Performance Chip for 1500 Sierra 5.3L

schickdecision

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a performance chip for my 07 Sierra Classic. It has the 5.3L in it and pulls my trailer alright but I wouldn't mind the extra power and fuel economy. I'm currently looking at the Superchips Cortex but am willing to hear what everybody has to say about the other ones available on the market. Any feed back would be great!

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a Air aid intake and throttle spacer in first before the chip.Then put the chip in. my 2cents

Attachments

• prod_intakes.jpg
    prod_intakes.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 208
  • prod_tbs.jpg
    prod_tbs.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not going to see a noticable differance with a gas chip.

the hypertech one is better IMO gets better reveiws and you might feel a little differance with it.

havent heard to many good things about the superchips tuner.

Hypertech, Inc.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a Air aid intake and throttle spacer in first before the chip.Then put the chip in. my 2cents

very true, get it flowing a little better first.

i have an airaid on my 5.9 gas and it really helps.

maybe an exhaust system aswell.

i cant remember the name of the guy but he makes custom throttle bodys for some of those engines with a bigger bore for better flow aswell. ill try and find it.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That too bad, seeing as throttle body spacers are only good for throttle body injection and not UNIT injectors,.. they are a gimmick for today's vehicles. They make better door stops versus any performance you will see by using them.

I have used Superchips on my hemi, and a coworker used one on his 6.0L GM and both worked flawlessly.

My advice start with free flow exhaust, then go from there.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes!! Go with an exhaust, I went on my 05 GM 5.3L flow pro and removed my cats I had to put a resinator in order to remove the drone at 2000 to 3000 rpm. More power and fuel economy truck sounds great 3 of my buddys have done the samething.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes!! Go with an exhaust, I went on my 05 GM 5.3L flow pro and removed my cats I had to put a resinator in order to remove the drone at 2000 to 3000 rpm. More power and fuel economy truck sounds great 3 of my buddys have done the samething.

How much for a system like that? I have an 07 classic and would like to get a little more power out of it as well. My idea was just like any other machine, the better it breathes the better it runs.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:dI got a buddy with a muffler shop. For me it was cheep $300.(we both ride DOO's) but I sent another buddy to get his 05 done it was $450(he rides a cat) The noise on the outside is not bad at all and in the cab is again not bad

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride DOO as well so will i get a deal??:d That sounds like a pretty good price. In Lloydminster they want close to $700 for single cat back. I'm not sure what brand.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a hypertech chip in my truck with the exhaust and intake i like the power gains by each but im modifying my exhaust to have no muffler just a cat maybe 2 db louder.

I got the most performance out of the premium setting and with an empty truck i got 2-3 mpg gain

schickdecision

Reaction score
I ended up getting an Airaid Stage 2 Air intake and a Superchips Cortex tuner and I am quite impressed with the change in the engine just by doing the air intake. I tried out the Tuner without the intake and didn't notice as much of a change but I like how I can tune pretty much every part of my engine and transmission. You can also update the tuner and get the mileage XS program which I am very interested to try here eventually. Setup was easy and tuning is even easier. What a difference the intake makes though. That is where I noticed the most! A lot more go! Thanks for all the input guys!

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the cold air intake on my 05 GMC 5.3L then pulled my 24ft trailer to the southern B.C. I noticed more power right a way 1445km on $160.00 of propane, The trailer is 6000lbs dry. The traffic is insane here from Vernon south to Summerland.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:dI just got back from Red Deer AB and had Cam from Lightspeed reprogramed my computer on my 5.3L 05 GM. I got a great boost in power I would say 15 to 20 % more. The shift pattern was noticeable the fuel economy great 19.4mpg now 20.5 mpg. I drove back today and it was good I will keep you guys posted.

Top Bottom