Painting sled deck

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im looking to paint my sled deck and just wondering if anyone has anyone has any tricks or tips , type of paint and gun?? basically start to finish ... lol i have never painted anything other then with spray bomb ... i want to just go a flat black !!! ( shiny sucks)

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should find out what my rails are painted with on my pro, they are not powdercoat they are painted. nice a glossy and seems durable.

motorheadracing

Reaction score
Hey guys im looking to paint my sled deck and just wondering if anyone has anyone has any tricks or tips , type of paint and gun?? basically start to finish ... lol i have never painted anything other then with spray bomb ... i want to just go a flat black !!! ( shiny sucks)

I rolled mine with a white exterior tremclad paint to match my truck and I think it looks great. It was a very inexpensive way to spruce it up. It has been 2 years since I last painted it and it still looks thick and new. The trick is, like any painting Job is to spend the time on prep work. I did all of mine with an angle grinder and sanding disks, finishing off with a fine grit paper and a palm sander. Because I did it without removing the deck from my truck, I only painted the deck rails to match the truck. It has a simular "appearance" to a powder coat finish and seems to be lasting to some minor strap abuse.
I can post a pic..
Cheers

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah everything i have found it says a good job is all in the prep work .... looks like i have a day of prepping and the only other thing i have found out is i need to use a etching primer

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should find out what my rails are painted with on my pro, they are not powdercoat they are painted. nice a glossy and seems durable.

if you do find out what the paint it that would be awesome cause i havent figured out with kinda paint to use .... so far i was thinking endura but i have heard its tricky stuff to use

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give Endura paints on the west end a call, they'll hooj you up, stuff aint cheap but does last if done properly, keep in mind it will still chip with road debris over time.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Endura would be the cheapest. Clean with soap and water , then a wax and grease remover Finish sand with 500 on a DA sander. Mask off what you need to and spray the sealer let it flash off and spray a couple coats of color

Endura is very strong smelling paint. I would recommend fresh air mask and a booth or some sort of ventilation.
And it used to be 1/1 mix or 50%paint -50% activator.
Tremclad Is also decent. Flat black or what ever color you want

Sent from my phone

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're going to go to the trouble of painting it, your best bet would be an Epoxy/Urethane system. Tnemec Series 61 epoxy primer, and Tnemec Series 73 urethane top coat. Kind of a hassle though, as they're a solvent based, plural component coating. The easiest would be gravel guard....I've done a couple decks with it...goes on nice and easy, and looks good. Aside from the odd mechanic abrasion, it holds up really well.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about one of those do it yourself bed liner kits? I have a brand new Gator Guard kit sitting in my garage I would like to get rid of, $40, was over $50 new

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Painting aluminum the boat boys acidize first and aladine before any primer.
Have helped them and they said paint will not stick with out doing it.
Painted with endura.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Painting aluminum the boat boys acidize first and aladine before any primer.
Have helped them and they said paint will not stick with out doing it.
Painted with endura.

X2..............

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I was kinda wondering about that as well. But when we paint aluminum on vehicles it's the same process as steel but they're not submerged in water either
I will ask the paint reps when they're here next.

Sent from my phone

Last edited:

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is starting to sound like a lot of work maybe ill just pay some kid to polish it again

Top Bottom