Petition to Abolish the Indian Act of Canada

mxzretta

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMFAO , if we were "smart" we would treat natives like any other race/culture !!!! Fair and equal to everyone else with NO SPECIAL tax/financial benifits for them ,that others are not allowed..........

I do not have to forgive for anything to any natives,nor do they to me...HOWEVER most of their band leaders & Chiefs should be ashamed for the way in which they have treated their "own" people in regards to corruption. Most of the protests are a diversion from the real issue. Which is fraud and widespread financial coruption among those in power on most reserves.....

As far as city`s, i have never seen a native reserve in a city yet,most are in the country if not remote areas........??????

With out the treaties do you really think Canada would be the country it is today. The natives didnt want the treaties it was the government at the time. What good is a treaty if one side wants to change it, should we make changes to the nuclear treaties. As for a rez in the city there is one in North Vancouver and Enoch is right across the road from Edmonton. What was first posted was a petition to abolish the indian act not abolish the treaties.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get rid of them all everyone should be equal....
Sorry but I think that would be best for every one in Canada.
We don't live in a first come first serve country.imo

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What was first posted was a petition to abolish the indian act not abolish the treaties.

Exactly. Gotta stop confusing one with the other! Can't just abolish a treaty, it's a legal document. The Indian Act is legislation. We change those all the time in Canada, and ignore them half the time anyway.

Last edited:

Remoth

Reaction score
In have no problem with natives. They have never tried to change the way I live. Changes to the treaty must happen but i agree it cant be abolished. I worry about Global migration Of the Muslims. Somali and all other 3rd world imagrants that will change the culture of Canadians into a bunch of rock chucking retards just like there home country's. it starts with schools that can't sing O Canada because the word god is in it. Or merry Christmas being abolished due to there religions beliefs. Women who don't have to show there faces in court. Cops who wear turbans and us conforming to there beliefs. Canada as a whole is in trouble and If we are smart we will ask for forgiveness from the natives. Join hands with them and take our country back!! Of course that won't happen and this country will be the biggest hub for unrest and terror in a 100 or so years. Till then I will stay away from the city's and ride!

What is Canadian culture? Are we not just a crockpot of everything? Canada is built on immigrants, there is no such thing as a Canadian culture anymore, hasn't been for much longer than you've been around.

We live in a modern society, where anything and everything is possible no matter where you are. Countries that still have "culture" are under-developed countries that are unable to develop themselves into a 1st world country, and thus must rely on old methods of surviving. Old natives always talk about the young natives losing their culture. Well, it's because they live in a better time where your old ways are not needed. When you go to your desk job at a bank or pump gas, what culture are you preserving?

Christmas? That is not culture, that's part of your religious belief. Who's to say your PERSONAL RELIGIOUS BELIEF is more important than another's? You can say merry Christmas to anyone you want, just the same as someone can say happy Hanukkah, or whatever they celebrate. Why do you feel the need to see Christmas memorabilia plastered everywhere? Is your private celebration of it not enough that you want to drag everyone else into it whether they celebrate it or not? What would you do if a Chinese person that owns your local Walmart, put up decorations for their Chinese holiday so that every time you went in there, it was rubbed in your face? Would you stop shopping there and go someplace else, probably more expensive places? I doubt it. You'd probably complain, or if you yourself wouldn't then another person like yourself would.

I agree that anyone that comes to a new country should follow the legal system of that country, and the legal system takes priority over their personal beliefs. Showing your face in court is a big one that I agree with, but what's the big deal with a turban on a police officer? Does he not wear the rest of the uniform? Unless it is against the law (which I may obviously not be aware of), I don't see the problem. It's a hat. I get that it has another purpose, but so what? Are you worried that he could be a terrorist because he has a turban? Are police officers allowed to wear toques when it's cold, or is that against your ideals? Why do police officers have to follow your religious ideals? They are citizens in this country same as you.

I have zero problems with non-stereotypical natives. Natives who become a part of useful society. It's the stereotypical ones I have a problem with, same with stereotypical black, white, Asian, etc. I guarantee the natives thought the exact same thing centuries ago that you are saying now. Being that everyone in this country is an immigrant, you have no right to hate on other immigrants. Your ancestors forced the same beliefs that you hold so dearly onto the natives that were here before.

If society never changed because of advancements or intolerances, we would still be in the Stone Age. Get over it.

Last edited:

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Gotta stop confusing one with the other! Can't just abolish a treaty, it's a legal document. The Indian Act is legislation. We change those all the time in Canada, and ignore them half the time anyway.
Crap i got to start reading things twice. good call

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is Canadian culture? Are we not just a crockpot of everything? Canada is built on immigrants, there is no such thing as a Canadian culture anymore, hasn't been for much longer than you've been around.

We live in a modern society, where anything and everything is possible no matter where you are. Countries that still have "culture" are under-developed countries that are unable to develop themselves into a 1st world country, and thus must rely on old methods of surviving. Old natives always talk about the young natives losing their culture. Well, it's because they live in a better time where your old ways are not needed. When you go to your desk job at a bank or pump gas, what culture are you preserving?

Christmas? That is not culture, that's part of your religious belief. Who's to say your PERSONAL RELIGIOUS BELIEF is more important than another's? You can say merry Christmas to anyone you want, just the same as someone can say happy Hanukkah, or whatever they celebrate. Why do you feel the need to see Christmas memorabilia plastered everywhere? Is your private celebration of it not enough that you want to drag everyone else into it whether they celebrate it or not? What would you do if a Chinese person that owns your local Walmart, put up decorations for their Chinese holiday so that every time you went in there, it was rubbed in your face? Would you stop shopping there and go someplace else, probably more expensive places? I doubt it. You'd probably complain, or if you yourself wouldn't then another person like yourself would.

I agree that anyone that comes to a new country should follow the legal system of that country, and the legal system takes priority over their personal beliefs. Showing your face in court is a big one that I agree with, but what's the big deal with a turban on a police officer? Does he not wear the rest of the uniform? Unless it is against the law (which I may obviously not be aware of), I don't see the problem. It's a hat. I get that it has another purpose, but so what? Are you worried that he could be a terrorist because he has a turban? Are police officers allowed to wear toques when it's cold, or is that against your ideals? Why do police officers have to follow your religious ideals? They are citizens in this country same as you.

I have zero problems with non-stereotypical natives. Natives who become a part of useful society. It's the stereotypical ones I have a problem with, same with stereotypical black, white, Asian, etc. I guarantee the natives thought the exact same thing centuries ago that you are saying now. Being that everyone in this country is an immigrant, you have no right to hate on other immigrants. Your ancestors forced the same beliefs that you hold so dearly onto the natives that were here before.

If society never changed because of advancements or intolerances, we would still be in the Stone Age. Get over it.

You sir, and your suggestion that there is no Canadian culture, are a huge part of the problem this country is facing. I sincerely hope that your "give it all away to whoever shows up " attitude and mindset is the huge minority. I welcome folks of any culture to become a citizen of Canada, but if you do, your expectation should be you need to change and adapt, not Canada has to change and adapt to make you comfortable. And if you can't, thats great, stay where you are, because, Canada does have a culture and tradition, and I like it. Except for the bleeding heart politically correct grandstanders. You have a nice day, eh.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sir, and your suggestion that there is no Canadian culture, are a huge part of the problem this country is facing. I sincerely hope that your "give it all away to whoever shows up " attitude and mindset is the huge minority. I welcome folks of any culture to become a citizen of Canada, but if you do, your expectation should be you need to change and adapt, not Canada has to change and adapt to make you comfortable. And if you can't, thats great, stay where you are, because, Canada does have a culture and tradition, and I like it. Except for the bleeding heart politically correct grandstanders. You have a nice day, eh.

hmm thinking about what you just said... from what ive seen there has never been one canadain culture, never has never will. as said before this is a country full of immigrants some are now 3rd and 4th generation.

the country is to large and diverse to ever have one "canadian culture" you think canadian culture is what you live in alberta is the same in the yukon, quebec, or the maritimes or even from a small town in alberta to a big city in alberta.... unless you think tim hortons is canadian culture... which is owned by an american comany btw

and further to what you said "give it all away"... well thats what the indians did to your family when they moved here, so your being a bit hypocritical.

i do believe that there should be some form of assimilation when one moves to a country, so people can at least talk to each other and follow the rules already set in that country.

tradition is just a lack of imagination imo

Remoth

Reaction score

So what is Canada's culture? Trapping and seal hunting? Maple syrup production? Poutine? Or is it logging? Oil and gas? Comedy festivals? Canada has an old culture, but nothing that applies to modern society. The more successful a country becomes, the more of a hodgepodge it becomes. It's not what i want to happen, it's just what happens. When did Canada's culture change from the native culture? to what we have now? May I ask what culture and traditions you enjoy on a regular basis?

I agree that the people that are coming to the country should alter themselves based on the country's laws. It sounds like to me what you want is them to turn into Christian conservatives. You can't make people change their beliefs if they are acting within the law. If people keep coming to our country, then our "culture" will no longer stand as majority and the country will have to change, just as it did for us when we came here. All you can do is keep the immigrants out, and if you want to do that, well then you might as well call us the northern USA.

I do not see myself as politically correct. I'm racist, redneck and can be an ass quite often, but if there is one thing I cannot stand, it's someone who believes they and their beliefs are more important than everyone else's.

Remoth

Reaction score
hmm thinking about what you just said... from what ive seen there has never been one canadain culture, never has never will. as said before this is a country full of immigrants some are now 3rd and 4th generation.

the country is to large and diverse to ever have one "canadian culture" you think canadian culture is what you live in alberta is the same in the yukon, quebec, or the maritimes or even from a small town in alberta to a big city in alberta.... unless you think tim hortons is canadian culture... which is owned by an american comany btw

and further to what you said "give it all away"... well thats what the indians did to your family when they moved here, so your being a bit hypocritical.

i do believe that there should be some form of assimilation when one moves to a country, so people can at least talk to each other and follow the rules already set in that country.

tradition is just a lack of imagination imo

Exactly. We are a country of immigrants. I'm mostly Ukrainian. How much of this country is based upon the Ukraine immigrants? How much is French? Etc.

Saying that we should team up with the natives to fight the immigrants is kind of ridiculous. You are basically saying that the natives should team up with the immigrants to fight the immigrants? You don't have to be brilliant to see why that is a joke.

ski-doober

Reaction score
dumb white guy

Attachments

• indian.jpg
    indian.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 103

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You said exactly what I was trying to put I to words in my earlier post. Thank you

Nathansharkey

Reaction score
So what is Canada's culture? Trapping and seal hunting? Maple syrup production? Poutine? Or is it logging? Oil and gas? Comedy festivals? Canada has an old culture, but nothing that applies to modern society. The more successful a country becomes, the more of a hodgepodge it becomes. It's not what i want to happen, it's just what happens. When did Canada's culture change from the native culture? to what we have now? May I ask what culture and traditions you enjoy on a regular basis?

I agree that the people that are coming to the country should alter themselves based on the country's laws. It sounds like to me what you want is them to turn into Christian conservatives. You can't make people change their beliefs if they are acting within the law. If people keep coming to our country, then our "culture" will no longer stand as majority and the country will have to change, just as it did for us when we came here. All you can do is keep the immigrants out, and if you want to do that, well then you might as well call us the northern USA.

I do not see myself as politically correct. I'm racist, redneck and can be an ass quite often, but if there is one thing I cannot stand, it's someone who believes they and their beliefs are more important than everyone else's.

The last sentence that you made is a total contradiction. The funny thing about debates is that all too often, principles, values and morals are muddied by an individual that is well spoken and the philosophy that they introduce is just in a more attractive package that is better presented. You may believe the bullch!t ideals that you have communicated and you may find more peace with yourself and all those that are afraid of offending the minorities. But the substance isn't there and the shine fades and the 3 dollar bill that you are trying to pass off is caught. I am a Canadian. My ancestors came to Canada to find their dreams to enjoy freedom and opportunity. They came here with a mix of nationalities that were all different. The only thing that they had in common were their values. Respect for God, Country, Family and one another. They didn't all celebrate Christmas, but they sure as hell had enough respect to support each others right to celebrate it. The spirit of Christmas is about peace on Earth and giving to one another and an excuse to find forgiveness for each other at least once every year and look forward to the fellowship of one another. Christmas is a part of Canadian culture just like hockey and curling and bacon and cowboy hats and hunting and drinking real beer. Corporations took advantage of our culture and found ways to capitalize on us as consumers. That was never why Christmas was meant to be celebrated. Don't forget that we all have the right to believe what we want to. Including you. I just don't agree that Canada doesn't have culture. That is my right to believe. Which gives me peace to do so.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well a bit off topic but if we're gonna talk about things we can't stand, for me it's no back bone pussies that don't have the stones to stand up for a way of life and future for their kids and families. And if you aren't aware of the traditions and cultural aspects that exist in Canada, Well that's sad, cause they are very obvious and readily accepted asCanadian.

Remoth

Reaction score
Well a bit off topic but if we're gonna talk about things we can't stand, for me it's no back bone pussies that don't have the stones to stand up for a way of life and future for their kids and families. And if you aren't aware of the traditions and cultural aspects that exist in Canada, Well that's sad, cause they are very obvious and readily accepted asCanadian.

Stand up for a way of life? What is to say that whatever way of life we have is the best? Why is it wrong to keep an open mind about possibly improving our way of life? Just because you have a certain something, does not mean it is the best! We see examples of this everyday in the sled chats, and you have the same closed minded people who refuse to believe that there are better sleds out there because they want to believe that is the best. Just because you have had a great sled for 15 years, does not mean you can't better yourself by getting a new one. Why does it make someone a pussy for not standing up for the way of life they were introduced to as a child? Why are you so right for standing up for what you have and I am wrong for wanting to change/better what I have if the opportunity arises?

Btw, calling someone a pussy does not make your argument more valid.

Remoth

Reaction score
The last sentence that you made is a total contradiction. The funny thing about debates is that all too often, principles, values and morals are muddied by an individual that is well spoken and the philosophy that they introduce is just in a more attractive package that is better presented. You may believe the bullch!t ideals that you have communicated and you may find more peace with yourself and all those that are afraid of offending the minorities. But the substance isn't there and the shine fades and the 3 dollar bill that you are trying to pass off is caught. I am a Canadian. My ancestors came to Canada to find their dreams to enjoy freedom and opportunity. They came here with a mix of nationalities that were all different. The only thing that they had in common were their values. Respect for God, Country, Family and one another. They didn't all celebrate Christmas, but they sure as hell had enough respect to support each others right to celebrate it. The spirit of Christmas is about peace on Earth and giving to one another and an excuse to find forgiveness for each other at least once every year and look forward to the fellowship of one another. Christmas is a part of Canadian culture just like hockey and curling and bacon and cowboy hats and hunting and drinking real beer. Corporations took advantage of our culture and found ways to capitalize on us as consumers. That was never why Christmas was meant to be celebrated. Don't forget that we all have the right to believe what we want to. Including you. I just don't agree that Canada doesn't have culture. That is my right to believe. Which gives me peace to do so.

I completely agree with you on the meaning of Christmas, to me it has 0 religious value, but the joy of spending time with the family and friends makes it something not to ignore or let go of. I guess I just don't see the big deal about whether it is considered a part of our culture or not. It does not have to be part of our culture for us to celebrate it, or to be able to wish someone a "merry Christmas". We just need the freedom to do it, which we have. We need to start focusing on the meaning of Christmas and stop worrying on how it looks.

One thing I know about canada is that we are known throughout the world as a progressive/multicultural country. That is part of what we are and part of what makes this a great country. So many people come here to make a better life for themselves because they know they will be accepted. Many come from areas that are poverty stricken and dictator ruled, and many of us as Canadians just don't see how well off we have it and complain about such stupid things such as policemen wearing turbans, what to call our holidays, how doo-laid turns you into a fag, etc. we need to stop worrying about whether people are doing what we want them to and start doing what we want ourselves to do.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly. We are a country of immigrants. I'm mostly Ukrainian. How much of this country is based upon the Ukraine immigrants? How much is French? Etc.

Saying that we should team up with the natives to fight the immigrants is kind of ridiculous. You are basically saying that the natives should team up with the immigrants to fight the immigrants? You don't have to be brilliant to see why that is a joke.

You have the world's largest Easter egg in Vegreville....asking for more than that is just plain greedy.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some well spoken point of views and valid points have been made(IMO). Nothing childish has even developed.
In some way's I feel that we are moving way too slow,but in other way's we are moving way too fast.We dont
have to live in the stone ages but we dont have to change the laws every few months to suit the desires of
our new arrivals.One by one,law's and traditions are being thrown out the window.It's a slippery slope IMO.
Turbins in the RCMP,hat's in the legion,no more singing in schools,cities being taken to court for displaying
merry Xmas on a bus.I don't think that I'm better than anyone else on this planet,but if you fled where you are
from because of murder,rape,war and other horrible things that happen in some places around the globe then
why come here and make us change to suit your views and religious beliefs.
I am way ,way off topic here but this thread has changed course a little.
I don't think in any way whatsoever that the current system is working,between the first nations people and the
white man.Wide spread poverty,alcohol abuse,drug abuse,corruption,ect.,ect. There is a huge list of problems but
a blank check isn't going to solve anything.The whole system needs a overhaul,top to bottom.It doesnt matter how
many more Billions of money that get's spent,the problems stay the same.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some well spoken point of views and valid points have been made(IMO). Nothing childish has even developed.
In some way's I feel that we are moving way too slow,but in other way's we are moving way too fast.We dont
have to live in the stone ages but we dont have to change the laws every few months to suit the desires of
our new arrivals.One by one,law's and traditions are being thrown out the window.It's a slippery slope IMO.
Turbins in the RCMP,hat's in the legion,no more singing in schools,cities being taken to court for displaying
merry Xmas on a bus.I don't think that I'm better than anyone else on this planet,but if you fled where you are
from because of murder,rape,war and other horrible things that happen in some places around the globe then
why come here and make us change to suit your views and religious beliefs.
I am way ,way off topic here but this thread has changed course a little.
I don't think in any way whatsoever that the current system is working,between the first nations people and the
white man.Wide spread poverty,alcohol abuse,drug abuse,corruption,ect.,ect. There is a huge list of problems but
a blank check isn't going to solve anything.The whole system needs a overhaul,top to bottom.It doesnt matter how
many more Billions of money that get's spent,the problems stay the same.

And that is why we tear up the curent agreement,because it is NOT working.!!!
I have one question, if we are all equal , WHY does one race/culture need a special agreement that allows for special treatment, that the other races can not have ?
If we made every one equal ,no one would need an act/treaty or other BS agreement that benifits only one minority!

This train of thought that supports first come ,first served is laugable and full of hypocracy by it`s very nature....If this should of been the case ,why are white people not living in teepee`s and hunting buffalo with spears ?? Should we of not conformed to "FIT IN" But,lol , now we don`t want the "NEW" people to come and "change our way of life ....LMFAO !!

Don`t get me wrong,i am not for turbins or Covered faces/sharia law ETC ETC. That is why it should be updated .No matter when you came here ( lol,we all came from africa one way or another),where ever from,or what race you happen to be, we should ALL be treated the same....P E R I O D.
No treaty`s,acts,agreements etc, live by the laws of our country, pay your own way and treat Canada as your HOME !!!
Sorry and if you dissagree with this (every one treated equal) , i would have to assume you are somewhat racist...IMO.

Last edited:

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get rid of them all everyone should be equal....
Sorry but I think that would be best for every one in Canada.
We don't live in a first come first serve country.imo

IMOP we have a lot of problems in this country... like the posts mentioned above foreign issues are huge...

We should applogize to the natives as we have been doing for the better part of the 80's, 90's and now... they're not accepting it in a lot of case as we have essential ruined them with the reserve system... for a lot of reason... but most of all anytime you give people something for nothing... they learn nothing except ask for more... since we have been brain washed by modern education systems in our University's to believe we are wrong... we continue to pay!! Sad thing is the only people who really seem to benefit are crooked politicans, white lawyers and accountants... Freak!! go to europe and every wanna be canadian over there still thinks we live in the times of the movie "dances with wolves" they think we should give it all back... LMFAO... sure when the roman empire is rebuilt!!! lol... they never like it when I throw that in their face!

only soloution i see is payout... legalize dope use that money to pay them out... make sure each and every Native person gets the money indavidually ... those under 25 shouldn't see a red penny until they turn 25. Hire investment counselors to help them decide what to do... throw in free education for life with deal and be done with it... no more should anyone feel sorry for them or them themselves... we can then all invest on moving forward and getting this country working... for US not for CHINA

but it has to end... we can not go on they way we are currently....
im a beleiver in support your military, invest in education and pay for top quality health care for all canadians.... CPP is nice to! the rest is essential a non essiential service and should be looked at in hard times as place to save money... and yes Indian affairs and Quebec should watch out... get on board or off... it's time to move forward... if Quebec wants to separate so much... buy them boats and sail them back to Europe as Quebec is a Province on CANADA and belongs to all Canadian citzens...

Sorry the whole Quebec thing burns me more then the Native stuff.

as far as "you can't get rid or change treaties" yes you can... it's been done already... don't forget lots of the original treaties said natives couldn't leave the res after 9 pm. Odviously this has changed? Treaties have to be adjusted and modernized... lots of treaties have also been changed for modern times as they were seen as un fair ect...

times have changed... time to change the whole treaty system...

IMOP its time to re write the Charter of Canda too... start a petition to repeal that!!! Not that its bad idea but all the supreme court decisions that have affected it through stupid "interpretation" which through case law become law... need changing... re write that and you can re write everything... it's not the bible we make it out to be... its a piece of paper writen by a lawyer for lawyers and only lawyers understand or can interpret the damb thing... Start there! We need to re write it so that Government can overturn Court decisions if they don't work for the coutry.

sorry for the rant... i got of early and poured a stiff one after work! whiskey no doubt!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with you on the meaning of Christmas, to me it has 0 religious value, but the joy of spending time with the family and friends makes it something not to ignore or let go of. I guess I just don't see the big deal about whether it is considered a part of our culture or not. It does not have to be part of our culture for us to celebrate it, or to be able to wish someone a "merry Christmas". We just need the freedom to do it, which we have. We need to start focusing on the meaning of Christmas and stop worrying on how it looks.

One thing I know about canada is that we are known throughout the world as a progressive/multicultural country. That is part of what we are and part of what makes this a great country. So many people come here to make a better life for themselves because they know they will be accepted. Many come from areas that are poverty stricken and dictator ruled, and many of us as Canadians just don't see how well off we have it and complain about such stupid things such as policemen wearing turbans, what to call our holidays, how doo-laid turns you into a fag, etc. we need to stop worrying about whether people are doing what we want them to and start doing what we want ourselves to do.

I think the Christmas comment wasn't about wanting new cultures to change... it goes way back to one of the orignal post that pointed out there is something wrong with new cultures coming here being accepted but they themselves not being willing to change...then they use our own laws against us...cause we are such a bleeding heart left wing society they complain about us saying Merry Christmas cause it offends them and their religion. And we the stupid people of Canada actually listen... im done listening... to those cultures I do not appolgize to! I do appoligize to Natives for what's happened... many many years ago before i was born, before my grandparents were born... they were wronged... I agree and I hear that... let's fix that and move forward! I am not worried about what I have to pay but what will my kids and their kids have to pay! Thats what I care about! Fix it and move on for everyone's sake! I beleive dealing with it will help repair Natives and give them their Pride they want so much to have back... they have a very interesting culture that belongs in canada and can be learned from... in the old ways... but they are just that, the old ways... im tired of trying to give it all back... it wont work! Pay out! Help out and a cut off date... whatever that may be ! Odviously negotiated!

If we don't find a way to bring most of canadians in as one.... where will be in 50 years? To the natives out there do you think if Quebec seperates they will care about your treaties??????? What happens to the rest of the country... it breaks apart to i bet... when the provinces make different countries what happens to Native treaties then?

Quebec seperation is the greatest threat we as Canadians face today... IMHOP

Top Bottom