phazer mtx or nytro xtx

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am looking at buying an upgraded sled, my current ride is a 93 mxz 470, the original "z" anyway, i really like the looks of the nytro xtx, but it is a little out of my budget for now, i also like the looks of the phazer mtx, just a little worried about the power out of the 500. i ride lots of trails, i like boondocking and playing in the deep stuff, not to big on mountain riding though, i would go a bit if i had a sled but dont care how high i can climb. more than anything though i just want something solid and fun to ride, reliability is key. i like jumping and want something i can through around, i am not to fond of the 800 class sleds as the fuel milage sucks bad, i keep winding up breaking trail for them with my tired old 470 short track because they simply run out of fuel before we get anywhere if they are out front. what mods are out there for the phazer mtx other than full on turbos. what types of gains can be made on the phazer on a budget. i can afford the phazer now, or wait a year for the nytro, the only 800 class sled that i like is the rmk assualt, but as with the nytro i dont have the budget for it right now.oh yeah one last thing, i am not really all that keen on going to a huge disgusting mile and a half long track, as they suck the fun factor out of riding i just want enough that i dont get stuck all the time.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Think you'll find that the four strokes have lots of low end torque on them, as for a cheap horsepower upgrade, you could try NOS for power when you need it. You might want to rent a Phazer before you buy one, they are quite different to ride from a two stroke.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had an 07 phazer mtx and loved it. but as your probably well aware they are a lil short on power, that being said it was a very reliable sled. although now i own an 08 nytro mtx i wouldnt go back. the nytro is a very well put together sled in my opinion and the xtx is a highly rated sled among most critics. i would say prolly wait until you can afford the nytro. but if you can get on a phazer im sure you will notice a difference from your Z. from what i know there is not a whole lot aside from a turbo to get descent gains out of a phazer. but it is deffinately worth a test drive to help curb your descision.:d

Reaction score
There are a few upgrades to the '07 Phazer that you should be aware of or at least make sure they have been done if you find one. Filler plate at rear end and spindles for starters, and if starter is acting up there is a better one now too. If it doesn't want to go into reverse there's a shim thing that the dealer can do to eliminate that as well. Don't know when the warranty will stop covering this kind of stuff bit I got it all on warranty long after mine was expired.
Power is good for what the sled was designed to do. Floatation and traction is good too. Fuel economy is excellent handleing is great with a set of Gen1 Simmons. Funfactor in powder is high and as for boondocking/jumping etc., not sure about that as my daughter was not into that too much. it did ok in the mountains for her too, but it was her first exposure to mountain riding and more HP is a must for more seasoned riders. PhazerMTX is not in the same class as NytroXTX and the cost of XTX will be astronomical compared to MTX. Depending on your age and your ability the MTX Phazer could be a very good sled for a couple years but the power will be it's shortfall and boost is not a great idea for Phazer engine. Too much money for only a 160hp sled and not many buyers for it after your done with it. Just my opinion!!!

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a fair bit of experience riding, been riding off and on for 20 years, i just look at these mountain machines and stuff now and i just dont get it, i just want a good all round sled yeah i want to go to the mountains, no i dont need to climb everything all the time, i prefer the challenge of actaully having to ride in the tough going, i also love ditch banging, rough trails and so on. more than anything i want something reliable i have enough stuff that needs to be worked on every weekend my sled wont be.

Reaction score
i have a fair bit of experience riding, been riding off and on for 20 years, i just look at these mountain machines and stuff now and i just dont get it, i just want a good all round sled yeah i want to go to the mountains, no i dont need to climb everything all the time, i prefer the challenge of actaully having to ride in the tough going, i also love ditch banging, rough trails and so on. more than anything i want something reliable i have enough stuff that needs to be worked on every weekend my sled wont be.
Ok, based on this bit of info I would suggest you wait for the XTX to be with in your grasp. Thought you were more of a novist but your not. Two of my flatland riding buds had new XTX last year. great sled for all you have describ ed except for powder/deep snow. Thats where the track would need to be upgraded and of course some clutching for Mt's. Fuel economy was very good with xtx(17+) on trails and 12+ off trail. One of these sleds got over 2,000mi last winter and was totally trouble free.

Top Bottom