pDrive Clutch

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this clutch..however, the existing TRA could be substantially better if Doo went back to making the existing parts where they were made 10 years ago. Everything inside that clutch seems to last less and less every year, especially if you compare it to parts that were made prior to 07.

I'm curious to see how a roller TRA would work compared to a button TRA.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure someone will be buying one of these and trying it on a mountain sled. It will be interesting to see how it performs.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old race clutch never made it to the other sleds for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
What old race clutch?
In the 60's Ski doo used a comet clutch on their race sled, is that the old clutch?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he is talking about last years version on the 600RS. That clutch however has proven to be not only reliable but belt temps run way cooler because of the design. Daryl at Racers Edge has sold a ton of those the past 5-7 years to mod applications with zero complaints.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is there any truth to the idea that running a lighter primary is going to cause crank issues?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I asked a very reliable source that works/races for BRP about putting a race clutch on my sled, he told me don't do it if you keep your sled for a long time.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
d721d46fb785690db390b8d81882af4c.jpg

Primary Race Clutch

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is there any truth to the idea that running a lighter primary is going to cause crank issues?
I ran a powerbloc 80 clutch from CV tech on my big bore for 3 season. that clutch is 3.5lbs lighter than the TRA, and slightly lighter than the race TRA. never had a single issue. it seems there are quit a few people also running P-85 clutchs on skidoo motors with no problems.

kidinloghouse

Reaction score
the brp race clutch isnt any lighter than the current clutch on your etecs, the only real weight savings is it doesnt have the ring gear, and the inner sheave may be a bit lighter. but the outer sheave weighs the same. the reason they run cooler and appear to spool up quicker is because the taper on the sheaves is different, giving it a lower ratio. meaning more mechanical advantage.

kidinloghouse

Reaction score
i have weighed both, outer sheave and outer sheave, with and with out spring and cup and there was only a couple grams difference. thats why i figured any weight savings was from the lack of a ring gear and i know for a fact they are different tapers.
the only real benefit i see is its a splined clutch so you dont have to pull the whole clutch to weight it or clean it. and that means less dents in the concrete from slamming the puller into the floor upside down to separate the two sheaves. but maybe later when i have time i'll knock the clutch off my rs and weigh it complete and weight the clutch on my freeride. but for over a $1000 bucks and what i would assume is minimal gains is it really worth it??

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
I have only used the P-85 on my last three sleds, and the main reason I choose that clutch over the TRA was the responsiveness when needed in tough tight terrain and RPM stability at various altitudes and load conditions. That would be about 14,000km.
The reason for the intense interest in the new pDrive clutch is the application to the mountain environment where the TRA is a constant battle to maintain RPM and a constant supply of belts.

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
BRP has a Skidoo Gear Tester program, so I wonder who we could talk to get the pDrive added to the list?
The pDrive needs some mountain punishment before we know if this is the next great leap forward by BR in mountain riding technology.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have a few mtn guys on payroll that have probably been testing it out west

Top Bottom