Philosophical Thoughts on Sledding - two steps forward, one step.....?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most guys out on the hill having fun and riding with their buds DON'T GIVE A FAWK about who did what on what hill, we are just there to have fun and share some memories, enjoy the day and good company. I know my sleds get me to places I want to go, are they the fastest out there? Nope but they go plenty fast enough for me and probably can hold their own, but I'm not about challenging others, I ride for my own personal enjoyment/satisfaction, not to knock someone else down a peg. When push comes to shove, on the hill is where it counts, not on a computer screen.

Most people miss the point about sledding, they use it as a benchmark to compare themselves and their sleds to others, often times with pointless self-justifications. This isn't a motocross track you go round and round on, comparing lap times or position. Sure there is always healthy competition poking a hill or jabs taken at the guy who got stuck in the creek bed etc, but it should stay on the hill. On a track if you come in first, you might earn yourself a crappy $20 trophy, if you climb the highest on an unstable slope proving your "manhood", you might earn yourself an expensive funeral.

Truly understanding sledding means you have evolved past taking it beyond the staging area when you come off the hill, and that you ride for you and to push your boundaries or to see new terrain that you will never see in the other 3 seasons of the year, and see some terrain that others may never see, or wildlife that others may never see. To experience the silence of nature when its so quiet in the forest you can hear snow landing on your sled seat. To look over and see your buddies laughing around a fire at lunchtime eating smokies with mustard stuck on the corner of their mouth, feeling the rush of your sled pulling hard.

Stop and look around you, and realize that many people in the world will never experience these things, they are one of lifes bonuses. Some people are born and spend their whole life struggling to get by, and not for lack of effort, and could never dream of owning a sled. Seems like lots of people take this for granted. A few years back Swenson and Davidoff took some underpriveledged kids sledding, it was probably the trip of a lifetime for those youngsters. Things like these really put it into perspective and often times are few and far between. Sledding is a unique experience in that you are not bound by paved roads or developed trails, the possibility of travel is limitless if you have snow.

Seems like only the guys that have something to prove to themselves, get on the internet and brag about how much higher/farther/faster they went, or can go, then someone else.

Are some ever going to grow up, move past the brand bashing and cock measuring and just ride for themselves? The internet seems to have empowered our enemies to allowed them to share information to do irreversible damage to our reputation, are we just going to use it to pass the time bickering and drive in more "user group" wedges, while more nails are pounded in our coffin? Will we ever clue in and generate some good publicity for ourselves? When I started sledding almost 25 yrs ago, I never dreamed of the issues we face today, regulations, animal closures, etc. I'm interested to see where the next 25 yrs takes us.

Last edited:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most guys out on the hill having fun and riding with their buds DON'T GIVE A FAWK about who did what on what hill, we are just there to have fun and share some memories, enjoy the day and good company. I know my sleds get me to places I want to go, are they the fastest out there? Nope but they go plenty fast enough for me and probably can hold their own, but I'm not about challenging others, I ride for my own personal enjoyment/satisfaction, not to knock someone else down a peg. When push comes to shove, on the hill is where it counts, not on a computer screen.

Most people miss the point about sledding, they use it as a benchmark to compare themselves and their sleds to others, often times with pointless self-justifications. This isn't a motocross track you go round and round on, comparing lap times or position. Sure there is always healthy competition poking a hill or jabs taken at the guy who got stuck in the creek bed etc, but it should stay on the hill. On a track if you come in first, you might earn yourself a crappy $20 trophy, if you climb the highest on an unstable slope proving your "manhood", you might earn yourself an expensive funeral.

Truly understanding sledding means you have evolved past taking it beyond the staging area when you come off the hill, and that you ride for you and to push your boundaries or to see new terrain that you will never see in the other 3 months of the year, and see some terrain that others may never see, or wildlife that others may never see. To experience the silence of nature when its so quiet in the forest you can hear snow landing on your sled seat. To look over and see your buddies laughing around a fire at lunchtime eating smokies with mustard stuck on the corner of their mouth, feeling the rush of your sled pulling hard.

Stop and look around you, and realize that many people in the world will never experience these things, they are one of lifes bonuses. Some people are born and spend their whole life struggling to get by, and not for lack of effort, and could never dream of owning a sled. Seems like lots of people take this for granted. A few years back Swenson and Davidoff took some underpriveledged kids sledding, it was probably the trip of a lifetime for those youngsters. Things like these really put it into perspective and often times are few and far between. Sledding is a unique experience in that you are not bound by paved roads or developed trails, the possibility of travel is limitless if you have snow.

Seems like only the guys that have something to prove to themselves, get on the internet and brag about how much higher/farther/faster they went, or can go, then someone else.

Are some ever going to grow up, move past the brand bashing and cock measuring and just ride for themselves? The internet seems to have empowered our enemies to allowed them to share information to do irreversible damage to our reputation, are we just going to use it to pass the time bickering and drive in more "user group" wedges, while more nails are pounded in our coffin? Will we ever clue in and generate some good publicity for ourselves? When I started sledding almost 25 yrs ago, I never dreamed of the issues we face today, regulations, animal closures, etc. I'm interested to see where the next 25 yrs takes us.

If we dont get our chit together it will be alot less than 25 yrs before they close the back country to sledders.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Truly understanding sledding means you have evolved past taking it beyond the staging area when you come off the hill, and that you ride for you and to push your boundaries or to see new terrain that you will never see in the other 3 months of the year, and see some terrain that others may never see, or wildlife that others may never see. To experience the silence of nature when its so quiet in the forest you can hear snow landing on your sled seat. To look over and see your buddies laughing around a fire at lunchtime eating smokies with mustard stuck on the corner of their mouth, feeling the rush of your sled pulling hard.

Wow, very well said. Hope others take time to read and understand what you are saying here. THX

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are some ever going to grow up, move past the brand bashing and cock measuring and just ride for themselves?

Nope....after 43 years of riding & 20 years of land use negotiations, I've given up on that ever happening. It's really sad. :(

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All valid points and well written. I just wonder what transpired in your weekend that prompted you to write it. We just spent a week in Montana sledding and noticed that there is a totally different attitude there regarding sledding. It is looked upon as an alternative sport for people to participate in - not as a rival sport or as one to try to get rid of. Where in Canada can you find a sign at the ski lodge that says "Snowmobile Parking"?

edit: Maybe it's just a local thing but nice to come across anyway.

Last edited:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very well written. Loved it! :):) I think that this write-up should be distributed....pretty much explains the sport of sledding, and how it's evolved to the sport it is today. Makes more sense I guess to the peeps like us that have been sledding 25+ years.....we are truly lucky to have experienced what the sport has given us and it will be interesting to see what will happen to the sport in the future. Truth is...I am worried about the future of sledding. There is too many peeps that don't want us out there, and even more sledders not helping our cause out. :(

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is how we improve by pushing our selves against our buddies every day on the hill. My friends and I all ride the same sleds. None go higher than the other that's not what we do. Our style of riding we push eachother in safe technical terrain to get better. Simmple. That's wrong? I sled for myself yes but I also push my friends to learn from me and I also push myself to do what they are doing so I can learn from them also.
And brand bashing what does that have to do with closures? I'm lost guess I'm too simple minded.

Media doesn't care what w are arguing about on here unless its a topic like avalanches or rescuing horses.

Either way nicely written article! Good work. Couldn't agree more with it. Just not following a few items. Maybe ill read again when I'm not on my one inch phone screen lol.

the closures are scary. A growing sport in a shrinking space. It would be like removing a hockey arena every year randomly.

Last edited:

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are all very lucky to be involved with this sport and I like what you have written, but I agree with some of Maxwells points. Not to sure how stuff that gets discussed here affects closures? The brand bashing does get over the top some times, but who really cares what some one else rides? I love the sh!t talk about sleds it's half the fun of it when our group gets out there, wer're sledding we talk about sleds. The manufacturers must be paying attention to these forums, as the improvements we see each year seem to get us the sleds we are asking for.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is how we improve by pushing our selves against our buddies every day on the hill. My friends and I all ride the same sleds. None go higher than the other that's not what we do. Our style of riding we push eachother in safe technical terrain to get better. Simmple. That's wrong? .

You have to look at the bigger picture. In a nut shell, I'm summarizing some key points I've observed over the last 25 yrs.

If it doesn't matter on the hill, why does it matter on our computers? Get out, push yourself, have fun, and let others have their fun, that IS the point. Don't downgrade someone else's experience to put yourself up a step. If the guy with the boosted yammy wants to stab the same hill all day, who fawkin' cares, so long as he is happy. So what if brand X beat 3 brand Y's last weekend? Leave it on the hill and let's do something productive with our energy, instead of pointlessly and repeatedly debating who beat who on any given Sunday, because it all directly relates back to the sport you represent and how much longer it will last. We all enjoy the same sport, can we not evolve past petty differences and focus on issues that matter?

When we look back in 25 yrs Sean, what do you think will have truly mattered in our sport? All the threads about "I think my 201_ "Brand X" sled is better than all the others", or something that really made a difference?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More of a life lesson, but applies to sledders too...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330381496.443827.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330381496.443827.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 136

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well written!Most people take themselves to seriously!Who cares who rides what as long as it makes it back to the truck!Anyone in our group starts getting a little to full of themselves we settle it with an old fashion squaw wrestle(3 out of 5)!But back to the real issue what's being done about those hid headlites and rig rockets?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're being washed & waxed as we speak! :ramsfan_small:

In the immortal words of Jim Phelan: "Let’s all sit around and talk about how awesome our sleds are. . . Then we’ll go home."

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my take away from Modman's comments is that if we put the same effort that we do blabbin away on forums about SFA to something a bit more constructive, we would collectively be a force to be reckoned with

hmmmm.......i supose that is true but at the same time most members on these sites are aware of the issues and are doing what they can to fight it. its the ones that arent and are running around on the hill with no sense or appreciation for whats going on in the background that is the problem.

for example just this past weekend our little poker rally in valemount raised 2600$ for disabled children in bc. lots of snowandmud members there including myself. and this goes on all over alberta and bc every weekend. afterwards i came on here and did some brand bashing, and posted some things that are indeed SFA. LOL.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to look at the bigger picture. In a nut shell, I'm summarizing some key points I've observed over the last 25 yrs.

If it doesn't matter on the hill, why does it matter on our computers? Get out, push yourself, have fun, and let others have their fun, that IS the point. Don't downgrade someone else's experience to put yourself up a step. If the guy with the boosted yammy wants to stab the same hill all day, who fawkin' cares, so long as he is happy. So what if brand X beat 3 brand Y's last weekend? Leave it on the hill and let's do something productive with our energy, instead of pointlessly and repeatedly debating who beat who on any given Sunday, because it all directly relates back to the sport you represent and how much longer it will last. We all enjoy the same sport, can we not evolve past petty differences and focus on issues that matter?

When we look back in 25 yrs Sean, what do you think will have truly mattered in our sport? All the threads about "I think my 201_ "Brand X" sled is better than all the others", or something that really made a difference?

10-4 roger.

i just believe that regardless of what happens on here every member of this site is a contributor to the betterment of the sport in one way or another. through messages and posts from people like yourself. these things spread around.

Top Bottom