Painting vinyl

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone paint vinyl before with good results? Picked up an XM seat for my XP but its yellow and doesn't really go with the black and flouresent orange theme I have going on. I can paint the back/storage plastic area but not sure about the sides of the seat in yellow. Or may just run it as a clown sled, lol

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or anyone with a black xm seat wanna trade for a yellow one to accent your sled?

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple companies make penetrating vinyl dye. I've used VHT on an old dash pad, but not sure how well it would work on the really flexible seat panels. I'd still be worried about it cracking and looking like puke over time.

VHT Vinyl Dye?

Might be stuck taking your seat to an upholstery shop to get the yellow panels replaced.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used vinyl dye in a spray can from crappy tire to get rid of red on my 40th anniversary seat and it held out good for the season till I went to a skinz cover. Also have used it to put the black into faded cloth materials and also has been on my gerry cans before. Maybe not the best results but its 10 bucks

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Painting vinyl won't work. You need to dye it with RIT dye (the best but will dye your hands, cloths etc so be careful if you use this stuff) or as mentioned, take it to an upholstery place and have them swap it out. I would get a quote from a shop first, you might be surprised how cheap it might be compared to dying it and dealing with the hassle.

Or you can hit it with a sharpie marker.... :)

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call Fibrenew Edmonton south. They are a mobile service that repair and dye all kinds of materials. I just had them do my wife's sled seat all black that had a bunch of cat green on it. Looks perfect and 100% stock also guarnteed to last. Great service!!!!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Call Fibrenew Edmonton south. They are a mobile service that repair and dye all kinds of materials. I just had them do my wife's sled seat all black that had a bunch of cat green on it. Looks perfect and 100% stock also guarnteed to last. Great service!!!!
Mind if I ask what you paid for it, may have a seat that needs some dye.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can paint em for 2$,, My friend did on his XP looks good. Just have to repaint once in a while. Kinda rubs off over time...

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Called Don from Fibrenew, great to deal with but he said from the pics I sent that it would be close to the $200 mark if not over just due to the amount of work.

Top Bottom