golden in the next few weeks, let me know if ya wanna go for a rip,

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the invite Johi t. Have to get my sled back together first. Getting the roller clutch update, new track, smaller extroverts, and big wheel kit. Have a ways to go but I'll let you know when it's done.:beer:

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the map Powder Puff, but one question; is there any play areas that are not on the map that someone is willing to share? Not looking for someones secret spot, just some place that not alot of people go, but has high marking, boondocking, and open areas to just lay it over and carve?:tazz:

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
you could hit Gorman lake, you stage at the very base before ski hill on right, gets busy on weekends but its a easy drive mid-week, pretty easy to find your way,
we hope to be riding in golden in the next few weeks, let me know if ya wanna go for a rip,

Is that just wishfull thinking or will riding around Golden actually be possible in November? I was hoping to put a trip together to Golden for the first week in Dec but I wasn't sure if thats pushing it?

tohigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rode golden last year nov 11-15 and it was great sled come back in one peice

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that just wishfull thinking or will riding around Golden actually be possible in November? I was hoping to put a trip together to Golden for the first week in Dec but I wasn't sure if thats pushing it?

was out last nov 10, plan is for nov 7-8, depending on snow, but it comes quick in some spots, worst case would be mid month in Golden, the odd small creek crossing and riding the terrain where the snow blows and fills in the rocks, stumps, etc....
very easy to get stuck with 4-5 ft of bottomless POW, no base in november but some of my deepest days where nov and dec..

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 yrs ago I was breakinh traill into Cabin Valley at Quartz on Halloween day!!!:eek:
Last year wasn't much different if I remember correctly.............. most years that I've broke trail into Silent Pass were mid Nov. But you really have to ride carefully due to the bottomless pow. Lots of open creeks, stumps & rocks aren't covered just yet!!!:mad:

Safe riding

RN

Top Bottom