Places to take the littlest ones

crp

Reaction score
Hello Ladies, I almost turned inside out when I seen this section!!!! A place that I can talk to the rest of the girls yay!!!!! Ok chickies here's what I'm wondering, my family and I have always rode around home. Now that the boys are getting older (but still pretty little 9 and 6) and more adventurous they are ready for more, but our little girl is still really little and rides in the rzr with me......we need family friendly!!!! Can you fill me in on some good places.....if we can camp there that's even better.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome :)

Our kids ride with us basically everywhere we go with the Rhino- sometimes we choose different trails, we always hit things slower and when in doubt, the kids get out until we are thru, up, across, etc., Our girls are 6, 8, and 13 and have been muddin' since they were toddlers: when they'd fall asleep we would bungee cord their heads to the car seat so they didn't bob around with the helmets on :) sounds awful, but it works!!

Last edited:

crp

Reaction score
Lol, it doesn't sound awful, to me!!!! My littlest is only 1 so for the most part she has stayed behind with grandma.....I was worried about too much bumping for her head and neck. My 6 year old has only brought his machine on the trail once...lol the little 50 made it 60kms and only needed pushed out twice, it was a really nice trail for them, but he can come with me or go behind dad if it's too much and save the stress. It's my 9 year old that really wants to go and have his own machine. He does really well, but being it's a little 90 it's a 2WD, it wouldn't do very well in a lot of situations. The place that we took them was the Cougar Patch by Deverney/Two Hills, and of course the Iron horse is good for them too. I was just wondering if there was anything else that was the similar to that.....Thanks so much!!!! How old were your kids when you started taking them with you? What did you do helmet wise? We used a bike helmet when the boys started, as I was worried about the weight on their necks, but that was just around here. What is the rules?

crp

Reaction score
Wow I just checked it out, that looks like just what I was looking for, have you been there Bruce?

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I have not, but what I am reading is, that they know how to attract the AVT/UTV groups. Build a place that they would like to go to and they will come, give them what they want and control it, for every one to enjoy. Every thing in moderation,(MUD). They are all ready booked for the May Long Weekend, week day rides should be go to go. I think PAY TO RIDE has come to Alberta. Ski clubs have their areas, pay a membership to ride, Grooming, ect, is this not the same?

K B4 Y G. Bruce.

Reactions: crp

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is alsogreat trails for the young ones just south of pinehurst lake a great staging area with built in ramp outhouses and plenty of parking a few remote lakes with excellant fishing and boardwalked trails/bridges as a route over around the big skeg stretches. Lakeland county will send u a trail map there is also great trails for the more adventurous no shortage of trails either

crp

Reaction score
No I have not, but what I am reading is, that they know how to attract the AVT/UTV groups. Build a place that they would like to go to and they will come, give them what they want and control it, for every one to enjoy. Every thing in moderation,(MUD). They are all ready booked for the May Long Weekend, week day rides should be go to go. I think PAY TO RIDE has come to Alberta. Ski clubs have their areas, pay a membership to ride, Grooming, ect, is this not the same?

K B4 Y G. Bruce.

I think we will take the kids up there for sure, and I'll post on here how it went. I'm so new to all of this that I really don't have an opinion one way or another, but I don't mind helping out financially to ride on any trails if that will be what it will take to keep them. Thanks again Bruce and I'll be sure to let you know what I think, of course I guess that won't be until after May Long ;)

crp

Reaction score
there is alsogreat trails for the young ones just south of pinehurst lake a great staging area with built in ramp outhouses and plenty of parking a few remote lakes with excellant fishing and boardwalked trails/bridges as a route over around the big skeg stretches. Lakeland county will send u a trail map there is also great trails for the more adventurous no shortage of trails either

Perfect! I'll get that map and we'll see if we can get out there! Thanks a bunch!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I know you are asking about quadding but our kids have been sledding with us since they were six months old. Honestly I wouldn't go with the bike helmet because it doesn't provide any protection for their lower face/jaw. We were able to find a youth XS MX style helmet that we started our kids out in. We then were able to pick up the Zeal line of goggles that offered a polarized kids goggle that fit into the helmet. We had to put a balaclava on them at first to get it to fit. We started letting them wear it around the house for a few minutes at a time and building on that time to help strengthen their neck muscles to support the helmet. Whatever you do....do not get a neck brace for them, build up their neck muscles with the gradual increase in helmet time, your moto shop may try to sell you the neck brace along with the helmet. What happens with a neck brace is, is that their neck muscles do not develop properly then and learn to support the weight of the helmet and become dependent on the brace. I learned this from my chiropractor as I took Jaymie's helmet into him to see what he thought of it and if was too heavy for her and the above were his recommendations.

If your kids are riding behind you on your quad where they should be, because having them in front you they act as your air bag in the event of an accident, you are going to want to invest in is a tek vest of some kind. I remember the first few rides with Jaymie my back would get really sore in the one spot and I always wondered why until I realized that it was her helmet constantly hitting me in the back whenever I stopped or went over moguls or whatever. I started wearing a tekvest and voila problem solved.

Hope that helps!!!

Jan

• Love

crp

Reaction score
I know you are asking about quadding but our kids have been sledding with us since they were six months old. Honestly I wouldn't go with the bike helmet because it doesn't provide any protection for their lower face/jaw. We were able to find a youth XS MX style helmet that we started our kids out in. We then were able to pick up the Zeal line of goggles that offered a polarized kids goggle that fit into the helmet. We had to put a balaclava on them at first to get it to fit. We started letting them wear it around the house for a few minutes at a time and building on that time to help strengthen their neck muscles to support the helmet. Whatever you do....do not get a neck brace for them, build up their neck muscles with the gradual increase in helmet time, your moto shop may try to sell you the neck brace along with the helmet. What happens with a neck brace is, is that their neck muscles do not develop properly then and learn to support the weight of the helmet and become dependent on the brace. I learned this from my chiropractor as I took Jaymie's helmet into him to see what he thought of it and if was too heavy for her and the above were his recommendations.

If your kids are riding behind you on your quad where they should be, because having them in front you they act as your air bag in the event of an accident, you are going to want to invest in is a tek vest of some kind. I remember the first few rides with Jaymie my back would get really sore in the one spot and I always wondered why until I realized that it was her helmet constantly hitting me in the back whenever I stopped or went over moguls or whatever. I started wearing a tekvest and voila problem solved.

Hope that helps!!!

Jan

Jan, awesome thank you......it really doesn't matter which machine it the helmets are the same! I know so many people take the kids when they are small, I always wondered how they did it, and I was super freaked about the weight on their necks so helps a lot! She is actually riding in the rzr with me, so that means she has a seat of her own, which I can buckle her carseat perfectly. When we all go out as a family it's pretty tame, as the little boys need to take their time, I just didn't like the idea of her having a bare head no matter what speed......it was sort of giving me nightmares!!!!! ;)

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moose lake by bonnyville has good trails for beginners lots of sand and no big hills. Little bit of mud if you like but nothing major. We jusg bought a commander for the little one to ride with mom in a lot safer and we run the bike helmet till i can find a helmet to fit her. She is two and cant keep her off the sleds and quads already it really makes me happy to have my family share what i love doing.

• Love

crp

Reaction score
We should meet up there someday!!!!!

Moose lake by bonnyville has good trails for beginners lots of sand and no big hills. Little bit of mud if you like but nothing major. We jusg bought a commander for the little one to ride with mom in a lot safer and we run the bike helmet till i can find a helmet to fit her. She is two and cant keep her off the sleds and quads already it really makes me happy to have my family share what i love doing.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya for sure. Tucker lake has good trails as well. Not sure if you have tried the trails north of Myrnam along the river there or not. Its been years since i rode them but was usually a good ride back to the cabin for a little hot dog roast.

crp

Reaction score
We briefly checked out trails along the river by Myrnam last fall, but we were on the south side. If you leave from the north side where is the best place to park? Under the bridge? What way is the cabin from there? Also have you tried the ones that leave from Lac Bellevue campground? I heard they are pretty decent for a nice family ride too.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No you were on the trail i was talking about north of myrnam and south side of the river. We are heading to tucker lake this weekend for a family ride with friends and their kids. Your more then welcome to come ride with us and camp there.

crp

Reaction score
No you were on the trail i was talking about north of myrnam and south side of the river. We are heading to tucker lake this weekend for a family ride with friends and their kids. Your more then welcome to come ride with us and camp there.
Depends on spraying, but if we can get away we will for sure! I'll send Elena a email on Thursday, we will have a better idea then if we can come!

Top Bottom