People and pets.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dane sits in the cab with me. head out the window no matter what speed. loves it.

I wanna see a picture of your Dane... PulleAse !! We have one also who is relatively new to us and I am totally in love with my "Velcro dog"...

Our dog rides in the truck, laying on the whhhhhooooollllle seat and looking rather cheesed off about it ;)

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanna see a picture of your Dane... PulleAse !! We have one also who is relatively new to us and I am totally in love with my "Velcro dog"...

Our dog rides in the truck, laying on the whhhhhooooollllle seat and looking rather cheesed off about it ;)

hope this works.......and it did....velcro dog is right....has to be within inches at all times....as you can see in pic 2 with my parents

Attachments

• vern 1.jpg
    vern 1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 123
  • vern 2.jpg
    vern 2.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 119
  • vern3.jpg
    vern3.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey malibumama, one trick is to get one of those little bottles shaped like a lemon full of lemon juice. and when the dog starts to bark or whine when un wanted give it a littler squirt in their mouth, they really hate lemon juice should help that problem. hopefully :) its a trick we use when we get a new puppie that likes to bark. just a quick shot and they usually stop.
hope this helps if it doesnt let me know :)

Also... Reward quiet behavior quickly and efficiently every time. We also have a very anxious Dane who was abandoned for countless hours in a crate and now has major anxiety issues, so we are working through this with a trainer. According to her: Ignoring the behavior helps extinguish it... As they get no attention and no reward. Don't even look at or speak to the dog: not even to say "shut up"! Even your voice is a reward, even when you are mad. (Be sure to reward the minute you get quiet behavior)

And, a tired dog is a quiet dog-- lots of exercise!! This is hard with huskies as they seem to have an endless supply.

When you want quiet time supply a toy- a Kong that has been frozen with peanut butter in it keeps them licking for hours. A big bone. I freeze beef stock in margarine containers and put treats in it- they have to concentrate to get it out. During these periods, try to stay busy around the dog but don't interact with it: go in and out of the room... At first you should come back fairly quickly so they see you aren't leaving them. As the dog gets more comfortable you can lengthen this time.

We have certainly found that the whining has lessened as Zoey gains confidence that she is part of a forever family. Stay in the dominant position, be consistent and always ask for good manners from your dog an reward them. Dogs that know the boundaries and what to expect from you are confident and QUIET dogs ;)

And be patient... All will be well and then hormones will kick in and something will change that results in a bad day. Just smile and roll with it ...

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Put a radio out in her pen with her, just loud enough so that she can hear it. We did that with our golden retriever when she was a pup and we left her in the run, she never uttered a peep.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hope this works.......and it did....velcro dog is right....has to be within inches at all times....as you can see in pic 2 with my parents

Crazy! Your Dane has identical markings to Zoey!! Zoey is still a puppy, so her head is still thinner and she doesn't have the square looking nose/jaw yet.

How much do you love the "lean" whenever they get close to you... Or the backing of their ass onto a couch to sit down ?!? So fricken funny!! Mine is a lap dog :)
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/Sledmamma/b7f96fe5.jpg

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy! Your Dane has identical markings to Zoey!! Zoey is still a puppy, so her head is still thinner and she doesn't have the square looking nose/jaw yet.

How much do you love the "lean" whenever they get close to you... Or the backing of their ass onto a couch to sit down ?!? So fricken funny!! Mine is a lap dog :)
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/Sledmamma/b7f96fe5.jpg

They do look very similiar. He's only a year and a half as well. He actually does the sit/stand on my lap all the time. Makes him happy and me laugh. And he only puts some of his weight on me so its all good. Only time I have issues is at family functions when he leans to hard against the elderly....haha

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do look very similiar. He's only a year and a half as well. He actually does the sit/stand on my lap all the time. Makes him happy and me laugh. And he only puts some of his weight on me so its all good. Only time I have issues is at family functions when he leans to hard against the elderly....haha

I find that Zoey is a hazard amidst small children- she doesn't understand that she cannot sit on them. She also doesnt see below shoulder height because she is always focussed on the horizon, which leads to her walking straight into cement abutments, small trees, rocks, and unfortunately... Toddlers. Im hoping she grows out of it ;)

What are you feeding Vern for food- we are struggling with her thinness?? She just had a spay and gastropexy and her recovery has been slow going and she has lost more weight... Yikes!!

Last edited:

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find that Zoey is a hazard amidst small children- she doesn't understand that she cannot sit on them. She also doesnt see below shoulder height because she is always focussed on the horizon, which leads to her walking straight into cement abutments, small trees, rocks, and unfortunately... Toddlers. Im hoping she grows out of it ;)

What are you feeding Vern for food- we are struggling with her thinness?? She just had a spay and gastropexy and her recovery has been slow going and she has lost more weight... Yikes!!

Horizon complete adult large breed. About 10 cups a day plus treats. He also has 2 spoonfuls of activa yogurt in each bowl of food which helps with weight and mostly yeast based ear infections which they are prone to. Works like a charm. No infections since I started that. Got em like crazy before.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Horizon complete adult large breed. About 10 cups a day plus treats. He also has 2 spoonfuls of activa yogurt in each bowl of food which helps with weight and mostly yeast based ear infections which they are prone to. Works like a charm. No infections since I started that. Got em like crazy before.

Thanks!! Zoey had her ears flushed during her surgery as she had an ear infection and she got wise to the drops. She would do the liquid-Dane maneuver and slide away from me. I even stayed up half of the night trying to sneak them while she was sleeping. It's been a week and I see her scratching her right ear again. It may just be itchy from her new tattoo... But it looks like it may be getting goopy again. I will definitely try the yogurt. If anything it should help with her sensitive stomach.

We did have her on Blue Buffalo grain free to the tune of $70/bag, but she was throwing it up in undigested heaps on the shop floor?? Now she is on Nature's Domain, which she loves, but I can't get weight on her and she eats 12 cups a day and her many treats... Sigh.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks!! Zoey had her ears flushed during her surgery as she had an ear infection and she got wise to the drops. She would do the liquid-Dane maneuver and slide away from me. I even stayed up half of the night trying to sneak them while she was sleeping. It's been a week and I see her scratching her right ear again. It may just be itchy from her new tattoo... But it looks like it may be getting goopy again. I will definitely try the yogurt. If anything it should help with her sensitive stomach.

We did have her on Blue Buffalo grain free to the tune of $70/bag, but she was throwing it up in undigested heaps on the shop floor?? Now she is on Nature's Domain, which she loves, but I can't get weight on her and she eats 12 cups a day and her many treats... Sigh.

For ear infections and ear cleaning I use a home remedy I got from my vet. Works really good and doesn't dry ears out. 1/3 99 percent rubbing alchohol.1/3 apple cider vinegar. 1/3 aloe water. I just use a small suringe ( 5 ml) in each ear, rub it it, let shake out then clean with cotton balls. Kills bacteria, easy on ears and cleans out wax really good. As far as food make sure it has a crude protein over 25 percent. Important for weight and bone development which the breed has problems with for the first couple years. Hope this isn't coming off to "preachy". Haha

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All pets should be spoiled. :)
Our Pom and yorky go everywhere with us. They love going in the vehicle and camping.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For ear infections and ear cleaning I use a home remedy I got from my vet. Works really good and doesn't dry ears out. 1/3 99 percent rubbing alchohol.1/3 apple cider vinegar. 1/3 aloe water. I just use a small suringe ( 5 ml) in each ear, rub it it, let shake out then clean with cotton balls. Kills bacteria, easy on ears and cleans out wax really good. As far as food make sure it has a crude protein over 25 percent. Important for weight and bone development which the breed has problems with for the first couple years. Hope this isn't coming off to "preachy". Haha

All pets should be spoiled. :)
Our Pom and yorky go everywhere with us. They love going in the vehicle and camping.

d mills: not preachy at all. Anything helps at this point. Zoey is challenging all we know about dogs, for sure. Funny about the protein: we were told less than 25% otherwise they grow too fast and risk HOD/Wobbler's syndrome?? I have joined an online Danes Forum and I have got more information from you than all the Dane-Snobs on an entire forum!! Thank you :)

Arff: I agree that all pets should be spoiled. They are optional in our lives, so why would we choose to have a pet just so we can ignore it and treat it badly? ALL of my dogs are spoiled. So is my husband. And my kids. **SIGH**

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
d mills: not preachy at all. Anything helps at this point. Zoey is challenging all we know about dogs, for sure. Funny about the protein: we were told less than 25% otherwise they grow too fast and risk HOD/Wobbler's syndrome?? I have joined an online Danes Forum and I have got more information from you than all the Dane-Snobs on an entire forum!! Thank you :)

Arff: I agree that all pets should be spoiled. They are optional in our lives, so why would we choose to have a pet just so we can ignore it and treat it badly? ALL of my dogs are spoiled. So is my husband. And my kids. **SIGH**

We are spoiling our dogs while we wait for grand kids.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got no dogs, but the cat gets mad when you leave him at home. He loves to travel with us. (never in the box of the truck though). And yes he is spoiled silly. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340771071.564266.jpg

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That is true. i forgot about zoey being so young. sorry. not trying to lead you astray. vern didnt get the higher protein till he was a year old. his puppy food was 23 percent and his big boy food is 28.

Top Bottom