Picked up the '11 Outlander 650

rayf01

Reaction score
Pretty stoked, made the decision today at the dealer after riding both the Grizz 700 and the Can Am. Was not soley based on power, the Can-Am felt like a better ride and like you had a bit more control.

Might go for an easy trail ride on Satuday, nothing crazy until its broken in and have a few upgrades.

Questions:

1. Expect to find out from the dealer tomorrow, but what is the general consensus on break in periods?

2. How are the stock Carlisle tires in mud compared to a Maxxis Zilla?

3. Recommend a Snorkel Kit?

4. Recommend a Skid set? Would prefer one that I don't need to modify or drill holes in to the frame if I can get away from it. Considering either a full layout or everything but the rear a-arms.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty stoked, made the decision today at the dealer after riding both the Grizz 700 and the Can Am. Was not soley based on power, the Can-Am felt like a better ride and like you had a bit more control.

Might go for an easy trail ride on Satuday, nothing crazy until its broken in and have a few upgrades.

Questions:

1. Expect to find out from the dealer tomorrow, but what is the general consensus on break in periods?

2. How are the stock Carlisle tires in mud compared to a Maxxis Zilla?

3. Recommend a Snorkel Kit?

4. Recommend a Skid set? Would prefer one that I don't need to modify or drill holes in to the frame if I can get away from it. Considering either a full layout or everything but the rear a-arms.

Riccocet skid plates, I have been very happy.

Dump the Carlisle's, go with Zilla's, Swamp Lites, Big Horns, all work much better than the OEM.

Snorkel Kit, thats up to you, but I would go with the rad relocate kit, well worth the investment.

Break in? Run her like you stole her.

rayf01

Reaction score
I heard the Richochet Skid Plates you have to drill the frame to setup is that correct? Really, no break in? I thought for I would have to baby it for awhile.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new quad. As said on most threads about snorkes "they are the best insurance you will ever buy." the rad relocation isn't overly necessary. I'd put in some high quality anti-freeze and a high performance water pump.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new quad. As said on most threads about snorkes "they are the best insurance you will ever buy." the rad relocation isn't overly necessary. I'd put in some high quality anti-freeze and a high performance water pump.

A rad relocate kit is the best OEM option to add to your bike that Can Am makes. Trust me, even if you only run trails, the kit is a big time help, the machines have power no doubt, but that power comes at a cost and that cost is heat.

I had overheating problems with my machine since the day I bought it, but the day I added the OEM rad relocate kit was the last time the high temp light has come on.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard the Richochet Skid Plates you have to drill the frame to setup is that correct? Really, no break in? I thought for I would have to baby it for awhile.

Have a look at the quality of the Richochet, they are the best available in my opinion.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont even ride it till ya put ricochets on or you WILL bend the frame i broke my 800 in by riding it like i stole it !!

rayf01

Reaction score
Whats a Rad Relocate kit worth? I still would want a snorkel as well, so I gotta watch the $$$.

Any of you use the frame mod or just skid plates?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your gonna sink it, snorkel it.

If you are mudding, mud tires are worth the investment. If the quad is going to be a putter, then stock meats are good.

Skids, Ricochet skids are very nice.

Break-ins are usually until the first oil-change.

If you want to get it snorkeled, take it to Kevin at Rapid Revolutions. I plan to take mine there too.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A rad relocate kit is the best OEM option to add to your bike that Can Am makes. Trust me, even if you only run trails, the kit is a big time help, the machines have power no doubt, but that power comes at a cost and that cost is heat.

I had overheating problems with my machine since the day I bought it, but the day I added the OEM rad relocate kit was the last time the high temp light has come on.

I have mine relocated on my Brute to i just think if he isn't mud bogging very much, and is mostly just using it for slow trails and hunting it isn't worth making your front racks unusable and making you rad that much more exposed.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your gonna sink it, snorkel it.

If you are mudding, mud tires are worth the investment. If the quad is going to be a putter, then stock meats are good.

Skids, Ricochet skids are very nice.

Break-ins are usually until the first oil-change.

If you want to get it snorkeled, take it to Kevin at Rapid Revolutions. I plan to take mine there too.

Do the snorkel your self. you can find How-to's all over the internet. you can do it for around $80

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the snorkel your self. you can find How-to's all over the internet. you can do it for around $80

I don't know what it's like to snorkel a Canned Ham but if its anything like the new PoPo's, your in for a headache if you go custom and flex-hose is like cheating.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know what it's like to snorkel a Canned Ham but if its anything like the new PoPo's, your in for a headache if you go custom and flex-hose is like cheating.

Can Am now has an OEM snorkel kit, works quite well.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have mine relocated on my Brute to i just think if he isn't mud bogging very much, and is mostly just using it for slow trails and hunting it isn't worth making your front racks unusable and making you rad that much more exposed.

Every bike brand is different, each has its own weaknesses, Can Am needs the extra cooling. The way the stock rad is mounted it plugs up quite easy, not just mud, but trail riding you get leaves, dust and all sorts of stuff plugging the rad, if your in mid season after every stop the 1st thing you do is try to reach in and clean out the crap. After the stock relocate you never have to worry about it again.

rayf01

Reaction score
Does Can-Am make their own Rad Relocattion Kit or do you have to use aftermarket? I like the one that is on the XMR, really fits the machine. Not sure what else would be out there.

hedge

Reaction score
I just got these skids

They are a copy of the ricochet's but seem to be good quality and the shipping is free from BC

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too am considering an outlander max 650 over the grizz.From what I have read the stock intake snorkle is high up on an 11 its just the CVT intake that is low and requires snorkling if deep water is your pleasure.If you want to be sure on the frame you can order the ATR aluminum spine that goes inside the stock frame and then wrap it all in ricochete skids.As far as breakin I too agree with the ride it like you stole it breakin.Just don't overheat on breakin allow some heat cool cycles

rayf01

Reaction score
The Spine or Steel method to strengthen the frames is a great idea, however with Can-AMs 2011 "partial" approach to fix a potential issue they inserted their own re-inforcment on about 1/3 of the frame in the front as most of you know. The issue here is even if you use the spine, there is still a major weakpoint between the spine and the factory mod Can Am did as it is not a solid piece. There are a ton of CanAm owners out there and I am sure many of them never have issues. I think I will most likley just run the Skid Plates, watch how I drive and enjoy the ATV. Hopefully that turns out OK in the end.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does Can-Am make their own Rad Relocattion Kit or do you have to use aftermarket? I like the one that is on the XMR, really fits the machine. Not sure what else would be out there.

Can-Am has their own. Just ask for the replacement parts for an XMR, it will fit on your Outlander.

Gorilla Axle and Highlifter are two aftermarket companies that offer the kits as well.

Top Bottom