Opinions doing top end on a doo 800

JFedup

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think is the better way to go with doing the top end on my 05 summit 800? Doo parts? What dealer? Upgrades while she is opened up? Let me know, thanks...:confused:

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have just ordered the top end kit with a head from RK Tek for my 08 800R. They really seems to have a handle on the top end issues that our BRP sleds have and a solution for them. Pricing was ok too. Their website is RK Tek 2-Stroke Heads Kelsey there maybe able to help you out.

JFedup

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I will check them out.
I have just ordered the top end kit with a head from RK Tek for my 08 800R. They really seems to have a handle on the top end issues that our BRP sleds have and a solution for them. Pricing was ok too. Their website is RK Tek 2-Stroke Heads Kelsey there maybe able to help you out.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I will probably get flamed for poopooing your plan to freshen up the top end, but if you are in love with the sled, or don't wanna trade up for whatever reason, I am afraid that you may be in for some hurtin. I think that when you liven up the top end that you will, shortly after experience a crank issue (or could) that will make your cash outlay for a top end a waste. After that it is not inconceivable that you will have stator issues followed shortly by recoil and then chaincase issues. All of that on a ride that was not known for having a particularly great rear suspension. What a great time of year to sell a sled though!!

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup kelsey knows his stuff if he says it works IT WILL WORK! kelsey is one of the best in the business

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I will probably get flamed for poopooing your plan to freshen up the top end, but if you are in love with the sled, or don't wanna trade up for whatever reason, I am afraid that you may be in for some hurtin. I think that when you liven up the top end that you will, shortly after experience a crank issue (or could) that will make your cash outlay for a top end a waste. After that it is not inconceivable that you will have stator issues followed shortly by recoil and then chaincase issues. All of that on a ride that was not known for having a particularly great rear suspension. What a great time of year to sell a sled though!!

I think that is why snopro asked how many km's. Sometimes a guy can't afford a new ride so you gotta go with what you got, and your resale will be lower because someone is going to have to R&R it anyway. I wouldn't expect to pay top $$ for a sled that needed some work. Depends on what you are using it for, the rear susp might not be that big a deal to the average rider. I'm not sure about the recoil or chaincase issues, and if so, they are pretty cheap fixes. Depending on mileage, stator maybe, bottom end for sure if >3000 kms, just get a shortblock.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had good luck with the MCB dual ring set-up in my '04 800. It came with caged wrist pin bearings as well. I also did the reeds as well and replaced them v-force 3 ones as the boots were starting to come apart. You may want to delete the thermostat as well-personal preference here. I only had 1400 miles on the sled when I did all this.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's more than 3500km, I would just switch out the top end with MCB dual ring pistons and ride it. They have a good track record and are only $325.

Go through the sled and make sure everything is up to par and you should be fine. The bottom ends are good till 6000km. The 2005 was a good year Probably the best sled I owned. Check your reed boots, switch them out if they are delaminating. 2007 reed boots were the fix, or boyesen rage cage.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did he ever solve that issue about how to overcome the crank speed sensor on the E-TEC?? LOL

Yup kelsey knows his stuff if he says it works IT WILL WORK! kelsey is one of the best in the business

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a 04 last year with Trygstads Piston's and wider ring and its still going strong motors got over 5000 miles on it.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should safely be able to go to 3500 to 4000 km on the factory motor. Don't be led in that the factory pistons have all these issues, A hundred thousand pistons are out there running just fine. You won't see any performance gain with the magical pistons. If your compression is up to snuff, then save some time and money and enjoy the sled. Pull the carbs, and reeds off and look inside if there is any scoring and go from there.

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pistons were ok in the '04-'06 but they had issues with the rings flaking. Mine were starting to flake at 1400km. I believe they fixed that issue and the new stock rings are good for more miles than the old ones.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$300 for a set of MCB dual rings with all of the gaskets, bearings, and everything you need. Pretty cheap insurance.

Or you could pay more for a set of Kelseys magical pistons. He could try to explain to us how they are better........but we wouldnt understand.

Top Bottom