Park Brake Light Staying On

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 pro 163, rode all day fine, but when we were ready to head down the trail to the trucks my Red Park brake light was staying on in the dash. Brake light at the rear of the sled was not on (just tail light) Brake light came on ok when brake lever was squezed. But the light in the dash was on all the time.

Anyone have any Ideas?

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 pro 163, rode all day fine, but when we were ready to head down the trail to the trucks my Red Park brake light was staying on in the dash. Brake light at the rear of the sled was not on (just tail light) Brake light came on ok when brake lever was squezed. But the light in the dash was on all the time.

Anyone have any Ideas?
Happened to me last year, and had it in to the dealer to take a look at it. All it means is that you've had a really good day riding in deep snow. Snow gets into the brakes and for some reason it thinks that the brakes are on. If you get down the mountain further and it gets warmer, the snow generally melts and it goes away. It doesn't mean the brakes are staying on, which is what I was worried about, just the light.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I was chalking it up to, it went out before I got to the truck, the thing I was wondering about is this. the light in the dash only comes on when the brake lever is pressed, right? So, if its on, then shouldn't the brake light at the back of the sled also be on? When it was doing this, If you squeezed the lever the brake light would come on and go off.

in any case, I do think its a moisture issue, just not sure where the problem would lie. I don't think its in the brake lever switch. Maybe inside the cluster?

Or do these sleds have a separate switch the the cluster display and tail light?

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this relates to your issue or not, but the brake light on my wife's 07/600 was staying on and it turned out to be a wire running through the tube on the tunnel to the tail light shorting out.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 12 does it all the time, couple others i ride with also. seems like something gets wet. next morning it will be off again. on the '13's thats your change driveshaft light! lol

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The brake light will work off a relay/switch where your brake lever is. The brake light on the dash is sensed from pressure on your calliper. Get some snow and ice in there and it could trip the switch on the calliper. Happens to me all the time.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The brake light will work off a relay/switch where your brake lever is. The brake light on the dash is sensed from pressure on your calliper. Get some snow and ice in there and it could trip the switch on the calliper. Happens to me all the time.

Thank You!

Brake rotor was not getting hot coming down the trail so it must be just in the switch in the caliper

burny77

Reaction score
I am Having the exact same problem on a 2011 Assault. Came on coming down the trail last year and chalked it up to moisture issue. Its been sitting in my garage (heated) since last april and went to fire it up yesterday to get ready to head west and the damn light is still on. Only the dash light not the brake itself. Fluid is fine, brakes are good and no shorted wires that i can see. PLEASE HELP, it drives me nuts looking at it. The dealer told me to try unplugging the ecm. Will that screw anything else up??

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am Having the exact same problem on a 2011 Assault. Came on coming down the trail last year and chalked it up to moisture issue. Its been sitting in my garage (heated) since last april and went to fire it up yesterday to get ready to head west and the damn light is still on. Only the dash light not the brake itself. Fluid is fine, brakes are good and no shorted wires that i can see. PLEASE HELP, it drives me nuts looking at it. The dealer told me to try unplugging the ecm. Will that screw anything else up??

Try using a screwdriver and prying the brake pads apart, If there IS a pressure switch in the caliper like dragontamer said then you should be able to play with the caliper and get it to go off. At least then it'll narrow it down a bit.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just started having this issue, rode all day yesterday with no problem, went to unload off the trailer tonite and the brake light is on in the cluster except for the actual brake light is on, when you pull the brake lever the brake light goes out and its just the tail light. thinking something is iced up, let it thaw out and see what happens

burny77

Reaction score
Found the problem!! Its the brake light switch that is located right behind the brake lever. Thanks for the posts guys!!

burny77

Reaction score
Yes I replaced it. The cost is $60 from the polaris dealer. They best way to tell if yours is any good or not is put your ear up to the brake and listen for a clicking noise when you press the brake. If you dont hear that, it needs to be replaced.

bonesy

Reaction score
My '12 has been doing the same w the dash light indicator on. I also thought moisture issue, however going to check for air in the system. Will bleed the brakes and see if it changes

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This just happened to me the other month. Left on flat deck over night, unloaded next morning to the light on all day. Just statrted it today after being in the heated garage all month and still on.

If it is that switch, what would cause it to fault ?

Top Bottom