pics of my flat bed for sledders

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My primary use of the truck is not for sledding but I have been contemplating this idea for a few years. I like the functionality of a deck but don't like the risks associated with loading onto the 5' height deck. I also don't like having to instal and remove the deck every time I need to change from sledding to using the box.

I got rid of the box and added a deck. The deck height ended up being about 18" lower than a conventional box mounted deck. I wasn't certain how functinal a dek would be compared to a box but I like it a lot more. It is so easy to haul stuff now. The only issue would be if I wanted to haul soil but that happens once every 5 years and I could use a tarp.

The other issue with decks is the width. It is hard to function in a city with a permanent 8 foot wide deck. I used the idea from sled decks to modify my deck with expanding sides. I used 4 support beams so strength is not an issue.

IMG_9058.jpg

a good friend of mine built the steps and the handles. he also mounted the underbody boxes. It is all very strong. PM me if you need some welding and I will send his info. he is a professional welder by day and charges $35 an hour to do work in his garage evenings + weekends.

IMG_9063.jpg

rear view. Still some work to be done. Adding a hitch extension and maybe some mud flaps.

IMG_9060.jpg

here is the deck with sides pulled in.

IMG_9064.jpg

this is the deck with one of the sides pulled out.

IMG_9065.jpg

here is a pic of the steel support beams

IMG_9066.jpg

I like this deck a lot. We went to cataract a few weeks ago and there was almost a foot of snow on the roads. Absolutely no problem and truck even rides a little smoother with some weight.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a couple of decks 8-10 years ago. An F250 and an F350. Both worked out really well. I built a single sled deck so it was not too wide. I can't see myself doing it to my King Ranch.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good.. Hope it works out good for you.:d
saw a guy in Valemont who just mounted a sled deck to the frame, likr yours a lot more.. i hope the side boxes are sealed good, would hate for them to get full of chat

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had the same idea for a few years now, just have to find a truck to make the "work horse".
Just a couple thoughts I had, what about marker lights? ramp storage and possible deck extension for longtracks?
Really think the frame deck is the way to go for ultimate versatility of a truck. Nice work, I'm sure it'll treat you right.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had the same idea for a few years now, just have to find a truck to make the "work horse".
Just a couple thoughts I had, what about marker lights? ramp storage and possible deck extension for longtracks?
Really think the frame deck is the way to go for ultimate versatility of a truck. Nice work, I'm sure it'll treat you right.

I am pretty much stuck with this truck. it is a diesel with 370,000 km. It is pretty much worthless because of the mileage but runs awesome. It has been very reliable and I am in no hurry to upgrade. I will probably have it for 10 more years.

I have it chipped, cold air intake, and a 4" pipe so it pulls pretty good. The 7.3 has been great to me.

marker lights are not legally required but I have some LED I am going to mount. The tri-fold ramp goes between the sleds when I haul them and I use a bicycle lock for security. I had 156" dragon and a 162 XP and the overhang was under 2 feet so no problems there.

one last thing - the steps and handles are awesome. Brian mounted the handles in the perfect spot and it is so easy to climb onto the deck. ANyone who has owned a sled deck understands how hard it can be to get up onto the deck to start the sled but this is crazy easy.

Top Bottom