Outty Out of Order

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I went out to fire up my outty yesterday, so I turn on the key and listen and look for the fuel pump and display to come on, and nothing happens. HHmm? So I pull the battery out and fully charge it on the charger. I cleaned up all cables and posts on the solenoid and battery. Still nothing. The only thing I notice is that when I turn on the key or kill switch, I can hear the relay click. Does that mean there is a problem coming into the relay? I tried trading relays and the same thing happens. It is the main relay. I can't remember if that is what it is called. I noticed the solenoid isn't in very good shape, but I don't know if that would cause it to have no power at the display and fuel pump. I checked all fuses front and back. Anyone ever had this problem? I plan on tearing her apart to find the problem, but would like to narrow my search. Please help...thank you! :beer:

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had 2 friends have this happen to them and it was actually the computer in the pod on the handlbars fried on both of them. they get moisture in them and then there pooched.

but i hope for your sake its just a relay somewhere. :)

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have a fuse box near the battery, and a couple of inline fuse's. I would check there first before looking at relay's.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

Attachments

• photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 221

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The easiest way to check a relay is to remove it and bypass it with a jumper. If the components then work, replace the relay. See illustration to find out where to bypass the relay.

The Relay R1 (cooling fan) is the picture I did not post, this is the lower R2 (main relay). Most likely its the fuses at the back by the battery. I ended up removing mine and replacing with a different fuse box at the back, too much corrosion.

Attachments

• photo10.jpg
    photo10.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

snow_farmer

Reaction score
If all your fuses are good, check your key. It sounds like the same problem as what I had. I replaced so many electrical parts thinking they were the problem and in the end it ended up being a small crack in the metallic strip (magnetic or whatever it is) on the key. Its a cheap 40-50 dollar fix but you gotta take the quad in to get a new key programmed, which is a pain in the ass.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I checked all the fuses that day, front and back and they all looked good. I also tried my spare key, which is brand new. Hey quadtrash, you said something about inline fuses? Does anyone where they are located? I found the ones by the battery and the fuse box, but that is all. I have heard of the wires coming apart under the fuse box, which is where I was thinking of looking first. I haven't heard anything about the computers frying...but I can see it being something like that. I will tinker today and if I don't find what I am looking for, I will call the dealer to see if they have an idea. I might just have to change the solenoid. Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure its the right outty key. i had two outlanders. put one key in the other and the dispaly lights up, says hello" so and so" and then fuel pump comes on but no start.

Also i once used the key to open a box one time( slit the tape) some tape got stuck to where the microchip is on the key and it wouldn't start because of the tape betwen the key and ignition sensor. only way it would start is to giggle the key and try the start button.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried the esd switch as well and that was when I could hear the relay clicking. I'll get it apart and see what I can find. Damn electronics!

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I talked to the mechanic at my dealer and he said that the tape they used on the wiring coming into the fuse box on the front end is crap, so I pulled the fuse box out and sure as hell, the wires were rotted right out. Rewired and running again! Now I am waiting for bumper to bumper to get me some liquid electrical tape to seal up all the open wiring under there.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I talked to the mechanic at my dealer and he said that the tape they used on the wiring coming into the fuse box on the front end is crap, so I pulled the fuse box out and sure as hell, the wires were rotted right out. Rewired and running again! Now I am waiting for bumper to bumper to get me some liquid electrical tape to seal up all the open wiring under there.
good to hear you found the problem, sounds like the same deal as rknight's machine....I wonder if something electrical is up with my '04 400 outtie, it has been giving me some grief lately. starts and runs fine and will all of a sudden quit, let it sit for a bit and it fires up again and goes. when it dies going at speed and you give it throttle it backfires....like someone is turning the kill switch on briefly and back off again....hmmm. I thought it was a fuel issue and tore the whole fuel system apart and cleaned it all, carb, pump, on/res switch, new lines, emptied and rinsed the fuel tank....did the same thing 10 minutes later. maybe I'll start looking at the electrical

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good to hear you found the problem, sounds like the same deal as rknight's machine....I wonder if something electrical is up with my '04 400 outtie, it has been giving me some grief lately. starts and runs fine and will all of a sudden quit, let it sit for a bit and it fires up again and goes. when it dies going at speed and you give it throttle it backfires....like someone is turning the kill switch on briefly and back off again....hmmm. I thought it was a fuel issue and tore the whole fuel system apart and cleaned it all, carb, pump, on/res switch, new lines, emptied and rinsed the fuel tank....did the same thing 10 minutes later. maybe I'll start looking at the electrical
I'm not sure if the 400's are the same, but I would definately check out the wiring under the fuse box.

Top Bottom