opinions on Quads...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am looking for your opinions on newer utility class quads as I am in the market for one. Sure I would love to have a new Renegade 800x but I don't think it would be the best for my situation or my wallet.

For the most part I enjoy on and off trail riding and usually take the girlfriend along. I don't like the Outlander Max's because of the extra wheel base length and the cost but would like to hear if anyone has good things to say about them. I have experiences with the Suzuki KingQuad 700's, Grizzly 660and a weekend with an ArticCat 700. I found the Suzuki and ArticCat to be underpowered, I believe its the same engine? It lacked some low end power and I was surprised by that, maybe it is the gearing? I really enjoyed the Yamaha and found the power to be readily available when I needed it and have taken it into some pretty remote areas and never worried about not getting home. I do like having the differential lock and IRS but assume all newer quads have that.

I do not have any experience with the Polaris quads other than riding with people who own them and love them. I was recently looking at an 07 Sportsman 800 which fit into my price range. I am curious how people find the AWD for steering on a long day. Any down sides to a Polaris?

Any info on the motors and transmissions...the Outlander 800 v-twins vs. the Polaris v-twins? How does the Yamaha 660/700's compare to both of them?

Any real downside to the regular maitenance of any of these? I haven't mentioned the Honda's...and honestly I just don't as many around in the bigger class...Honda guys will likely say they don't need the bigger engines?

Sorry for a long winded post but there is so much to say and ask about these machines and I want to be informed!

Thanks

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your lookin for best bang for your buck Most HP per $$$ I would look at the 750 brute. Or the 700 grizz there pretty sweet machines they cost more both seem to be pretty tuff, the only thing i dont like about my brute is how the 4x4 engages. BUt she gets up and gose . Im personsaly am not sold on the Cam ams I dont like there frames or visco lock.

AC4life

Reaction score
if you want dependabilty a brute is NOT the way to go. Just my opinion. I have owned a brute and it was nothing but problems once you got a few miles on it...but the v-twin power is sure nice :) I now own a 750 KQ and it has been great. Dont have many kms on it yet (900) but it has been awesome. I put a dalton clutch kit on it and a velocity ECU and it will go ANYWHERE any other bike will. Good luck finding what you want...

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rode Polaris most of my life. Nice riding quads, but the lower placement of the rad sucks in the mud. They get jammed full of mud in the first hole you hit, and overheat the rest of the ride. I ride an Outlander 800 XT now, and would never go with anything else. You will pay a little more for them, but they are worth it. The ride is awesome, and the power is uncomparable by anything else out there, high gear wheelies rock. I hear about the frame issues, but a few hundred dollars worth of skid plates will set your mind at ease. The best machine out there is the one you feel most comfortable on, and my ass fits great on my Outtie.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't like the Outty Max, why not just get the regular Outlander? Isn't the max only 6-9" longer wheelbase anyhow?

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reliablitity is all in how you ride your machine I belive, I got just over 4000km on mine now. I did blow a front diff but that had something to do with 29.5s and WFO in 4x4. Nothing else on this machine has ever let me down and I ride it way harder then my old 500 foreman and the brute seems to be standing up better.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do some internet research.

quads you might want to look at ..

the new 750 Suzuki .. - heard when chipped these have more than enough jam and stock are pretty potent.

the new 850 Polaris.. power steering new frame setup new motor new everything.. no more struts. ect.. big changes

the 800 outy.. good all around quad , only complaints ive heard is visco and some frame issue that many say is helped with skid plates.. something i recommend for any atv anyways.

700 MudPro From Arctic Cat... thing is pure Quad. has everything on it that you would put on it later.. comes from the factory ready to rock and roll. its one of those quads you buy and ride rather than buy and modify. think about it. (personally one of my fav's atm).

The Grizz 700 is the same again this year.

same with the 750 BF

.. this is assuming your only wants are the big bore quads.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you are right now, I want to pick up a big bore in May. Right now I have it narrowed down to Brute Force 750, King Quad 750/700 or Grizzly 700. I'm not looking at Polaris because they are heavy, and I never had good experiences with them. Arctic Cat are wayy too heavy. Outlander is too expensive.

-King quad is good in many aspects, espescially price, but if you get it you must at least snorkel the CVT exhaust.
-Brute Force has awsome power, but has the worst reliability among the 3.
-Grizzly is good in all aspects, but the price is what's gonna keep me away.

So right now I'm mostly looking for a 08+ Brute Force, because of EFI. I'm also looking at the King Quad 700/750FI. I'm thinking I could get a King Quad 700 for around $5500. If anyone has a good price on these, let me know. :beer:

Good luck

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies and opinions. I am doing my internet searching and will be visiting some local dealers to see what the new machines are up to but likely I will be looking at something that is 2-3 years old unless I really feel I am going to get lots of use out of a brand new quad.

The Outlander 800's - great machines, I was aware of upgrading to some good skid plates and I am already a doo guy some Bombardier is where I would like to stay but I am open to something other...

The Suzuki KQ I have right now is borrowed and even with the newer rubber and HMF exhaust I find it lacking some power.

I haven't done much research on the Kawi's. Mostly I think back to the mid to late 80's when I was running around on KX's and I guess their reliability issues stuck in my mind.

I thought the ArticCat engines were made by Suzuki?

The main reason I wanted to post here as well as the researching I am doing is because of the great local info you get from guys/gals who ride in the same type of areas. Thanks again.

AC4life

Reaction score
was it the 750 KQ of the 700 KQ? I have the 750 and find it to have more then enough power, and i ride in some pretty raunchy country. Northern saskabush!!! I have owned a brute force 750 and the v-twin sure did have more bottom end, but not enough to make me miss it!

Top Bottom