Petro Can gas

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not true at all. If the manufacturer of the engine recommends regular, then that is what you should run. If said engine requires 87-89 octane, you are sacrificing hp by running a higher octane fuel. I run regular fuel in my chainsaw, power auger, generator and quad. No issues at all

Sent from my iPad when I should be sledding.
You are right on the octane but most of these engines were not designed to run on ethanol
Fuel with ethanol separates over time, gums up carbs and attracts water and is corrosive the only way to avoid fuel with ethanol is to run certin brands of premium

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention this, I had the same issues on 2 seperate trips with my stock pc800 just a can. I think you're paying for premium but getting 87 octane, just my theory, odd it never det sensored riding any other sled areas.

That would be the ethanol in the fuel. Higher octane rating is a greater resistance to detonation but as 250 said the ethanol can really screw with an engine, especially a high revving one.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Headed out this weekend with a tank of shell premium in mine and couple jerrys full of PC 94. Ran good the first day and had engine code/light when running the PC from the cans. Going to drain the tank and refill with Shell premium for next ride with my fingers crossed.

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out riding in Revy and sicamous for a few days last week and ran only petro Canada 94 in my 2012 pro with a pa head, ran like crap for the last couple of days took it in to cycle works to have them run threw a couple things, they phoned me back after testing my fuel for ethanol and found it to be about 40% ethanol! , I dam near fell over. Won't be running that stuff again.

mudbug

Reaction score
Lets get the Ethonal thing straight, all service stations in alberta, BC, Sask run 10% Ethonal in there regular product when it's mid grade its blended with the Premium and will have 5% Ethonal as were straight premium as no Ethonal content. The only way you will get Ethonal in your Premium fuel will be from the last guy that ran Regular on his last fill up at that pump, there is about 1 litre of fuel from the top of the pump to the nozzle contained in the hose etc. In order to get straight premium you would have to run a few litres into you truck to flush out the hose also remember most fuel comes from the same refinery!! but they all add there additives as it goes on the truck just alittle food for thought the next time you fill up.
If your machine says to run Regular run it its meant to, putting in Premium is money out of your pocket. But on the other hand if your machine sits for 2-3 weeks between rides then use an additive or you will have issues with the ethonal. :cool:

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 assault and I ran pc from
day one until around 250 miles and then all the hiccup and bog
bull ch!t started
the dealer told me to only run shell gold and switch the resistor after I took it in
it sort of fixed it , but I still some times have a fowled plug feeling sometimes when I first start out and then it go's away
for the rest of the day, now I bring all my shell gold gas for the weekend with me

what I can't figure out is the pc was totally fine in the beginning and now it won't run worth ch!t on it ?
what happened or wor out
lol

MarkCos - This is probably because they didn't have the ethanol in the fuel when you first got your sled. It was a federal requirement that was implemented in 2012 to run 5% minimum ethanol in gasoline and 2% biodiesel in diesel. Shell V-Power Gold does not have ethanol in it, because they increase the amount in the lower grades to make up for the total requirements. Other gasoline producers do not do this.

Please don't condemn me, guys, but the reason I know this, is because I make the stuff at the plant where I work.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not true at all. If the manufacturer of the engine recommends regular, then that is what you should run. If said engine requires 87-89 octane, you are sacrificing hp by running a higher octane fuel. I run regular fuel in my chainsaw, power auger, generator and quad. No issues at all

Sent from my iPad when I should be sledding.

That would be the ethanol in the fuel. Higher octane rating is a greater resistance to detonation but as 250 said the ethanol can really screw with an engine, especially a high revving one.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

I don't mean to stir the pot, but you guys may have some incorrect information. You are not sacrificing hp. Octane rating is the rate of burn of the fuel. The higher the octane number, the slower the burn, and more efficient burn of all the fuel. You actually get more hp from higher octane fuel. In engines that don't require higher octane fuels, like generators, chainsaws, etc., there is no noticable difference, other than some may run smoother. It is more expensive, too. A lot of the small engines in small power equipment is not supposed to run with ethanol, as it can lead to lean conditions, as it is a very dry fuel. It will lead to detonation in high performance engines, like snowmobiles, and dirt bikes. The higher octane fuel burns slower and will not detonate as easily.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MarkCos - This is probably because they didn't have the ethanol in the fuel when you first got your sled. It was a federal requirement that was implemented in 2012 to run 5% minimum ethanol in gasoline and 2% biodiesel in diesel. Shell V-Power Gold does not have ethanol in it, because they increase the amount in the lower grades to make up for the total requirements. Other gasoline producers do not do this.

Please don't condemn me, guys, but the reason I know this, is because I make the stuff at the plant where I work.

so you are the direct cause of my sled running crappy!!!! you sob:D

damn government

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Arctic cats pre 2010 are designed to run on 89 octane, I ran our 2007 on 91 and didnt really notice a problem, but it runs better and gets better mieage on 89 then 91

Found this artical.....

This is more of a clarifying post, rather than advice or tips. It’s about fuel octane, when to choose what octane for your vehicle, and what the wrong octane will do.Why? Because I’ve heard so many people talk about how they ‘threw some high octane’ in their car ‘to get more performance’.
First the basics. What is the octane rating you see on every fuel pump everywhere?
Without getting technical and beyond the scope of this article, octane is a measure of gasoline’s anti-knocking properties. What is anti-knocking? Well, simply put knocking is a condition in which fuel burns too early in the combustion process, also called pre-detonation or pinging. It’s the instability of gasoline that causes it to burn prematurely and unstably. The higher the octane, the more stable the gasoline.
IMPORTANT: Higher octane gasoline, which is more stable, has no more energy potential than lower octane gasoline. There is no more energy to be had from high octane gasoline, then from low octane gasoline.
What octane gasoline should I be using in my car?
Use only what the owner’s manual specifies. If your car is designed to run on regular gasoline, or 87 octane. If your manual specifies higher octane fuel, such as 89, 91, or 93 use the closest octane rating available at your gas station without going below the specified rating in your manual.
What will happen if I use higher octane gas than I’m supposed to?
A few things. For one, you will be wasting a huge amount of money paying for high octane gasoline. Second, your car will not run correctly, whether you notice it or not. Higher octane fuel requires more heat and more precision to burn correctly. If your car is designed to burn 87, it will not burn 93 correctly. Third, your gas mileage will suffer. The inability of your engine to burn the higher octane gas correctly will cause your engine to produce less power and thus will require more fuel to perform at the same level.
What about using lower octane gasoline in a high octane engine?
In this situation, you will see negative effects that could be even worse. Using low octane fuel in a high octane engine will result in severely reduced performance because the engine will attempt to adjust to the lower octane gasoline. In extreme cases, or with prolonged use of low octane gasoline in these engines, pinging or pre-detonation can occur and can eventually destroy your engine. Pre-detonation causes very hot conditions in your engine and can melt sparkplug and pistons.
What fuel you use in your vehicle is important. Make sure you always follow the manufacturers recommendations. Using a fuel other than what the manufacturer specifies will in no way help you save money, gain power, or do anything other than cost you money.

mudbug

Reaction score
I run sea foam when I know my toys are going to sit for awhile..........:bike:

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks heimie for the info , it makes sense
i wonder if it would be sweet if I added a splash of av gas to my shell gold
to make it Evan better ??
lol

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to stir the pot, but you guys may have some incorrect information. You are not sacrificing hp. Octane rating is the rate of burn of the fuel. The higher the octane number, the slower the burn, and more efficient burn of all the fuel. You actually get more hp from higher octane fuel. In engines that don't require higher octane fuels, like generators, chainsaws, etc., there is no noticable difference, other than some may run smoother. It is more expensive, too. A lot of the small engines in small power equipment is not supposed to run with ethanol, as it can lead to lean conditions, as it is a very dry fuel. It will lead to detonation in high performance engines, like snowmobiles, and dirt bikes. The higher octane fuel burns slower and will not detonate as easily.

If you are running a slower burning fuel in a compression ratio / combustion chamber design that asks for regular fuel, you are losing performance. Will your butt Dyno notice? Maybe... maybe not.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets get the Ethonal thing straight, all service stations in alberta, BC, Sask run 10% Ethonal in there regular product when it's mid grade its blended with the Premium and will have 5% Ethonal as were straight premium as no Ethonal content. The only way you will get Ethonal in your Premium fuel will be from the last guy that ran Regular on his last fill up at that pump, there is about 1 litre of fuel from the top of the pump to the nozzle contained in the hose etc. In order to get straight premium you would have to run a few litres into you truck to flush out the hose also remember most fuel comes from the same refinery!! but they all add there additives as it goes on the truck just alittle food for thought the next time you fill up.
If your machine says to run Regular run it its meant to, putting in Premium is money out of your pocket. But on the other hand if your machine sits for 2-3 weeks between rides then use an additive or you will have issues with the ethonal. :cool:
Not true at all. Adding ethanol to fuel actually INCREASES the octane rating of the fuel, that is why Petro Can Ultra 94 is 94 octane, they have added ethanol to it to increase the octane rating. Some companies add ethanol to increase octane rating.
This is from the Petro Canada website.

• Ethanol-blended gasoline
Ethanol-blended gasoline is a fuel that typically contains up to 10% ethanol in unleaded gasoline. We use ethanol in our gasoline where legislation requires its use and where conditions warrant. The Federal Government has regulated that motor gasoline sold in Canada after Sept. 1, 2010 must contain an annual pool average of 5% ethanol. Different provincial mandates also exist, some with higher ethanol pool requirements. Because of these mandates, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada. To find out if ethanol-blended gasoline is sold at a station look for the yellow labels in the pump area indicating that the fuel may contain a maximum of 10% ethanol.​
Octane rating isn't exactly the rate of burn of the fuel. That does relate to it, but the octane rating that we use in Canada and the US is literally called the Anti-Knock Index, which is a resistance to detonation. This means that the fuel has a higher resistance to self ignition and detonating too early in the stroke. Due to this resistance, the fuel burns in a controlled manner, when it is ignited by the spark plug, rather than exploding uncontrollably due to compression. Running a higher octane rating in an engine does NOT actually increase hp of an engine. Running Petro Ultra 94 over Shell V-Power 91 could actually decrease hp, because Petro Can using ethanol to increase the octane rating, and ethanol has a lower energy density in it than gasoline, but a higher octane rating.
High performance engines require higher octane, because they run a higher compression and require a fuel that will resist self-ignition, thus allowing the engine to perform to its maximum potential by burning the fuel exactly when it is meant to, at the top of the stroke. Running lower octane than is required will decrease hp output, because the fuel will tend to detonate, so the engine will retard the timing, to avoid the detonation, which reduces hp and fuel efficiency.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I guess I had some of my facts and info mixed up. I found a really good article referring to the octane of fuel. Here is the link to the octane article:

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ethanol blended fuel is bad news for seasonal equipment, from info that I have read it starts to degrade very quickly. The ethanol absorbs water and separates from the gas even with stabilizer added. If your putting your sled, quad, lawn mower etc. away for the off season, I would suggest draining any ethanol blended fuel from your tank, and storing it with stabilized ethanol free fuel. JMO :beer:

Top Bottom