Petroleum Eng. vs Power Eng.

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
Im looking at getting into Petroleum engineering or Power engineering. Both are interesting to me, it seems like Petroleum eng. has a bit better pay, but not as many different opportunities. Is power eng. a lot of sitting around and watching gauges like i understand?? Anyone have any experience with either?
I would be taking power at Siast and Petroleum at SAIT.
Thanks.

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Petroleum is oilfield well/plant production focus. Power engineering is more broad industry wise as it is focused more towards steam/power generation. So could be any industry from manufacturing to oilsands to a lumber mill. To me steam is really boring......

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anytime you work in a plant environment you're going to do a lot of gauge reading and walking around.

cant go wrong with either, but power eng. gives more options imo. Hospitals, wastewater treatment, breweries, building ops, pulp mills, chem plants, power plants....

WinchBreaker

Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong either way. I am a 1997 graduate of Petroleum Engineering from NAIT. I have also become a 2nd class power engineer over the years. Both programs are good. When I graduated from Petroleum, jobs were plenty. I am sure it was the same for the Power Eng grads as well.

However, if I was to do it all over again, I would have just taken Power Engineering Technology. I just think that this route gives you opportunity in different industries. As a power engineer, you most likely will become an operator. You can then be an operator in power plants, gas plants, oilsands upgraders, chemical plants, refineries, hospitals, pulp mills, buildings, etc. These are for the most part - good jobs that you can build communities around. Operators with steam tickets seem to be in demand these days.

As a Petroleum tech, you could be doing many different things for employment. When I talk to my classmates from Petroleum tech (whom are now 17 years into their careers as well), most of them are hanging their hats as supervisors for driling, well completions, well servicing, upstream oil and gas production, that kind of thing. Some of those are good jobs, some are not so good.

One thing though, if you choose power engineering, make sure you can handle shift work. Most likely you will become a shift worker for some amount of time.

My two cents. You are starting out correct by choosing between two very good programs. Cheers and Good luck!

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a operator of a major plant just north of fort mcmurray and I must say it is the best job I've ever had in my life, in regards of job security, pay, vacation, and shift schedule. The mix of field/office work is perfect, I thoroughly enjoy the challenges and makes for a very satisfying career, good luck to you In which ever career path you choose

Sent from my iPhone while drinkin a bud light

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
What about getting a dual ticket? Any demand for a Power Engineer/Petroleum engineer or Power/Instrumentation?
Thanks.

ABOMB177

Reaction score
What about getting a dual ticket? Any demand for a Power Engineer/Petroleum engineer or Power/Instrumentation?
Thanks.

From my experiance as a power engineer a dual ticket is nice to hang on the wall but wont get you any further ahead. It may help you trouble shoot but the upfront cost and time training isnt worth it in my opinion

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
Ok, thanks everyone. If i graduate say Siast with half of my 2nd class in power, how many months of firing time is required to challenge the second part to get my full 2nd class?
So when I'm fresh out of siast/sait I am eligible to work as a 3rd class but not a 2nd correct?

Last edited:

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With half a second out of siast I believe you'll still need 2 years of firing time. With nait it's only one year. You're only able to work the ticket you have, so half a second class you'll still only be able to work a third class position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
With half a second out of siast I believe you'll still need 2 years of firing time. With nait it's only one year. You're only able to work the ticket you have, so half a second class you'll still only be able to work a third class position.

Ok, thanks.
So would 2 years be the period i am employed by an eligible plant correct?
Thanks.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's correct, two years of being employed in a third class position is what's required to get a second class.

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
Alright, thanks everyone. One more question - do you find power engineering fulfilling? In what ways?

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can write all the 2nd class papers once you get a 3rd now. Just won't get the ticket till you get the firing time.

Fulfilling? It's not like helping sick kids, but time off and decent pay is good. Knowing your schedule is nice.

Power eng is a small world. Make friends in school.

'12 T4

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been doing this for 35 years. Got my 4th in 1979....got my second now, great gig, always changing. Do a good job, keep a good attitude and doors will open, and it's always been interesting. I'm not gonna retire....keep working 20 weeks a year (full time) until I tip over. It's really like I'm semi retired already.

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Instrumentation is also interesting to me, pay looks similar, but there just doesn't seem like there is as much room to 'advance'... Cause it'd be awesome to eventually move up within, wether it be with my 1st class or more of a management type position.
Anyone have any experience with power and instrumentation?
Which route uses your noggin more?
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

Last edited:

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too me power is king, instrumentation is nice but your just a regular maintenance folk, if you want to move up to a plant manager/ regional manager for a major company take power engineering, start as a operator and work your way up through the ranks.

Sent from my iPhone while drinkin a bud light

LordSnow

Reaction score
Hi, i need some career advice from any Petroleum Engineering Technologists who have experience in the field. I recently enrolled into the Petroleum Engineering Technology program at NAIT. What are the various career routes that you can go with a program like this and how easy is it to find a job after graduation. I have done my part of the research about the program but it is always good to know from people who have tons of experience in this field. I also have a bit of educational background in geology so i am hoping that that might come in handy at some point.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Instrumentation is also interesting to me, pay looks similar, but there just doesn't seem like there is as much room to 'advance'... Cause it'd be awesome to eventually move up within, wether it be with my 1st class or more of a management type position.
Anyone have any experience with power and instrumentation?
Which route uses your noggin more?
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

Instrumentation. .. but I'm biased. You will think more as an instrument guy hands down... I know how to run the plants I work in better than most guys on the panel do. . And most of them don't troubleshoot.... just an overpaid call out system for when the dcs can't just run the place on its own. That goes for the panel guys and the guys on the floor. Some are excellent like with everything but it's just a laziness thing they get away with I suppose.

You can move into management on the maintenance side of the world too so it's up to you. I went a different route as I started my own contracting company and now have 4 employees working with me. I never could stand working for someone else so they could have their proverbial finger over you. Very, very few will get to my level... much like those management positions spoken about on the operations side. Do what you enjoy the most.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom