Opinions on Suzuki DRZ400?

shawn.t

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Didnt know whether to post this in the dirt bike or street section so here it is. Does anybody have any experience with Suzuki DRZ400s? How reliable are they? Ease of maintenance? How well do they handle in the bush? Just trying to decide whether or not it would be a good choice for me to buy one. Nothing sounds better than dirt biking around town with no hassle from cops :rolleyes:

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
Reliable as a hammer, easy to service, starts great, quiet (stock), comfortable around town. Now the bad news, if you are looking for a trail charger look elsewhere. Great on fire roads, open smooth stuff but it isn't an MX bike with street stuff. Best street legal trail bike is the KTM. Pricey but damn is it sweet in the dirt.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in SM mode:

drzsm1.jpg

in dirt mode:

DRZ400forsale.jpg

what mx oldtimer said is near bang on. i dont think there is a bike out there that is more reliable. buddy of mine had one too. just cant kill em. servicing is easy too. here is what i did to add to the fun factor.

3"x3" air box hole mod. header. baffled bored. gearing swap. it was a whole different animal after the mods. could BARELY wheelie in stock form. wheelie like a champ 1-3 after mods.
this isnt a single track bike...it can be done and i had taken it through some pretty tight ch!t and climbed some decent hills...BUT it was a chore.

i actually miss my ol bike. turned alot of heads. i wrecked pretty bad on it in front of my ol lady too. indian larry on gravel= pain. broke my left elbow, tore the ligaments in my right wrist and a nasty road rash scar.
i only ran the yosh header for 1 week before...lol. dented it to ch!t, put stocker back on and sold it. (didnt know abou tthe freezer mod then)

after some convincing...im now riding this:

2012-04-21141706.jpg

CRF450R

shawn.t

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks everyone! Himark, that is one of the nicest looking drz's ive seen, and the CRF looks pretty sharp too! I think I might get a 400SM either in the fall or next spring, then pick up some used dirt wheels on kijiji. Is that just cut cans on your shock resevoirs or stickers? looks pretty cool haha

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Himark, that is one of the nicest looking drz's ive seen, and the CRF looks pretty sharp too! I think I might get a 400SM either in the fall or next spring, then pick up some used dirt wheels on kijiji. Is that just cut cans on your shock resevoirs or stickers? looks pretty cool haha

cut redbull cans...lol. good eye! been doing that for years. i first seen it in 98 i think...on a yz 125 this kid had. but he had a labatts blue can..lol. been doin it since

as for the SM...man what a fun bike. i had more fun on that thing than my ol r6 and all the dirt bikes! stoppies and wheelies and just the look on others faces. i remember when i first brought it out to GP. i had rednecks making fun of me. asking why on earth i would put street tires on a dirt bike..lol. they never got it. cops didnt like it either, never got a ticket but was pulled over a few times to make sure it was street legal.

btw..thanks for the compliments! it is nothing compared to some others out there. check out thumpertalk.com. your eyes will be bulging outta your head!

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always loved mine :)

geezus...you ride bikes too?! right on! your a damn cool chick! trying to get the better half to get into biking too. well...not on the 450 this year...haha. its an animal!

Top Bottom